These houses stood in the north east corner of Wedneshough. The left hand house bore a datestone of 1772. Like several other similar houses in the area, they were probably built to house the home workers in the expanding textile trade of the late 18th century.
During the 19th century these particular houses, with their
spacious accommodation previously used for living and working
in, became lodging houses for the influx of people who arrived
to work in the mills and print works.
Other lodging houses stood on Cinder Hill at the other end
of Wedneshough near the Coach Road. One of these was occupied
by a man called TYRELL and his wife. TYRELL was entered
in the 1851 census return as a "journeyman papermaker
and lodging house keeper." His lodgers included a journeyman
hatter and his wife, a hatter's apprentice, a journeyman
tinman and his wife, a railway labourer, a journeyman blacksmith
and his wife and their five children.
The lodging houses alone could not cope with the demand
for accommodation and the census for 1851 and 1861 show
that many people took in lodgers and boarders even when
they had large families of their own.
Wedneshough Green was home to a number of the GODDARD family
at various times, including John,
From Longdendale in Retrospect by Joyce Powell, first published
1977, second edition 1984
Original photograph from Tameside
Local Studies Library