1 June 1901

A middle-aged man named Samuel BLOOMER was in custody at Ashton Borough Police Court, on Thursday, charged with attempting to obtain money by falsely representing himself to be a coal miner at the New Moss Colliery on May 29th.

The Chief Constable stated that the prisoner was only arrested the previous night, and there had not been much time to get up the evidence, and Constable WILD had had some little difficulty in the matter. If the magistrates would grant a remand, it would give him much more time to make further enquiries, and probably obtain further evidence. Prisoner had no authority whatever to go round begging with a book. The manager of the colliery had been seen on this subject.

The Magistrates’ Clerk: There has been a letter in the newspaper, written by the secretary.

The Chief Constable: The secretary has complained here about it.

The Magistrates’ Clerk (reading from the collecting book handed to him): By permission of the manager, signed by Mr WORDSWORTH. Mr WORDSWORTH does not sign himself "Mr WORDSWORTH."

Constable WILD said he went to Mrs LOMAS, whose name was down in the book as giving 5s, and she said she had given nothing.

Magistrates’ Clerk: I expect this Mrs LOMAS is a catch penny to induce others to follow suit. A sprat to catch a mackerel. It is the same writing as that on the front page.

The case was remanded to Monday.

Twenty-six Years Service

A pleasing little ceremony took place in the drill yard of the Hurst Police Station on Wednesday afternoon. This was the presentation of a couple of bronze equestrian statues and a silver-mounted black-ebony walking stick to ex-Constable HUNTER, who has retired from the Lancashire County Constabulary after 26 years’ service, 21 years of which has been spent in the Waterloo district.

Constable HUNTER first commenced police duties at the Brook, Liverpool. After a time, he was transferred to Haslingden Police Force, and from there he went to Lower Darwen, and subsequently to Waterloo, where he has been located ever since. During the 21 years he has been at Waterloo, he has won the respect and esteem of police and civilians as well, and about six years ago he obtained the merit badge.

Ex-Constable HUNTER tendered his acknowledgements with much warmth of feeling and referred to the many changes which had taken place since he first came to the district. There had, he said, been some ups and downs, but he had not thought he was so deserving of their kindness. Those ornaments would often remind him when seated in a warm corner of his colleagues who were braving the elements without, as he himself had done for so long a time. He was much obliged to them for their goodwill, and should always think of the Ashton-under-Lyne division. — (Applause.)

Sergeant HAIMER added his testimony. He was constable at Bardsley, he said, when Constable HUNTER joined him in 1880, and they had been the best of friends for many years. He was always one of the first to step forward to help a comrade, and that had been a distinguishing feature in him up to the present time.

Visitors in the vicinity of Stamford Park on Tuesday night were attracted at about 8.30 to a large crowd congregated near the clay pit on the Stalybridge side, but not within the precincts of the Park. The crowd turned out to be watching with evident glee and interest a fight between two men. Each of the combatants had his batch of supporters, who exercised their lungs freely in urging their favourite to give the "knock-out" blow. For some minutes the men fought like demons — fists and feet were used — and the disgraceful scene only culminated when one of the fellows, evidently realising the superiority of his rival, threw up the sponge. Enquiry led to the information that the pugilists were employees at the same mill, and that the fight had been brewing for some weeks.

Last Sunday a cut bloom show was held at the Crescent Inn, Broadbottom. A good number of florists and gardeners were present. Twelve entries were made, with the following result: — 1st J BEELEY, 2nd A BEELEY, 3rd J CHESTERS.

CRICKET — Last Saturday league matches took place between Mottram and Hurst, and Hill End and Dinting. Mottram first team at Hurst sustained defeat in an easy fashion, the home team compiling 206 runs against 95 runs by the Mottram team. The chief scorers for the home team were W E FIRTH 65, W C FIRTH 51, and G HILL 32, whilst for the visitors, the principal scorers were G BRODERICK 22, Randle SIDEBOTTOM 14, P K MARSLAND 13, and Ralph SIDEBOTTOM 13.

The Hill End first tea, journeyed to Dinting where they experienced a little "leather hunting," the home team making 175 runs for the loss of only five batsmen. Hill End responded with 41 all out. The second teams met at Broadbottom and an interesting game resulted in Dinting winning by 12 runs, the respective totals being Dinting 44, Hill End 32.

PRETTY WEDDING AT MOTTRAM CHURCH — On Monday afternoon (Whit Monday) an attractive wedding was solemnised at Mottram Church, the contracting parties being Miss Muriel NEWMAN, second daughter of Mr and Mrs C NEWMAN, of Broadbottom-road, and Mr Reginald SHAW, of Ashton-under-Lyne. The wedding party was conveyed to and from the church in a carriage and a pair of greys supplied by Messrs RHODES and Son (my gg-grandad's brother and nephew — Ed)

The bride, who looked exceedingly pretty was neatly attired in a dress composed of ivory lustre with corded silk trimmings and hat to match, and was attended by Miss L BOYER, who wore a dress composed of white material trimmed with gold, and Miss E NEWMAN dressed in white, both with hats to match, and there were also present Misses N YATES and Miss E R SHAW, nieces of the bridegroom and the two Miss HAIGEs, cousins of the bridegroom. Mr T R SHAW, brother of the bridegroom, officiated as the best man, and Mr R NEWMAN acted as groomsman, and also gave the bride away.

After the marriage rites had been duly performed by the Rev Canon MILLER, the party returning to the home of the bride, where a first class tea had been prepared, and the event was celebrated with much mirth. A numerous collection of presents have been received by the happy couple, including two cheques.

DEATH OF MISS EMMA GODDARD — We regret to record the death of Miss Emma GODDARD (my second cousin three times removed — Ed) of Broadbottom-road, Mottram, which took place on Saturday at the age of 22 years. Deceased was closely connected with Mottram Church Sunday School, of which place she had been a scholar the whole of her life, and the sympathy of the whole village goes out to Mrs GODDARD in her painful bereavement. Her remains were interred at Mottram Cemetery on Tuesday afternoon, the funeral being numerously attended.

BROADBOTTOM HOMING SOCIETY — On Saturday the above society held a fly from Bournemouth. There were 86 birds liberated, and the first three arrived in the following order:— 1st E BENTLEY, 2nd W DRIVER, 3rd A HOWATRH. The first and second kept very close, and only a period of about one minute divided them.

DEATH — We regret to chronicle the death of Mrs Janet SMITH, of Mill-street, Broadbottom, which took place at her home on Friday last at the ripe old age of 71 years. Deceased was well known and had resided at Broadbottom a good number of years. The funeral took place at Mottram Cemetery on Monday afternoon and was numerously attended.

MOTTRAM CHURCH — On Sunday last, the above place of worship was opened temporarily for the first time since its closing some few weeks back. Considerable progress has been made with the restoration of the interior, the old pews having been taken out, the floor concreted, and wood blocks put in. The new seats in the inner portion have not yet been put in, and on Sunday last a goodly number of chairs were brought into use. It is expected the entire renovation of the interior will be completed by June 22nd, when the Lord Bishop of Chester will undertake the opening ceremony.

BREAKDOWN — On Friday at noon the beams of one of the engines at Waterside Mills suddenly collapsed, but fortunately no one was injured. The engine, which drives the spinning, cardroom, and two shafts of looms, it is expected will take over a week to repair, and every effort is being made to commence work again on Monday next.

OBITUARY — It is with regret we announce the death of Mr Job FLINT, of Woolley Bridge-road, Hadfield, which occurred on Saturday night at the age of 34. Deceased, who for a long period had been suffering from a lingering illness, was highly respected and well-known in Hadfield, and up to a few months ago filled the office of Conservative agent for Hadfield. He leaves a wife and two children. The funeral took place at Glossop Cemetery on Wednesday afternoon, and was largely attended.

An outbreak of swine fever has occurred amongst some animals in a piggery off Atkin-street. The sanitary superintendent, Mr J SUMMERFIELD, at once notified the fact to the Board of Agriculture. This department sent down instructions for the slaughter of the pigs. Two had died of the disease, and ten have since been destroyed by the authorities.

The monthly meeting of the Town Council was held on Monday. All members were present, except four. The passing of the minutes evoked little or no discussion, but considerable time was occupied in discussing a resolution introduced by Councillor GRIME protesting against the cartoonage of members of the Council by a Manchester weekly newspaper. Alderman KERFOOT objected to the introduction of such a matter, and argued that it simply concerned the two members cartooned, namely, Councillors GRIME and CLARKE. The Mayor, however, allowed the mover to go on with his speech, and immediately afterwards the alderman left the Council Chamber, after being bluntly told he need not stop by Councillor ASHWORTH.

Councillor GRIME characterised the action of the newspaper as "dastardly, mean, and contemptible," and expressed his surprise that anyone should defend "such a damnable piece of work," and he looked upon the man who drew the cartoon as "a mean, contemptible cur." It was, in his opinion, calculated to make men keep aloof from taking part in municipal affairs if they are to be subjected to ridicule and held up to public odium.

Councillor CLARKE characterised the cartoon as malignant, and said it was wrong for newspapers to take up the speech of a member of the Council, which was slightly maligned in the first instance, and then to cartoon the members referred to in the speech in an intensely insulting manner.

Alderman BANCROFT thought the two gentlemen concerned were taking the matter up too seriously, and seeing that an action at law was pending he did not think the Council ought to interfere. At the same time, he disapproved altogether of cartooning. Councillor WOOD, who seconded the motion, said the printing of the cartoon was a very improper thing to do. At the close of the discussion a resolution was drafted by Councillor BARDSLEY was passed "protesting against the practice of holding up to ridicule public men, by cartoon or otherwise, believing such ridicule will tend against the public interest.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.