12 July 1902


A sad fatality occurred in Stamford-street, Cockbrook, Ashton, about midnight on Monday, the victim being Charles DUNNING, aged 53 years, residing at 109 Holden-street, Ashton, and employed as a carter for the Ashton Corporation. Deceased it appears was engaged in the removal of refuse from Higham Fold, Cockbrook, and left there about 12.20am in charge of a horse and cart heavily laden with refuse. He was walking at the time.

Constable DIXON, whilst on his beat, found the deceased lying on his back on the tram rails in Stamford-street. He was then alive, but immediately afterwards took one gasp and expired. Constable DIXON sent for the horse ambulance and deceased was taken to the surgery of Dr HUGHES, who pronounced life extinct. It is conjectured that deceased was attempting to on to the shaft of the cart, and that he fell off and the load passed over him.

Mr POTTER, the Sanitary Superintendent, wished on behalf of the Sanitary Committee, to convey to Mrs DUNNING and family their deepest sympathy for them in their sad bereavement. He also wished to say that the deceased had worked under him for fifteen years, and during that time he had always been steady, and attended to his duties.

The inquest was held in the Court-room, Town Hall, on Wednesday evening by Mr E BIRCH, deputy coroner. – Samuel BROWN, foreman carter in the employ of the Ashton Corporation, said that the deceased left the Corporation Yard at 11.30pm on the 7th inst. About 12.20 midnight witness was driving a horse and cart to Cockbrook, and met deceased’s horse and cart returning. He did not notice any driver. On going a few yards further he saw deceased lying in the road near the Co-operative Stores. Constable DIXON was with him.

Constable DIXON deposed to finding deceased on his back on the tram-rails, Stamford-street, near to Currier Slacks. He was alive, but when witness got to him he appeared to take one gasp and expired. Witness telephoned for the horse ambulance, and deceased was taken to the surgery of Dr HUGHES, who pronounced life extinct. Deceased’s left arm was fractured, and there were injuries to the head and left hip. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

Presentation at Waterloo

The spondee held in connection with the Waterloo Coronation celebrations were not completed on Coronation day, and were continued last Saturday in a field at Waterloo, and during their progress an interesting ceremony took place in the shape of a presentation of a Royal Humane Society’s certificate to Wm LOWE, hawker, of Ashton.

About 5pm on the 3rd May, 1902, May THOMPSON, of Oldham-road, Waterloo, attempted to commit suicide by jumping into the canal at Bardsley. Wm LOWE was passing along Oldham-road, and on being told what had happened ran along the canal bank to the place.
A number of people were already there, but did not render the woman any help. LOWE at once jumped into the water, and at great risk to himself, the water being ten feet deep, rescued the woman, and brought her to the canal bank and conveyed her home to her friends.

Sergeant DOVE, on hearing the particulars of the case, made full enquiries, and concluded that LOWE’s conduct was worthy of some acknowledgement, and reported the particulars to the Royal Humane Society in London, who forwarded the certificate.

Councillor H JOHNSON made the presentation in eulogistic terms, and said that during the last seven years there had been 29 drowning cases at this particular place. The total for the townships of Waterloo, Bardsley, Woodhouses, and Littlemoss was 46 drowning cases, 61 deaths from other causes, 107 inquests, 14 rescues from drowning, and two Royal Humane Society certificates presented. The recipient acknowledged the presentation in suitable terms

An inquest was held at the Rose and Crown Hotel, Ashton, on Tuesday forenoon, by Mr E BIRCH, deputy coroner, on the body of a boy named James DALE, 36 John-street, Ashton, who met his death as the result of an accident at the West End playground.

Frederick JONES, aged 10 years, a companion of the deceased, gave evidence in which he contradicted a statement made that deceased was swinging when some bigger boys came on the scene, and one of them pushed him off, and he fell on his head on the ground. The reason, he said, that he made that statement was that deceased told him on the way home not to tell his mother how the accident happened.

The real facts were that they were playing “tick” on the parallel bars, when deceased did not quite get hold with his right hand, and fell to the ground, alighting on the right side of his head. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, Mr J HURST applied on behalf of Ralph KENYON and John DUXBURY, executors of Ralph KENYON deceased, for permission to sell at the Old Nook Inn, Hurst. Granted.

HURST BAND CLUB.– On Tuesday evening a smoking concert was held at the above club by the Ashton Lyric Glee Singers. The first part of the concert was given on the bowling green and afterwards in the billiard room. Mr Tom PLATT occupied the chair, supported by Mr Alfred ADAMS, the president of the club. Mr PLATT presented to the club a gold medal to be bowled for by the members. The Lyric glee singers gave a varied selection of glees, songs &c, in a most artistic manner. Mr Will CHARLTON’s humorous selections created roars of laughter, and Mr John GARDNER was an excellent accompanist.

Charles WHITEHEAD pleaded guilty, at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, to allowing two horses to stray at Waterloo on June 14th, and was fined 5s for costs.

BREACH OF THE PEACE.– Alice TAYLOR pleaded guilty at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, to committing a breach of the peace at Waterloo on June 14th, and was bound over in 40s to keep the peace for three months.– Harry LOFT and Alfred BLAKE were also charged with committing a similar offence on June 18th.– BLAKE appeared and pleaded not guilty, and LOFT failed to appear.– The magistrates issued a warrant for the arrest of LOFT, and the case was adjourned until the warrant was executed.

ACCIDENT TO A GIRL.– A regrettable accident occurred in the playground of the Christ Church Branch School, Waterloo, on Tuesday afternoon. It appears that alterations were being carried out in connection with the school, and a quantity of planks for scaffolding purposes were lying in the yard. A number of day school scholars were playing in the school yard, when one of them, a little girl named DITCHFIELD, residing in Newmarket-road, Waterloo, mounted the planks, and whilst doing so fell to the ground, and fractured her arm in two places. A doctor was sent for and attended to the injured arm.

LAMBS OR SHEEP.– Samuel MATHER pleaded not guilty, at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, to a charge of allowing eight sheep to stray at Waterloo on June 8th.– Constable KNOWLES stated that at about twenty minutes to one on the morning in question he found eight sheep straying in Oldham-road, Waterloo, and h put them into a field and learned that they belonged to the defendant.

Defendant said he had nine lambs turned out in a field, and left them all right in the field at nine o’clock at nigh, and they were there at six o’clock in the following morning.– The Magistrates’ Clerk: There is no great distinction whether they were lambs or sheep. They were straying. (To Constable KNOWLES): Were these lambs or sheep? They were biggish ones.– Who claimed them? Samuel MATHER. The sheep were put back in the same field as they came from, but I did not know.– Defendant asked for an adjournment for a week to enable him to produce a writ, and the magistrates granted the request.

Banquet at the Dukinfield Town Hall

Alma Bridge
Click on image for bigger picture
On Thursday evening a banquet to celebrate the purchase of Alma Bridge by the County Councils of Lancashire and Cheshire and the Corporations of Ashton-under-Lyne and Dukinfield, and the freeing of the bridge from toll, was held in the Dukinfield Town Hall. Covers were laid in the Council Chamber for some 60 guests, and the catering was in the capable hands of Mr and Mrs T BORSEY, Astley Arms. The room had been tastefully decorated by Mr Joe FISHER, and presented a charming appearance. The Mayor of Dukinfield (Councillor W E WOOD) presided.

The Chairman proposed “His Majesty the King,” and ventured to say that he did not remember a time when this toast could be drunk with greater acceptance than upon an occasion like this, and at a time when his Majesty had been suffering so long from a serious illness.– (Hear, hear.) With regard to the Prince of Wales, he believed he would make a worthy successor to the King, but they all hoped that day might be far distant.– (Hear, hear.) During the illness of the King the Prince of Wales had performed his duties in an admirable manner, and had been ably seconded by the Princess.– (Applause.)

Mr J O LAWTON proposed “The Army and Navy,” and said he yielded to no one in his admiration for the services. He complimented Colonel EATON and the battalion he commanded on their excellent services during the South African war by the various sections they had sent out. He also complimented Colonel EATON upon having received the distinguished honour of a C.B. at the hands of his Majesty the King.– (Hear, hear.)

Colonel EATON, C.B., responded to the toast, and said there was a time when perhaps he might not have felt justified in replying to this toast, but now the volunteers had become, as it were, an integral part of the army he might fairly reply, although they preferred to put it “the Imperial forces of Great Britain.” He was very much obliged to Mr LAWTON for the kind manner in which he had proposed the toast, and especially for the manner in which he referred to the distinction his Majesty the King had been pleased to confer upon himself.– (Hear, hear.)

Click on image for bigger picture
He took it that it was an honour to the corps which he had commanded during the last 17 years, and been a member of for nearly 40 years.– (Hear, hear.) The battalion had played their part in the recent war. They had sent out 109 men and six officers, and his eldest son was commanding a company there now. He did not think any towns in the country had done better than Ashton, Stalybridge and Dukinfield, in sending out men to the front. They had all done their duty admirably.– (Hear, hear.)

Alderman H PRATT proposed “Success to Alma Bridge.” He said they felt that a stumbling block had been removed from the bridge by the removal of the toll bar. He sincerely hoped that other bars in their district would be removed.– (Laughter.) He meant bars that were detrimental to the health and happiness of the people who lived in their midst. There was the bar of insanitary dwellings. That was a bar which they would be delighted to see removed.– (Hear, hear.)

They knew that some of the homes in which people had to live were not healthy homes, and they all hoped that the infantile mortality would be considerably reduced. He hoped before long to see the electric tramways running over Alma Bridge.– (Hear, hear.) He had no doubt that the Corporations of Ashton-under-Lyne and Dukinfield would be able to come to some amicable terms and carry out a workable scheme, whereby the bridge might be very successful in carrying passengers from Ashton to Dukinfield and vice versa.– (Hear, hear.)

Councillor STAFFORD said it was one of his proudest moments to be in at the “wake” of the toll bar. The Mayor had cautioned him not to commit himself, but he was quite prepared to take care of himself. He hoped he should not say one angry word that would hurt anyone’s feelings. The Mayor had truly said they had done some spade work in the past, and he was glad that the toll bar was not only abolished but demolished.– (Hear, hear.)

It was like Tom BOWLING, it had gone aloft.– (Laughter.) Perhaps it might have been done in a different way than the East Ward thought.– (Laughter.) He had never had to admit yet that there were wiser in any other part of town than in the east.– (Hear, hear.) Perhaps the Mayor would have to decide what should be done with the relics of the toll bar, such as the hinges, screws, funeral cards &c.– (Laughter.)

There were many people in the town who ventured to say that he had been at the bottom of all this. However that might be, he thought everyone in the town now rejoiced that it had been done, and were only too delighted that the obstruction had been removed and an end put to private monopoly in the town. It was surprising that it had been allowed to exist for so many years.– (Hear, hear.)

County Councillor G H KENYON proposed “The Guests.” He said he was old enough to remember crossing the river on stepping stones where Alma Bridge now stood. He had done it many times. He could also remember standing on the new bridge looking with something like wonder when the river was in flood.– (Hear, hear.) There had been a great change in other respects, in the streets, roads, bridges, sanitary arrangements, and their new Town Hall.– (Hear, hear.)

He was glad that Mr BULL was present to represent the guests, and he was connected with the roads and bridges of the county, it was fitting he should respond. They were celebrating the abolition of the toll bar. He did not know of more than two others in the country existing upon county roads. He thought there was one at Wallesey and another at Henley-on-Thames. In the midst of a commercial community like this, toll bars were out of place, and they were all delighted to see the Alma Bridge toll bar removed.– (Hear, hear.)
Mr BULL responded, and said he hoped to see more of the people of Dukinfield during the construction of the new bridge at Whitelands.– (Hear, hear.)

Dr E LAWRENCE’s electrograph exhibition is at present on a visit to Ashton Market -Ground. The exhibition opened yesterday (Friday), and will continue to-day (Saturday) and Monday. Apart from the meritorious items constituting the ordinary programme, there is an additional and undoubtedly very great attraction in the person of Buglar DUNNE, the plucky youngster whose heroism at the battle of Tugella(?) on the occasion of one of the most fiery ordeals in the history of military powers – the terrible operations under General BULLER at the most trying and critical period of the late war in South Africa – excited the wonder and admiration of the Kingdom, and the outcome was that he was commanded to appear before Her late Majesty Queen Victoria at Osborne, and received at her hands a new bugle to substitute the one which he lost during those ever memorable charges, also a sort of khaki, and a portrait of Her late Majesty.

He was then but a lad of 14, and in consequence of wounds received from shrapnel shells in the arms and chest he was invalided out of the army, one chest wound having caused a valvular affection of the heart, which precluded him from blowing his bugle and put an end to his promising military career. Even after receiving his wounds at the battle of the Tugela, it is said this plucky youth pressed forward and continued to do his duty. Amid a perfect hail of lead he was ordered to sound the advance, but on trying to raise the instrument to his lips he found that a shrapnel bullet had prostrated his right arm and rendered it useless.

he paid no further heed to this for the time but simply used his left hand, sounded the call required of him, and plunged into the water and began to wade with those who were as yet fit and well, although he was burdened with 28lbs of ammunition. On the way across he received a second gunshot wound in the left breast, which set up the vulvular affection of the heart before referred to.

The bugle presented to Bugler DUNNE by Her late Majesty, Queen Victoria, bears the following inscription on a silver plate:– “Presented to Buglar John Francis DUNNE, 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fussiliers, by Queen Victoria, to replace the bugle lost by him on the field of battle on 15th December, 1899, when he was wounded.” Buglar DUNNE was granted a shilling a day for twelve months.
Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.
Use OpenDNS