3 October 1903

The Use of the Knife

The domestic troubles of a Waterloo married couple were unfolded to the Ashton county justices, on Wednesday, when Mary H JONES summoned her husband, Thomas JONES, for persistent cruelty. JONES, who is better known in the Waterloo district by the name of “Blossom,” was the man who was severely kicked in a fight at Waterloo some months ago, in which it was alleged he was the aggressor. He was dangerously injured, and had to be removed home on an ambulance. He pleaded not guilty to the charge of cruelty.

The wife stated that they were married 16 years ago, and there were seven children. He had been in the habit of turning her and the children out after everybody had gone to bed and no one could take them in. He would not give her sufficient of his wages to keep the children and had ill-used her several times. A few weeks ago he threw a cup at her causing her arm to be black. He also threw a knife at her, and it stuck in the wall. She was afraid to live with him.

In reply to the Clerk, complainant said she had had a separation order once before for persistent cruelty, but went back to live with the defendant. — The Clerk: I suppose if the magistrates make another order you will go back? No; I can work for myself and children. — Does he drink? Yes; he ought to be put on the black list, he would be a better man then. — (Laughter.) — The Clerk said he knew the defendant, who charged another man with unlawfully wounding him some little time ago. Defendant, he believed was the aggressor.

A neighbour, named Mary Ellen WINTERBOTTOM, said the husband had a bad character and got drunk. He had ill-used his wife and children, and witness had taken them into her house many a time. He’d turned them out at after one o’clock one morning.

Defendant said he never laid a finger on his wife. She went out of the house and took the children with her. — Complainant stated her husband was receiving 24s per week wages and he had only been giving her amounts ranging from 10s to 15s a week. He had given her nothing of last week’s earnings, and had the money in his pocket. — The magistrates granted a separation order, the husband to contribute 7s a week to his wife, the latter to have custody of the children.

Audenshaw Hawker Fined at Ashton

An interesting case, the first of its kind, was brought before the Ashton county justices on Wednesday, in which Jas. TOMLINSON, a celery hawker, was summoned under the county bye-laws made in May of the present year, No 4 of which states that no person shall for the purpose of hawking or distributing any article call or shout continuously in any street so as to cause annoyance to any resident. The defendant failed to appear.

Evidence was given by a constable that the defendant was shouting celery in the streets and a man named TAYLOR made a complaint. — The Magistrates’ Clerk: was there someone ill or something? No; he not think it was good enough to shout on a Sunday. — It would not have mattered then if it had been Monday? He said it was very annoying. — The magistrates imposed a fine of 2s 6d for costs.

The revising barrister, Mr Timothy O’Brien O’FEELEY, sat at the courtroom, Ashton Town Hall, on Tuesday forenoon, for the revision of the lists of voters in respect of the county area including Waterloo, Bardsley, Audenshaw, Woodhouses, Littlemoss, Alt, Hartshead, &c. In addition to the revising barrister there were present Messrs D F HOWORTH (assistant overseer), N NORRIS (assistant overseer Stalybridge), A C WHITTINGHAM (Conservative agent Prestwich Division), J C BUCKLEY (Conservative agent) Sim SCHOFIELD (Liberal agent Prestwich Division), H RADCLIFFE, and W H HUGHES.

Prior to the arrival of the revising barrister, who had missed his train, the two political agents went through most of the objections throughout the division, and where the proper qualification was forthcoming the vote was allowed by mutual arrangement, and the subsequent agreement of the revising barrister. By this method much time was saved, and many persons were spared the necessity of attending the court.

The Rev C H BAGOTT, former curate of the Ashton Parish Church, attended at the court in support of a claim for a vote in respect of St George’s Church Vicarage, to which formal objection had been made by the Liberals in order that he might attend and prove his right. As so many bogus claims had been put in in the past both political agents had agreed to object to all new ownership claims. The Rev C H BAGOTT produced a document in proof of his induction, and was told his vote was allowed.

He asked for expenses, but was told they did not allow expenses on a first claim, to which the rev. gentleman replied that he did not think it fair that he should have to come so far for his vote. Moreover he had not claimed the vote. — Mr D F HOWORTH: Someone has claimed the vote for you. — The Vicar thereupon took his departure.

Alderman ANDREW’s vote on the ownership list in respect of property in Mill-lane, Ashton, was primarily objected to by the Liberals, whose agent in the meantime had withdrawn the objection, and so notified the Conservative agent. Alderman ANDREW attended in court, and said he had received no notice that the objection had been withdrawn, and wished to know who was going to pay his expenses, and why he should be objected to three years in succession?

Mr SCHOFIELD: We have got wrong information altogether. — Mr ANDREW: That won’t suit me; I want some expenses for coming here. — Mr WHITTINGHAM: the objection is withdrawn. — Mr ANDREW: Well, then I might as well go home then. I suppose you will have some sort of excuse next year? — (Laughter.) — Mr WHITTINGHAM: No, I do not think so. — Mr ANDREW then left the court.

Sir,— I somewhat surprised to read the letter on “Unfair Municipal Competition,” written by Mr John Brown WILSON, which appeared in you last week’s issue. To my mind the Technical School is a great boon to the working classes, and is intended for those who cannot afford to have private tuition. I do not think for a moment that the gain to local instructors would compensate for the great loss to the working people of the town if the classes which he mentions were given up.

The arguments which he uses in regard to music could be used in regard to languages, art subjects, chemistry, electricity &c. Where is the private tutor who possesses the appliances, instruments, and equipment necessary to a thorough mastery of the various subjects referred to, not to mention the terms? There is also another point which should not be overlooked. The rates paid by local instructors would not compare favourably with the rates paid by those whose children have passed and are passing through the Technical School. This alone, I think, is sufficient material ground for the school’s existence and its curricula.

Mr WILSON’s plea is one for a few, and not for the many, and if the objection were to end the classes we should go backward instead of forward. The classes themselves speak for a broad and generous spirit; a stimulant to the humblest student in noble and lofty endeavour. If Mr WILSON is able and willing to provide instruction for the working people of the town, either of a more thorough kind at the same price or the same kind at a cheaper rate, or better and cheaper together, I, for one, feel sure he will earn the gratitude of the students round about.

Thanking you for insertion in anticipation, I am, yours respectfully,
An Old Scholar

DRUNK AND DISORDERLY. — Sarah BROADBENT pleaded guilty at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday to being drunk and disorderly at Bardsley on September 13th, and was fined 5s.

DEATH IN A LODGING HOUSE. — A woman named Sarah Ann HEWITT, formerly of Bardsley, died under curious circumstances at Jacque’s lodging-house in Boardman-street, Oldham, on Saturday night. She had been suffering from a bad cough, and on the previous day was taken worse. It is assumed that her death was caused by taking an overdose of cough medicine. She was 42 years of age. An enquiry was held by the Coroner. The deceased’s body was brought to Bardsley on Thursday morning, and in the afternoon was buried in the burial ground attached to Holy Trinity Church.

UNJUST WEIGHTS. — Edwin DRAYCOTT, coal dealer, was before the Ashton county justices on Wednesday charged with having in his possession two unjust weights at Waterloo, on September 16th. — Inspector CLARKE stated that on the 16th inst he met a lurry containing coal, belonging to the defendant. One of the weights on the scales was 4oz and another 3oz short. — Defendant said the weights had been tested from time to time, and he had no complaint. — The Magistrates’ Clerk: They had no stamp on. — Defendant said he told his man to get the weights stamped. The lead must have dropped out whilst the weights were lifted about. — Fined 6s.

The Ashton Union School Attendance Committee ceased to exist as an educational authority on Wednesday. Quiet “do” — no rosemary, no cakes. The appointed day for the new authority taking over was Thursday, October 1st, and on that day all the old things had passed away, the old order had changed, and everything become new.

The new authority is a bit backward, and some little inconvenience may probably arise, but all will come under consideration and adjustment. The new authority has no officers, no bye-laws; not much of anything yet. One pressing difficulty is, and will be, the children wanting their half-time and full-time papers filling up.

Three applicants went on Thursday to Mr GARTSIDE, late school attendance officer, while at his registration station at Bardsley. It would be a pity for any boy or girl to miss a full-time shop through this reason. The certifying surgeon attending the factories and workshops can bridge over this if age and attendances are right in both cases of half-timers and full-timers.

On Wednesday the Waterloo police were apprised of the sudden death of Mary ROBINSON, aged 79, of 2 Crime-lane, Woodhouses, which took place at 6.45am on that date. It appears that deceased, who lived by herself, had not been well for several days, but no immediate danger had been apprehended by her friends.

On Tuesday Mrs COILE, wife of Thomas COILE, farmer, of Lower Crime Farm, went to give deceased some milk and to put her to bed, and sent for a doctor. On Wednesday, at 6.45am, Mrs COILE sent her son to see how the old lady as progressing, and he returned with the information that she was dead. She was found in a sitting position in her arm chair.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.
Use OpenDNS