20 June 1903

”Pound” Day at the Audenshaw Home

Saturday was the annual “pound” day in connection with the Audenshaw Home for Waifs and Strays. The inclement weather militated against the success which usually attends the function, although a large number of people were conducted over the premises. The house is one of four similar institutions situated in the Manchester diocese, and is affiliated to the Church of England Society for providing Homes for Waifs and Strays, which is the parent society of no fewer than 58 homes, with a total of 3,000 children.

The Audenshaw branch was established some ten years ago, and up to the present has been attended with much success. Many children have been emigrated to Canada, where they are placed in homes similar to those in this country until suitable employment has been obtained. The reports in almost every instance show that the children are doing extremely well, and many have met with no little success in later years.

At present there are twenty junior inhabitants, under the care of Miss TERRY (matron), whose ages range from five to sixteen years, and who during their occupancy will receive a practical domestic training.

The principal feature of the “pound” day is that it enables many, who while interested in the welfare of the young, are unable to render help by gifts of pounds of groceries and provisions. Generally, from this source alone, about 1,000 pounds of groceries are obtained. Each home is under the control of a local committee, and is conducted on a sound business basis.

Alleged Forgery and Falsification of Accounts

At the Ashton Borough Police Court on Thursday, before Messrs J Mc DERMOTT (in the chair) and W NEWTON, a serious charge of forgery and falsification of accounts was preferred against a youth Roland OGDEN, formerly in the employ of Mr John TAYLOR, solicitor, Old-street, Ashton, as clerk.

Mr John TAYLOR said he was a solicitor practicing in Old-street and was also clerk to the Limehurst District Council. The prisoner was formerly his clerk, and some considerable time ago he received instructions from clients to try and remove certain debts due to them. Proceedings were moved against some of the parties, and it was arranged that they should be allowed to pay the debts by installments. Certain installments were paid and received by him, and afterwards the installments ceased to come to his hands.

He wrote a letter to Mr Jas. WOOD, of Glossop, informing him that nothing had been paid in reduction of the account since July 23, 1900, and that the balance remaining due was £37, and that unless he received an installment on account within the present week steps would be taken for the recovery of the full amount due without further notice. A reply was received from Mr WOOD stating that there must be some mistake as the following installments had been sent:- February 10, 1901, £1; March 12, 1901, £1; June 2, 1901, £4; and February 3, 1902, £5.

On receipt of the letter witness went over to Glossop and asked Mr WOOD if he could produce any of the letter which he had received demanding payment of the money as witness could not find any copies in the letter-copying book, nor any trace of the letters. Mr WOOD produced a letter purporting to have been written by him (Mr TAYLOR) and signed Jno. TAYLOR. It was not his signature, nor did he authorize the letter to be written at all, and it was not copied in the book.

The letter ran as follows:- “Sir, I wrote in September last asking for an installment on account of the above. I received a reply saying that you could not remit then, but you would do so next month (October). I have now waited about three months longer, and am determined that I will not wait any more. My patience is exhausted now, and I have to state that unless I receive £8 by Tuesday morning next I shall at once commence further proceedings for the recovery of the whole amount – I am, sir, your obedient servant, Jno. TAYLOR.”

Mr TAYLOR described the proceedings as painful and asked for a remand until Monday. – The prisoner’s father made application for bail in the event of the remand being granted. – The Magistrates’ Clerk: The more serious charge has cropped up after some other charges against him about alterations in the books of the Limehurst District Council in respect of wages. – Prisoner’s father: I understand the gravity of the case. If there is any doubt I will forego any application for bail. If he has committed the offence he will have to pay the penalty.

Mr TAYLOR: I have found out several cases where he has been calling at houses and receiving monies and saying I sent him, and he has had no authority to do so, and he has put the money in his pocket. He may be going round again for anything I know. Most people may not know but that he is my clerk.

The Clerk: If the magistrates granted bail at all it would have to be substantial. – The father: I almost think I should be able to find sufficient security. – The Clerk said the case was bound to go to the Assizes for trial as it was a case of forgery. It was a question whether the magistrates considered there was a prima facie case or not. – The father: I think under the circumstances it would be as well to forego the application.

The Clerk: I think so. I have every sympathy with you in your trouble. – The father: The gravity of the matter keeps presenting new phases. He has been too close minded. Had I known more then might have been something done sooner. – The Clerk: The you withdraw the application? – The father: Under the circumstances I will. – The Clerk: The Bench sympathise with you in the trouble it must be to you. – The father, looking pale and haggard, then left the Court, and the prisoner as removed below.

A Newsvendor’s Remarkable Success

The well-known Stalybridge newsvendor, Morris CAIN, performed a really splendid walking feat on Wednesday evening. He entered the competition promoted by the genial landlord of the Volunteer Inn, and president of the local Licensed Victuallers and Beersellers’ Association (Mr Edgar KNIGHT), and won in most decisive fashion.

On the previous Saturday “Morrisey” took part in a similar event from the same house, and on that occasion came in first; but Wednesday night’s performance took precedence. The “walk” created the greatest enthusiasm, thousands of persons lining the route, which was by way of the Brushes Reservoirs, round Hollingworth Hall, and back via Mottram-road – a distance of about 8½ miles. Three medals were offered as prizes, and Mr William HALLAS, photographer, promised a life-size portrait of the winner to the competitor who got home first. Mr J T NORRIS officiated as starter and timekeeper, the duties of judge being discharged by Mr William KNIGHT, who followed the walkers on horseback.

Five competitors turned out, their names being Morris CAIN, A HUGHES, BIBBY, MILLS and MARSHALL. Each was attired in racing costume, and bore conspicuous numbers. They were despatched at 7.15pm, and amid the encouraging cheers of the onlookers they set a quick pace. Going along Huddersfield-road, they passed and re-passed each other; but ere the Waterworks were reached it was plainly evident that the race would resolve itself into a match between CAIN and HUGHES.

These two alternately took the lead, but long before Hollingworth Hall was sighted “Morrisey” forged ahead, and when the turn for home was made it was only a question as to what distance he would win by. Coming down Mottram-road he gained rapidly, and at one point his nearest rival would be quite 300 yards in the rear.

Continuing to walk with perfect ease and fairness, “Morrisey” eventually won the race in the remarkably good time of 1 hour 21 minutes 16 seconds. HUGHES who finished second was timed at 1 hour 23 minutes 45 seconds. The winner received a perfect ovation upon reaching the Volunteer Inn, and when presented with the first prize he asserted that, fit and well, he would capture the more valuable trophy offered by Mr Jno. LEES of the Eagle Hotel on Saturday afternoon. For this latter event a capital entry has already been received.

Arrangements are now completed for the walk from Stalybridge to Huddersfield next Tuesday, this competition being confined to shop assistants, warehousemen and clerks in Stalybridge, Ashton, Dukinfield, Hyde, Oldham and district. Alderman M FENTON, JP, will officiate as starter, and Mr G W ROBINSON will discharge the important function of judge. Mr Harry GARTSIDE, of Early Bank, has kindly promised to send his motor car, which will be utilised by the officials and the representatives of the Press.

A start will be made from Stalybridge Market Ground at 2pm, and the competitors will proceed by the following route:- Corporation-street, Melbourne-street, Thompson Cross, Stamford-street, Wakefield-road, Heyrod, to Mossley (turn to left of Mossley Station), Stamford-road, Stockport-road, Uppermill, Stanedge-road (left hand), pass Floating Light Inn, Marsden, Slaithwaite, and straight forward to finish, Commercial Hotel, New-street, Huddersfield.

Competitors will dress at the Public Baths (by kind permission of the Mayor), and will receive numbers, which must be securely fastened on chest and back. Their ordinary clothes will be forwarded to Huddersfield Baths to await competitors. Strictly heel and toe walk shall be observed, and departure from this will subject walkers to disqualification. The decision of the judge shall be final without appeal. Refreshment will be provided (gratis) to competitors on the route by Bovril Ltd.

List of Competitors

Stealing Money from a Hat Works and Hiding it in a Garden

At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, a postman was charged with larceny at Audenshaw. Mr Jos. HURST appeared to prosecute, and Mr A LEES was for the defendant.

Mr HURST stated that the complainant was Mr Samuel HIGGINBOTTOM, hat manufacturer, Denton-road, and the defendant was lately a postman in connection with the Hooley Hill Post Office. The complainant for some time past missed small sums of money from his works, and on May 27th two two-shilling pieces were marked and left under some paper on the desk in the warehouse.

Prisoner delivered letters to the works each morning. He came with the letters as usual, and complainant’s son who was in another room, heard him creeping stealthily on tip toe along the room in the direction of where the money was, and he saw him take one of the florins. When first charged the prisoner denied taking the money, but he subsequently admitted it.

Samuel HIGINBOTTOM, in consequence of missing certain money from the office, he instructed his son to mark two florins, and to place them under a piece of paper in the office. Within half an hour he heard one of the florins was missing, and witness and his son went to the top of Denton-road and met HAUGHTON. Witness said “Where is the money you’ve taken from the warehouse?” He replied, “I’ve taken none.” Witness then said, “If you don’t find it I’ll go to the police station.” He replied, “Don’t prosecute me for God’s sake; I’ll find it but come with me.”

Witness asked him where it was, and he said in Turner’s Garden. Witness and his son went with him to Turner’s Garden, and prisoner scraped some dirt up and gathered the 2s piece which he handed to witness, and the coin was identified by the mark. There was a hole made in the ear of the effigy on the coin. Prisoner admitted taking the coin and pressed them not to prosecute. He added, “We are nicely off; I don’t know what made me take it.”

Subsequently prisoner came to the office at the works, along with Mr HARRIS, a superintendent of the General Post Office, and Mr HARRIS told witness that prisoner has denied taking the florin. Thereupon prisoner and Mr HARRIS and witness and his son went to Turner’s Garden to show Mr HARRIS where prisoner had handed them the coin. When they got there prisoner again admitted taking the 2s piece, and that he was very sorry.

By Mr LEES: There were several deliveries of letters during the daytime, and money had been missed when the prisoner delivered letter. – Mr HARRIS deposed to HAUGHTON’s attitude at first, and hotly denied the charge. He said that he was a Sunday school teacher, and had borne a good character. On proceeding to the garden HAUGHTON said: I did it; I can’t tell you what I did it for. Prisoner had been dismissed from the service.

The Magistrates’ Clerk asked whether the defence intended to rebut the evidence with regard to making the admission, and, receiving a negative reply, said this would materially shorten the case. – On the advice of his solicitor prisoner pleaded guilty, and Mr LEES asked the Bench to give him the benefit of the First Offenders’ Act. – The magistrates bound prisoner over in the sum of £5 to be of good behaviour for six months, and to come up for judgment if called upon.

Three Cases in One Family

Happily, up to this week, Droylsden has not been troubled much with smallpox, but unfortunately there has to be recorded three cases which have occurred within the last few days. None of these cases are serious, the smallpox being only of a modified form, and one of the patients has practically recovered. Dr GODSON, of Manchester-road, traced the disease, in consequence of having been called to see a man residing in the Greenside-lane district.

His attention was drawn to the probability of smallpox by the appearance of the father, and on further investigation he discovered that not only the father, but the son and a daughter of the family had contracted the disease. It was apparent from the doctor’s observations of the son that he had been suffering from smallpox for about three weeks, and it is presumed he ha contracted this whilst returning home from America, where he had been travelling.

He had sufficiently recovered from the ailment as to allow him remaining at home, but the father and one of the daughters were removed to the Hyde Hospital by order of the Droylsden Medical Officer of Health. Re-vaccination and other precautions have been taken respecting the mother, son and daughter who are still at home.

A gentleman and his wife, who were offended at something a preacher said, gravely rose and stalked towards the door, with their heads held high in assertive disdain. The wife followed the husband. Unfortunately, when they were half way down the aisle, the husband dropped his glove, and stooped to pick it up. But the wife kept her head so high that she did not see her husband stoop. She went sailing on, and doubled over him in riotous confusion.

The congregation held its breath and kept its composure. The two recovered themselves, and went on. Hoping to escape quickly they turned to what looked like a side door. The husband pulled it open with an impressive swing. Before he could close it out tumbled the window pole, a long duster and a step-ladder. The congregation could hold its mirth no longer, and man and wife fled to the real exit in undignified haste, amid a general snigger.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.
Use OpenDNS