10 October 1903

A singular discovery was made in the first-class ladies’ waiting room, Charlestown passenger station, on Friday night shortly before 10 o’clock. A porter engaged at the station, named Harry PEACH, was attracted to the ladies’ first-class waiting room by hearing the cries of a child, and on proceeding to the room he there found a male infant child fully dressed and wrapped in a grey plaid shawl. He at once took the child to the refreshment room where a supply of milk was provided and administered. The porter afterwards gave information to the police, and the child was afterwards taken to the workhouse by the manageress and a constable.

The child had evidently been abandoned some short time previous by some person unknown. The station staff have no suspicion of anyone, and so far no one appears to have any recollection of seeing anyone loitering about in a suspicious manner, which points to the assumption that the person abandoning the child departed immediately afterwards by train.

The child is about six weeks old, eyes grey, hair dark brown, attired in new white shirt, needlework round the neck and sleeves; white flannel binder, taped edges; long white flannel, taped edges, feather-stitched all round, a square of new flannel on chest; white skirt, needlework round sleeves, neck, and edges; small fawn head shawl, with four red stripes as a border; one cotton napkin, and grey and black plaid shawl, large pattern, far worn, fringed edges.

The canal in the neighbourhood of the warehouse at the bottom of Portland-street, Ashton, was the scene of a sensational rescue from drowning about 4.30 on Monday afternoon. Some boys appear to have been playing on the towing path when one of them named Harry BUCKLEY, aged eight years, residing at 95 Charles-street, Ashton, fell into the water.

He was unable to swim, and after struggling in the water for some time he sank, but rose to the surface again. He was fortunately seen by Mr FLETCHER, canal agent for the Great Central Railway Co, who resides close by, and who got him out of the water in an unconscious condition. He carried the boy into his office and tried artificial respiration for some time, ultimately bringing the boy back to consciousness, and saving his life.

Sergeant WILD also appeared on the scene, and rendered every assistance possible. On being sufficiently recovered the boy was accompanied home by the sergeant, apparently none the worse for his remarkable experience.

Some alarm was created in the district on Monday forenoon by an outbreak of fire, which occurred at the works of Messrs Wm BOYES and Son, cabinet makers and upholsterers, Camp-street, Ashton. The fire is supposed to have originated by the overheating of a stove in the second storey, setting fire to a quantity of flocks and several pieces of timber.

The building is two storeys high and four windows in length. Immediately the fire was discovered, information was conveyed by Jas LEIGH to the Town Hall. The fire alarm bells were rung, and the float and a contingent of firemen dispatched with remarkable promptitude in time to prevent the flames spreading, and they were extinguished by a few buckets of water, the damage done being slight.

Shortly after ten o’clock on Wednesday night a fire broke out at the shop of Messrs PENNY and Co, painters and decorators, Mill-lane, Ashton. Information of the outbreak was conveyed to the Police Station by Mr J KENNEDY, and the fire alarm bells were rung and the float with a contingent of firemen, promptly dispatched. Before their arrival, however, the flames had been extinguished by buckets of water. It was found that a cask of vegetable black in the cellar had caught fir, the origin of which was unknown. The damage was slight.

Sequel to the Championship Race at Fallowfield

The accident recorded in Saturday’s issue as happening to W H WHATMOUGH, the Ashton cyclist, on Saturday week, whilst training on the Ashton Athletic Ground for the 25 miles cycling championship, which took place on the Manchester Athletic Club’s ground at Fallowfield on Saturday last, prevented him from competing in the championship, and he was thereby possibly saved from what turned out to be a worse calamity.

Thirteen competitors started in the championship (unpaced). Everything went smoothly up to the fourteenth miles. The ten riders then left in the race were all close together, and going at a good pace. One of them — MASSEY it is reported — swerved owing to the greasy state of the track. LOWCOCK, who was close behind, was unable to avoid the former’s back wheel and was thrown.

The result was all the others, with the exception of BRELSFORD and MASSEY, were brought to the ground. The spill was of an extremely ugly nature, and injuries of a more or less serious character were sustained by six of the riders. WHITEHURST’s head came in contact with one of the iron posts that rail off the track, and blood flowed profusely from the wound. LOWCOCK, BELL and HUGHES were also badly hurt and the four were removed to the infirmary in cab and horse ambulance.

The accident, of course, caused considerable sensation amongst the spectators, and the race was declared void. On inquiry at the infirmary on Sunday night it was ascertained that the three men still detained there — WHITEHURST, HUGHES and TAYLOR — were progressing favourably.

A DANGEROUS PRACTICE. — At the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, before Messrs Sydney MASON and Frederick REYNER, Arthur MAYHEW was charged with discharging a firearm in the street. — An officer stated that at five past eleven on the 30th of last month, he saw defendant discharge a firearm in the highway. When charged he gave a wrong name and address, but afterwards returned to the office and rectified it. — Prisoner said he was very sorry it had occurred, and that it would not happen again. He had a license. — He was fined 5s 6d and costs.

THE TRIALS OF A LODGING-HOUSE. — Before the Ashton County Court Justices on Wednesday, Matilda BARLOW was charged with being drunk and disorderly at Bardsley on the 18th of September. Matilda, in a confidential tone, told the magistrates that “she had gone down a bit in the world, you know, and she wanted to rise, but she was now living in a lodging-house, and — well, their worships knew what life in a lodging-house was.” — (Laughter.) “Now,” she said in a wheedling tone, “will your worships treat me leniently? You can bind me over for as much as you like.” — (Laughter.)

The Magistrates’ Clerk: You do not seem to know what being bound over means. You have been up before. Mrs HOLT, the court missionary, stated that prisoner had a bit of money, but seemed to spend it all in drink. — A constable: She has a bit of property that brings in about 7s a week. — Prisoner, who had been reciting her troubles to Superintendent HEWITT during the evidence, vehemently broke in saying that she would attend chapel while she was in a lodging-house. — (Laughter.) — She was fined 5s 6d for costs.

A very interesting gathering of the employees of the above mills took place in the Ashton-under-Lyne Town Hall on Saturday evening, upwards of 450 people sitting down to a most enjoyable tea. After tea the operatives presented their manager, Mr James CLARKSON, with a beautifully designed solid silver tea and coffee service, in a fine oak case, with a silver plate bearing the following inscription:- “Presented to James CLARKSON, Esq, as a token of respect and esteem, by the operatives of the Atlas, Curzon, and Tudor Mills, on the occasion of his marriage, August 6th 1903.”

Amongst those present on the platform were Mr and Mrs CLARKSON, Mr Samuel NEWTON (chairman of directors), Mr Edwin BARLOW, JP (vice-chairman), his Worship the Mayor (Councillor J B POWNALL), and Mr Lees MARLAND (director); also the officials of the mills.

Mr John H BOWDEN, head carder, of Atlas, occupied the chair, and said they had to show their manager (Mr CLARKSON) the amount of good feeling and respect they had for him; also how pleasing it was to know that such good feeling existed between the management and the workpeople; and further, he sincerely hoped that it would always continue to be so. In their manager they had a man of whom they were justly proud, and by his successful management of Atlas Mill, coupled with his untiring energy, he had succeeded in becoming manager of three of the finest mills in Lancashire.

He then called upon Mr John EVANS, the oldest spinner in the employ of the firm (Atlas Mill Company Limited), who in a few well-chosen words made the presentation on behalf of the operatives.

Mr NEWTON (in response to a call) remarked how pleased he was to see them all enjoying themselves, and he hoped that they would return to work all the better for the social gathering He said that the directors, along with management, had been very severely put to it by the depression in trade and the scarcity of cotton, and he urged upon the workpeople the necessity of always exercising their best abilities to produce good yarn. He stated that the board of directors had every confidence in Mr CLARKSON’s management, and that a good understanding existed all round.

Councillor Edwin BARLOW, JP (vice-chairman), expressed his approbation of Mr CLARKSON’s service. He commented upon the remarkable manner in which he had forged ahead, and stated that it was done entirely through hard work. — His Worship the Mayor also paid tribute to Mr CLARKSON’s services, and said it was a matter for congratulation that the mills had been so uniformly successful.

Mr James CLARKSON then rose to reply, and received a very hearty ovation. On behalf of himself and his wife he tendered to the operatives his sincerest thanks for the very handsome service they had so generously presented to him. He assured them that nothing in his house would be more highly esteemed, and that it would see plenty of active service. He was proud to be in the position he was, and also glad to know that such good feeling existed between the operatives and himself.

When he had concluded, all joined in singing “For he’s a jolly good fellow,” three cheers being given for Mr CLARKSON, and three for Mrs CLARKSON. Dancing and singing then occupied undivided attention until eleven o’clock when the gathering terminated with the usual votes of thanks to the chairman and the singing of “God save the King.” The artistes were Mr C BEAUMONT, tenor, Manchester; Miss DONNELLY, contralto, Bolton; Madam EVANS REID, soprano, Droylsden; Mr Will OAKDEN, humorist, Manchester; and Mr Walter HEAPS, accompanist, Ashton.

The above society commenced the season for the coming winter by holding a social in the school on Saturday evening last. The attendance numbered upwards of 140 members and friends. The entertainment was a most enjoyable one, consisting of selections etc by an orchestral band kindly organised by Mr W H BARKER, and consisting of piano, double bass, cello, cornet, viola, two violins, and piccolo and flute.

The vocalists were Miss Sophie WRIGHT, Miss Mattie FIRTH, and Mr William HASLAM; humorist, Mr Wm BROADBENT, of Dukinfield. Miss WRIGHT greatly pleased her friends by her singing of the “Dear home songs,” and Miss FIRTH was very successful in her rendering of the two songs, “Light in darkness” and “Flight of ages.” The two ladies were also deservedly appreciated for their singing of the duet, “Kilarney.”

Mr HASLAM’s two songs were “Honour bids me speed away” and “Love’s coronation” the last item being very prettily embellished by a violin obligato, excellently played by Mr George HILL. Both Mr HASLAM’s songs were much applauded. Mr BROADBENT was very successful in the two humorous songs, “Our stores” and “Come in.” Mr BARKER, in addition to leading the band, was the accompanist.

Refreshments were sold during an interval, and Mr Jno ROEBUCK, the secretary, sold a good number of syllabuses for the coming season, and also called the attention of the meeting to the excellent programme in store for the members, special attention being called to the Wagner lecture and recital, which is to take place in January.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.
Use OpenDNS