25 August 1900
"About six o'clock on Monday evening, a woman was seen to fall from the carriage of a London and North Western Railway Company's train travelling from Ashton-under-Lyne to Manchester, just before it passed through Clayton Bridge Station." She suffered serious injuries to her face and head and was taken to the Manchester Royal Infirmary. She regained consciousness the following day, although she had no recollection of the train journey or how she came to fall. She was Alice TAYLOR and had been visiting her mother in Ashton. She was 36 and lived in Rhyl, although she was formerly a servant at the wine bar on Stamford Street. He maiden name was HYNES and she had married George TAYLOR whose mother had kept the Shepherd's Inn on Old Street
until 1870.

Harold MELLOR of Waterhouses Locks, Ashton won a shilling for his story of domestic pets in a Reporter competition. "I was surprised one morning on coming home from school to see my cat Trig going towards the kennel of my dog Laddie. I watched breathlessly (for Laddie is very fierce) and as Trig approached nearer and nearer, I expected him to pounce out upon her and shake her to death. But to my huge surprise, he came slowly out and began to lick and caress her. About a week later, I saw a very different scene. Trig was standing with her back up to the full height while Laddie was at his chain's length trying to get hold of her. I went to watch again and there stood Laddie licking the blood from the wounds he had inflicted on Trig. The two may now be seen every day taking a nap in the sunshine, embraced in each others paws." I think Harold was taking detached observation a tad too far!
Israel BARNETT was arrested in Stalybridge charged with hawking cigars and cigarettes. The magistrate said that person was allowed to hawk or offer for sale any tobacco or snuff in the streets or highways and that such goods could only be sold on licensed properties. BARNETT was given the choice of a 5 fine or one month's imprisonment.

"Mr Nathan CLAYTON of Millbrook who is too infirm to work any longer in the mill has been granted the superannuation allowance by the Mossley Operative Spinners Association. Mr CLAYTON has been a member of the association for upwards of 30 years."

And finally, a health note. "For the first time since the passing of the Vaccination Act 1898, a full year's figures are on hand to base an estimate of its results." In 1899, 669,349 children had been vaccinated, an increase of 169,035 on the previous year. But vaccinated against what?
28 August 1875
"If John Bull works hard, he also keeps in mind the wise adage that 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy'." began the Reporter's account of the origins of Wakes Week. The traditional holiday began under the patronage of the church, but became entirely secular. "A festival day on which the church of any parish was dedicated was specially enjoined in a law of Edward the Confessor and from this festival originated the Wakes of modern times. The name Wakes appears to have derived either from the verb 'walken', to consecrate, or as seems more probable, from the Saxon word for a vigil by which the festival was preceded."

Pope Gregory the Great told his Abbot in Britain to encourage festivals to keep people from 'idol feasts'. "But when the church seeks to lead people in their play as well as their devotions, she generally finds she has a stubborn subject to deal with," observed the Reporter. Of the attractions of 1875, "it is certainly worth any one's time to examine the model of Lissola Cathedral built up with considerable accuracy with 1,800,000 old corks, all cut and carved and turned with astonishing delicacy. By dropping a copper through a slit in the cathedral, a peal of bells is set ringing and the bell ringers inside are to be seen pulling the ropes.

But if the Wakes was a time for fun, it was also one of tragic crime. "A young man attempted to take his own life by cutting his throat on Wednesday night." Samuel WOODS was aged 26 and worked at Matley Springs Brewery where
he lived with his married brother. He had been to Mottram Wakes and on his way home, he met a 14 year old girl from Woolley Bridge who had lost her way. "It seems that WOODS took her into a field and outraged her." The girl told Inspector COOPER who suspected WOODS from her description and went to find him, but the suspect saw the policeman approaching. "No doubt he knew his errand for he went upstairs where he got into bed and cut his throat with an old knife, such as is used by carters for greasing their cartwheels. He inflicted a fearful gash from ear to ear." Dr POMFRET of Hollingworth dressed the wound and though it was touch and go, WOODS survived and remained in bed under police guard.

And Wakes Week was a time for merry-making, some making merrier than others. Among the 'anti-water drinkers' before the magistrates were James WOLSTENCROFT, Ann KELGAN, Patrick COLEMAN, Elizabeth JONES, Mary Ann WALSH, Rosanna BESWICK, Mary GILLIGAN, William LINGARD, James TIERNEY, William BUCKLEY, Edward ROBERTS, Joseph FLANNAGAN and sisters Mary HEYWOOD and Ruth TAYLOR.

Also before the bench was Mary BOOTH. "An old woman apparently between 70 and 80 years of age was charged with having been drunk in Hadfield Street on Saturday. Constable WADSWORTH said he saw the defendant drunk

and lay down in the street. On being asked what she had to say for herself, she replied with a broad Irish accent 'Nothing, but I hope you will be as partial as possible with me, is respect to the poor orphan that I am'." Mary pleaded guilty, but as she had lived in Stalybridge for 47 years without being in trouble, she was let off with a caution.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.