8 February 1902

A serious accident occurred on Monday to a lamplighter, named Daniel MACDONALD, aged 61, residing at 38 Hill-street, Ashton. He had mounted a ladder and was engaged in cleaning a lamp at the corner of Bentinck-street and Blandford-street, when the ladder slipped and MACDONALD was precipitated to the ground, his head coming in contact with the pavement.

He was picked up by Ernest SNOW, shoemaker, of 82 Bentinck-street, Ashton, and was carried into a shop. He was suffering, apparently, from internal injuries as well as injuries to the head, and vomited a considerable quantity of blood. Dr BOWMAN was sent for, and on his advice MACDONALD was removed to the District Infirmary on an ambulance. The extent of his injuries could not be ascertained, but they are supposed to be serious.

The sanitary authorities of the town were on Thursday notified of a fresh case of smallpox, the victim being a young man residing in Minto-street, Ashton. Within two hours of the outbreak the patient was removed to the borough infectious hospital and the house in Minto-street fumigated, and the members of the family have been re-vaccinated and immured for 14 days.

The sanitary authorities are unable to trace the cause, the house being clean and well looked after, but it is conjectured that the victim has been in contact with someone suffering from smallpox, probably in some other town. A recommendation has been made by the sanitary authorities that the hands at the mill where he worked be re-vaccinated.

Smart Punishment

At the Ashton Borough Court, on Monday, a diminutive fellow named Edward KELLY was charged with committing an aggravated assault upon a young woman named Mary ADDENBROOKE on 25th January. He pleaded guilty.

Complainant stated that on the date named, defendant came into Mr CATLOW's shop, Stamford-street, with a begging letter. She told him she had nothing to give him. He stood there, and did not offer to leave the shop and asked her if she could give him something at any other time. She told him he need not call again. He then began to talk in a familiar manner, and became impertinent.

She went round the counter, opened the door, and told him he had better go. He tried to catch hold of her hand, and stood at the corner of the counter for a good while. He made as though he was going behind the counter. She went to intercept him, and then he got hold of her and threw her on the floor.– The Clerk: Hadn't you a good thick stick in the shop? If you had, you would have been justified in giving him a good hiding.

Defendant said he was very sorry it had happened, and if the Bench would look over it he would see that it never occurred again.– The Clerk: The Bench don't look over things like this. You go into a shop with a begging letter for support, and because the young lady does not think fit to give you anything, you make offensive overtures to her and assault her. It is a pity she had not a good thick stick in the shop. Had you been in other shops? – Defendant: No. I had a drop of drink.

Witness: After he had gone out I locked the door, but he returned and tried to enter again.– The Clerk: Where do you come from? – Defendant: I live at 39 Tatton-street.– The Clerk: Why didn't you go out when she ordered you out of the shop? – Defendant: I had a drop of drink. Look over it this time. I am sorry it has happened.

Mr T D STEEL: Hadn't you been in several shops that night? – Defendant: No.– Mr STEELD: Do you remember being at my place? – Defendant: Where is that? – The Clerk: Mr STEEL, tailor, Stamford-street.– Defendant: Oh yes, I called there.– Mr STEEL: And you went into the Liberal Club in Stamford-street.– Defendant: No sir.

Councillor CATLOW wished to say a word. He said the defendant had been to his premises several times with these begging letters, saying that he was collecting for a hawker's license. The authorities would not grant a license to a person with a character such as the defendant possessed. He has a very strong suspicion that defendant on one occasion robbed the shop till sometime before. On the Saturday night, when he came into the shop, Miss ADDENBROOKE said, "Mr CATLOW is not in,' and defendant said, ' Oh, I well know that.' – The Clerk: You were not there, Mr CATLOW, and you cannot give that evidence.

Mr CATLOW added the defendant had been a great nuisance to tradesmen for some time. He was knew he was in the Liberal Club prior to coming into his shop that night.– In reply to the Bench, the Chief Constable said defendant had been up five times, four for stealing. It was an offence going round with this begging letter as well.– The Chairman (Mr Henry HALL) told defendant they looked upon it as a very serious case, and they had decided to commit him to prison for six months. Perhaps it would be a lesson to him not to do anything of that sort again.

James Patrick LAMB, one of the prisoners who were sentenced to nine months' hard labour and 18 strokes with the cat, was brought up again at the close of the business at the Manchester Assizes on Friday. His Lordship, addressing him, said he was informed by the prison doctor that prisoner was suffering from disease of the left shoulder, and that a flogging might produce further trouble. He had, under the circumstances, to alter the sentence, and although prisoner richly deserved the flogging, he would be sentenced to an additional nine months' hard labour instead, making 18 months in all.

At the Ashton Borough Police Court on Monday, a young man named John Joseph MILNER was summoned for travelling on the Great Central Railway without having paid his fare on the 4th instant; also with giving a false name and address. He pleaded guilty.

Inspector COTTRILL prosecuted, and said it was one of the worst cases that had been brought before the court for some considerable time. Defendant was a watchmaker working at Oldham, and lived at Hooley Hill. On the 2nd instant, when the ticket examiner came to examine tickets at Guidebridge, defendant said, 'Weekly, weekly.' Asked to produce it, he fumbled in his pockets until the train started, and he was allowed to proceed. On the Saturday morning, the collector came across him again, and defendant said as before, 'weekly.' 'Let me see it,' said the examiner, and he produced two tickets – one from Guidebridge to Oldham, and the other Guidebridge to Ashton Oldham-road. Both tickets were out of date.

He was asked for his name and address, and gave J HADFIELD, Water-street, Hooley Hill. Witness visited that address, and no such name was known there. As he had observed, it was one of the worst cases they had come across for a long time, and he might inform the Bench that these cases of giving false addresses were very much upon the increase, therefore he asked for a heavy penalty.

The Clerk: What have you got to say? – Defendant: I have got nothing to say that I know of.– The Clerk: I suppose you know that railway companies expect people to pay for travelling on their lines? Are you a watchmaker? – Defendant: Yes.– The Clerk: If anyone leaves a watch to be cleaned, and you do the work, you expect to be paid for it.– Defendant: Yes.– The Clerk: And the railway company expect you to pay to travel on their lines. Why did you give a false name and address? – Defendant: I was a bit upset just then.– The Clerk: Why did you say 'weekly?' – Defendant: I admit I am guilty to that.– The Bench imposed a fine of 20s and costs in each case, with 2s for witnesses expenses.– Total 3 7s, in default one month.

Edward WARHURST was summoned for a like offence on the 14th. When the case was called, Mr J B POWNALL rose, and said he had only just been instructed and his client desired an adjournment for a week. Mr COTTRILL does not object, providing the defendant paid the witnesses expenses.– Inspector COTTRILL asked that the summons should be amended to the 15th.– The adjournment was granted.

Annie PRINGLE, an elderly woman, was also charged with travelling without paying her fare and giving a false name and address on the 21st.– Defendant said she had lost her half-ticket.– The Clerk: And you gave a false address? – Defendant: I had flitted from there three weeks before.– Inspector COTTRILL said the defendant was a passenger by the 5.10am train from Manchester to Guidebridge. In the same carriage was an employee of the company, and he saw her with 2d in her hand all the way. On passing the exit door at Guidebridge she tendered 2d and said 'Gorton.' The employee then said, 'You have come from Manchester.' She then said, 'Oh yes,' and wanted to pay another 21/2d. She gave her name and an address at 85 Town-lane, Denton, but he found she had not been there for a considerable time.

Her proper address was Wild-street, Hyde-road. When he went to her house to see her about it, her son was very abusive and said, 'If you take her before the magistrates we can pay, I expect.' – Defendant: Was I abusive? No, but you did not stop your son.– Defendant said she had lost her half-ticket, and proffered 2d in place of 41/2d. She wished the gentleman who was in the train was present.– Inspector COTTRILL said he was, and called him as a witness, somewhat to the defendant's confusion. He produced a Testament of his own from his pocket to be sworn upon, which drew the remark from the Clerk that it would be well if everyone brought their own.

Witness, whose name did not transpire, said he travelled by the 5.10 from Manchester to Guidebridge in the same carriage as the defendant. He saw her with 2d in her hand all the way, and at Guidebridge she tendered it to the collector with the remark, 'Gorton.' In reply to the defendant, he said he did not see her turn out her pockets in the carriage. In fact, she did nothing of the kind.– The Chairman remarked that the witness could have no object in coming there to tell untruths.

Defendant said she had no more to say except that she did not give a wrong address. It was simply her old address.– The Clerk: Your son says you are prepared to pay.– Defendant: If he is, I am not.– The Clerk: Very likely he will, then.– The Bench fined defendant 5s and costs for the first offence, and 5s 6d for costs in the second case; in default 14 days.

Henry JONES was before Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, and pleaded guilty to being drunk on licensed premises on January 18th.for which he was fined 10s for costs.

BICYCLE RIDING ON THE FOOTPATH.– A youth named Rowland MILLER was before the Ashton County Justices, on Wednesday, charged with riding a bicycle on the footpath At Hurst on January 18th.– Defendant pleaded guilty, and gave as an excuse that the roadway was dirty, and he had no mud-guards on.– The Magistrates: If the roadway was so dirty, why ride a bicycle.– Defendant was fined 5s.

TAKING A FRIEND HOME.– Alfred MARLAND and Michael SPELMAN were before the Ashton County Justices on Wednesday, charged with being drunk and disorderly at Hurst on January 20th.– MARLAND pleaded guilty to being drunk, but not guilty to being disorderly, and SPELMAN pleaded not guilty to both charges.– A constable stated that at 10 past 10 on the night in question he saw the two defendants in Hillgate-street, Hurst, drunk, and creating a disturbance, shouting and using bad language.– Defendant SPELMAN said he only got hold of MARLAND to take him home as he was drunk. He did not think he was doing anything wrong, or he should not have touched him.– Superintendent HEWITT said there were seven previous convictions recorded against MARLAND, and one against SPELMAN.– Defendants were each fined 5s 6d.

A MONEY SQUABBLE.– Thomas HENSHAW and Sarah Ann JONES pleaded not guilty at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, to a charge of committing a breach of the peace at Hurst on January 18th.– A constable stated that about five minutes to eleven on the night in question he saw the defendants fighting in Matley-street, Hurst, and had to separate them.– Defendant HENSHAW said that JONES owed his wife a bit of money, and he sent his little 'wench' to ask for it. He also went to the house, and the door was banged in his face. JONES came out of the house, and hit him on the top of the head with her clog.– JONES said she did not know HENSHAW before this occurrence. She owed him 1s 2d. He rushed at her and struck her on the face, and kicked her on the leg.– Defendants were bound over in 40s to keep the peace for three months.– The female defendant preferred to go down, and she passed into the dock.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.
Use OpenDNS