Market Street, Mottram, about 1890. The white building on the right with the lamp outside was the Dog and Partridge beerhouse, which was demolished in 1895 when 65 75 Market Street were built. For many years it was kept by the SHAW family who combined beer selling with shoemaking.
In 1881, John
Jackson SANDIFORD was the landlord, husband
of Mary RHODES,
but in 1891, it was Samuel
HOLT who was mine host, husband of Elizabeth
BRADDOCK. By 1901, he was a shoemaker, so there
may be a connection with the SHAW family.
From Longdendale in Retrospect by Joyce Powell,
first published 1977, second edition 1984
Original photograph from Tameside
Local Studies Library