15 December 1900


Patrick Joseph McKENNA was in the dock charged with burglary at 88 Turner-lane, the house of John MARLAND who stated "that on the night in question, he retired to bed at eleven o’clock. He did not lock the door in consequence of someone being out.

"Early next morning, he was awakened by a noise, as if someone was in the house. He went downstairs and found the back door open and the front door locked. The house was upset and amongst a number of things missing were a coat and vest, pair of socks, a quantity of a packet of tea, silk tie, pair of cuffs, handkerchief and a parcel of mixed articles.

"Detective Sergeant TULSON stated that at 12 o’clock noon on November 24th, he was in Wellington-road when he saw the prisoner whom he noticed wearing a coat with two burn holes in the sleeve like the one from the house broken into.

"Prisoner denied being in Wellington-road. He said he came from Manchester on the Friday night, and on Saturday morning, he helped his sister in Bentinck-street to clean and then took lodgings in Stalybridge"

The Bench did not think there was sufficient evidence and dismissed the case.

Farm labourer, Samuel Fairden COOP of Greenacres-road was before Oldham Police Court, charged with ‘going through the form of marriage with Phoebe BRUNT when his wife was alive.

"Alice Ann ASHTON, wife of James ASHTON, said the prisoner was her half-brother and she was present at Christ Church, Ashton-under-Lyne on 11th November 1895 when he was married to Ellen WARD, who was now in court.

"Phoebe BRUNT, speed tenter of 76 Bleasby-street, stated that on September 12th she met the prisoner who went by the name of Samuel CALVERT in the Rose and Crown public house, Lees-road. He told her he was a single man and on October 30th last, they went through the form of marriage at the Registry Office, Church-lane, Oldham. They afterwards lived together at 5 Court, Greenacres-road and on learning that he had been previously married, she took out a warrant for his arrest."

The case was referred to Manchester Assizes. A further charge of desertion from the army was not proceeded with.

Richard Lee MANCHESTER was charged with embezzling 29 7s 6d from the South East Lancashire Card and Blowing Room Operatives Association.

"The prisoner had for some six years been secretary and president of No 2 district of the association and in that capacity, it was his duty to receive weekly from collectors various sums of money. After paying out whatever was received for trade disputes etc, he had to account on a card every week for the amount of money in his possession."

It was against the rules to have more than a certain amount of money in hand and the General Secretary, a Mr CARR, noticed that the amount held by the accused was gradually increasing, He had called it in and it came to light that Mr MANCHESTER had kept the money. This was a surprise to Mr CARR who he ‘regarded as a most trustworthy man.’ It seemed he had ‘a lot of sickness and trouble at home.’ He was bound over on his own recognisance of 25 pounds for three months when judgement would be made.

"A sad accident occurred in the weaving shed at Slack Mills on Wednesday. A young woman named Mary WHITEHEAD, about 20 years of age who resides in Joel-lane, Gee Cross, was following her employment as a weaver, when a shuttle flew out of an adjacent loom and caught her full in the eye.

"Dr Bennett was at once sent for and after attending to the injury ordered the unfortunate young lady to be conveyed at once to the Manchester Infirmary. This was at once done and on examination, it was found that the accident will result in the loss of the eye. Much sympathy is expressed with Miss WHITEHEAD in her affliction."

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.