These cottages dating from the early 19th century were built into the side of Warr Hill and had doors on one side only. A garden now occupies the site. Above the end house can be seen the mortuary with the hearse house beneath.
Between the roofs of the cottages and the church
can be seen the upper storey of the Black Bull's
Head, built into the side of the churchyard. The
building was closed in 1911 and was later demolished,
but the doorway and datestone, inscribed 1769, remain.
Ann NUTTALL was the Black Bull's Head last landlady.
From Longdendale in Retrospect by Joyce Powell,
first published 1977, second edition 1984
Original photograph from Tameside
Local Studies Library