8 October 1904

. S L E I G H ' S


R.   S L E I G H   S E N R.
Between Old Square and Parish Church

L A T E  S L E I G H  B R O S.,
Stalybridge Cars Pass the Door.    Also at

Three doors from Theatre

HOURS OF BUSINESS, both at Ashton and Stalybridge
DAILY from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m

Artificial Teeth on Vulcanite 30s. per set, top or bottom
Best Teeth on Whalebone 40s. per set, top or bottom
Fillings from 2s. 6d., Crowns from 10s

Nitrous Oxide Gas 2s.

SLEIGH's Painless 1s. per Tooth. Half Returned when
having New Teeth

Some disappointment was experienced in Ashton a month or two ago when the projected visit to Ashton, in connection with his motor car tour, of General Booth, the esteemed head of the Salvation Army movement, had to be cancelled. On Monday morning, however, the Mayor (Alderman A. SHAW), who has interested himself greatly in the projected visit, was gratified to receive the following letter:

Salvation Army Oldham Division,
Divisional Headquarters,

92, Waterloo-street,
Oldham, Oct. 1, 1904

To His Worship the Mayor of Ashton.
Dear Sir, I am pleased to inform you that following on my interview with you on Tuesday last, at Ashton, it is now settled for General Booth to visit Ashton to conduct a special meeting in the Ashton Town Hall on Monday night, October 24th.

I take the present opportunity of thanking you for your very generous promise to allow the General the free use of the Town Hall, and also for so kindly consenting to take the chair on that occasion. I will let you have any further details in due course.

In the meantime I should be pleased in harmony with your kindly offer to assist all you can to make the visit an all-round success if you would kindly use your per-social influence in securing the attendance of a really representative platform and reception for the General.

I will forward further details in course of time. Again thanking you for all your kindness, I am, dear sir, yours faithfully,

John WATSON, Major

As the visit will be a unique one, it is the intention of the Mayor to invite all engaged in religious and social work in the town to be present, and to hold a reception in the Mayor’s Parlour.

At the Ashton Borough Police Court, on Monday, Mary Ann SAXON, a middle-aged person, summoned her husband, James SAXON, for deserting her. He pleaded not guilty.

Complainant opened the case by saying that her husband had gone with other women ever since they were married, 21 years ago. On the 12th of August this year he left her when they lived in Headfield-street. He had not given her anything towards her support since then. She had two children, one 20 and the other 12.

The Clerk: What made him go away? I don’t know. Defendant: She took two beds out of the house whilst I was seeking work. Complainant: I didn’t. The Clerk: Who took them then? My son-in-law. Are you living with him? No. Defendant: I never left her. She took the meat and things out of the house, and I was obliged to go somewhere. I had nothing to eat. How long is it since you worked? About seven weeks. She gave me £1 to leave her. She has £130 in the bank. I have neither home nor nowt now.

A document was produced to the Bench in which it was shown that Mrs SAXON agreed that her husband was to keep away from her. The Bench dismissed the case.

Emily LAWLER, Park-street, summoned her husband, John LAWLER, labourer, for desertion. Mr F. HAMER appeared for defendant, and pleaded not guilty.

Mrs LAWLER stated that they were married 27 years ago, and she had three children under 16 years of age. Her husband deserted her 12 months since, saying that he was going to live at the house of a niece. He stayed there about six weeks, and then went to live with another woman. He had only sent her 9s. 6d. since Ashton Wakes.

The Clerk: Do you say he is living with another woman now? Yes, and she is a very loose character. Mr HAMER: You say he left you twelve months ago on the 26th of this month? Yes. Why? Because he got entangled with another woman, and got tired of living with me, I suppose.

Did you never tell him you would not live with him any longer and he must go somewhere else? No, he had been cohabiting with this woman two years before he went away from my house. One night when he went home didn’t you refuse to let him in and hit him in the eye? No, I pushed him. He lived in the house six weeks afterwards.

Have you a son who is a youth? Yes, he is 27. Have there been any differences between your husband and that son? Yes, when he has been ill-using me with his nasty tongue. You live with your son and the rest of the family? Yes. Do you know that your son has told your husband he would give him a good thrashing? No, never in the world. Are you willing to go and live with your husband? No, he is living with another woman, and she has had a child by him.

The Clerk: If that is so there is no defence. Mr HAMER: That is contrary to my instructions. Do you know that he is not in regular employment? No. Emily LAWLER, daughter, corroborated her mother’s evidence. Mr HAMER: Isn’t it a fact that your mother told your father she did not want him any longer in the house? No, he said he would go.

Defendant stated that twelve months ago he went home shortly after eleven o’clock at night. His wife met him at the door, hit him in the face, told him to go, and if he came again they would “punce his guts in.” They said his place was in the workhouse, and they would drive him out of the country.

The Chairman: Is it true you are living with another woman now? I am lodging there. The Chairman: Don’t let us have any dodging? Yes, I am living there. The Chairman: You are not bound to live with another woman. Defendant: I am bound to live somewhere. An order to contribute 4s. per week maintenance was made.

The details of an extremely sad affair were brought to light at the Beaver Inn, Bentinck-street, on Monday morning, when Mr J.F. PRICE, county coroner, conducted an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of Fred Williamson TURNER, landlord of the house, who met his death by his own hands on Friday afternoon.

It appeared from the evidence of the wife, Sarah Jane TURNER, that the deceased, who was 45 last birthday, had been in very good health, but had unfortunately been drinking up to Thursday, when he seemed to have ceased somewhat. On Thursday night they went to bed about half-past eleven, he suffering from the effects of drink.

He had been quiet all day, but during the night was very restless. She gave him some soda and milk, and on Friday morning they rose about a quarter to seven when he seemed very ill. She gave him a seidlitz powder and some hot tea, and he returned to bed, where he remained until shortly after two, when he came down, and sat in the kitchen.

She went for a friend, and returning saw the kitchen empty. Looking further, she saw blood running under the washhouse door. She entered and saw him lying on his back in a pool of blood quite dead. There was a gash in his throat. He had never threatened to commit suicide, and she knew no reason why he should. He had no domestic or financial troubles at all.

Hannah MASON, of 27, Charles-street, said she had known deceased for 18 months. She had never noticed him drinking heavily at all. — The Coroner: Did you not state to the police that he had been drinking heavily? No, sir, I don’t think so. As witness left the room the Coroner observed that evidently she would not say anything.

Constable DIXON deposed to being called to deceased at 2.23 on Friday afternoon. He saw him lying in the washhouse on his back with a large wound in the throat from which he had lost a large quantity of blood. Dr MORRISON arrived and pronounced life extinct. The man had severed the windpipe and the large artery. A carving knife covered with blood lay on the slopstones. It appeared as if he had held his head over the slopstones.

A Juryman remarked that TURNER fretted somewhat about his daughter, who was very delicate. He had known him to be a very temperate man, and could not imagine him doing such a thing, and he had known him 26 years. Other jurymen testified to the same effect.

A verdict of “Suicide during temporary insanity, induced by excessive drinking,” was returned.

Ashton Contractor’s Action in the County Court

At the Ashton County Court, on Thursday, before his Honour Judge Reginald BROWN, K.C., the case of Frank MARLAND against James Arthur MATHER came up for consideration. Mr MARLAND claimed £17 paid on account to Mr MATHER for work done in tiling the floor of the Corporation Arms, Guidebridge.

It appeared that the work was condemned and plaintiff’s action was for money paid on account. The whole contract was for £25. His Honour gave judgment for plaintiff in the amount of £3 2s. 6d. Former judgment was given for £13 2s. 6d., but the latter judgment prevails.


A Man who Threw Missiles at the Police Station
At the Ashton Borough Court, on Thursday, a man of the labouring class, named John WOOD, was charged with throwing missiles in Katherine-street, on the 4th of October. He pleaded guilty.

Constable FEARNLEY said that about seven o’clock on the evening in question he was on duty in the police office., when he heard something rattle against the window. He went out and saw WOOD take up a handful of gravel and throw it at the windows. He told him to go away home, and he said he would if he would pay for a gift. He picked up another handful and threw it at the windows.

Sergeant HEIGHWAY said he asked the man why he did such a thing, and received the answer that he wanted a night’s lodging. Answering the Clerk, prisoner said he came from Sheffield for a week. The Chairman: Will you leave the town if we allow you to go? Prisoner: Yes, sir. Be off then.


Particulars of a very serious assault on a Hurst innkeeper’s son were related at the Ashton County Police Court, on Saturday, when John GODFREY was in custody charged with being drunk and disorderly at Hurst the previous night.

From the evidence of Constable MARSHALL it was gathered that at 10.25 the previous night the prisoner, along with another man, were being ejected from the Happy Shepherd public house, when the prisoner kicked the licensee’s son so severely that he was rendered unconscious.

He was carried into the house, and restoratives applied, and he regained consciousness in about 15 minutes. Dr HILTON was sent for, and on arrival said he was suffering from shock. Constable MARSHALL on leaving the house saw the prisoner running away, and he gave chase and secured him. The other man got away.

The prisoner pleaded guilty. He assumed a very penitent attitude, and said he was sorry for what he had done. A fine of 5s. was imposed.

Exemplary Penalty at Ashton

At the Ashton Borough Court, on Monday, a young man, named Charles SMITH, of Hooley Hill, was summoned for travelling on the Great Central Railway without having paid his fare, and with intent to avoid payment thereof on 5th August. He pleaded guilty.

Inspector COTTRILL said the case arose out of the abuse of the zone ticket system between Guidebridge and Manchester. On August 5th the defendant arrived at Guidebridge by the seven minutes past eight o’clock train at night. He tendered a zone ticket to the collector issued to a female. The collector asked where he had got it from. He said, “It’s my ticket.” The collector told him it was a lady’s ticket, and had not been issued to him. He swore it was his ticket, and eventually gave his name and address, which proved to be correct.

They had found that the ticket had been issued to the defendant’s sister, and that he never had a ticket. The company had great difficulty in stopping this kind of thing, and he asked for an exemplary penalty.

Defendant: I did not know I was doing wrong. I thought it was a transferable ticket. The Clerk: If you thought that why did you tell the ticket collector that it was your ticket? I did not know what I was doing; when he pulled me up I was muddled. The Clerk: The railway company should not be defrauded in this way. We have had other cases here last week and the offenders have been fined 20s. and costs.

The Chairman (Mr W. HAMER): You will be fined 40s. and costs or one month. I may say this is a very gross case of fraud. The zone system is a great convenience and advantage to the public, and the railway company have adopted it to enable people to travel cheaply, and abuses of this character are really calculated to injure the community because it may prevent the railway company to do what they are disposed to do.

Inspector COTTRILL asked for the expenses of two witnesses, and they were granted. The total fine and costs amounted to £2 15s. 6d.

Action in the Ashton County Court

In the Ashton County Court, on Thursday, before His Honour Judge Reginald BROWN, K.C., a case arose in which Mr E.A. CLARKE, of Dukinfield, sued Mr John THORPE, also of Dukinfield, for a month’s rent in lieu of notice. Mr WILLIAMSON, solicitor, of Ashton, appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr GARFORTH, of Dukinfield, defended.

It appeared from the defendant’s evidence that he took a house in Astley-street, the chimney of which was notoriously smoky owing to the close proximity of the Cooperative Hall. He took it on the express condition, he said, that he would remain if the defect was remedied, and leave if it wasn’t. “No cure, no pay.”

Evidence was given by defendant’s daughter that the defective chimney was not remedied and that many times the tablecloth would be covered with soot, and other inconveniences would arise. The plaintiff alleged that an agreement for a month’s notice was arrived at, and denied that it was “No cure, no pay.”

His Honour ultimately found for plaintiff 6s. 8d., a week’s rent which defendant had paid into court.


Mary Ann WINSTANLEY, a married woman, of 2, Syke-street, Dukinfield, was summoned for being drunk and disorderly in that street on Saturday night.

Constable MOORE stated that at 8 p.m. on Saturday he received information of a quarrel at a house in Syke-street, and on going there he found the defendant and a man quarrelling. The man on being spoken to promised to behave himself, but the woman refused and became more stupid. She kept abusing the man. She was in a very drunken state, and eventually he locked her up. Detective Sergeant KELLY gave corroborative evidence.

The defendant said her husband was abusing her. On the Friday night he came home and gave her 13s. for his wages. He was beastly drunk. He said he wanted a pint of beer, and because she had not the money to give him he upset the table, and picked up the burning lamp off the table to throw at them.

Defendant called a woman named Alice WILLIAMSON, of 9, Syke-street, to give evidence on her behalf, but Mrs WILLIAMSON said she didn’t know anything about it. Mrs WINSTANLEY was fined in July for being drunk and disorderly, and the magistrates now fined her 5s. for costs.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.
Use OpenDNS