8 June 1901

Heavy Fine — Veterinary Surgeons Disagree

At the Ashton Borough Police Court on Monday, George GREEN, John SMITH, and Charles JOHNSON, carters, were charged with cruelly working horse whilst in an unfit state on 18th May. Defendants did not appear. James DAY, the owner of the horses was summoned for a similar offence by causing the same to be worked whilst they were in an unfit condition.

Inspector POCOCK then opened the case, the facts of which, he said, were somewhat peculiar. The defendant DAY was the owner of a menagerie travelling from town to town with five caravans drawn by the four horses, the subject of this charge, and two ponies. The caravans contained lions and other animals, and it was necessary to have horse flesh with which to feed the lions. He did not see He did not see the horses actually dragging the vans, but they were seen after the menagerie arrived on the Ashton Market Ground, and the Bench would have evidence as to their condition. These poor animals had been made to travel about from pillar to post, and they did 23 miles the day before he saw them. It was one of the worst cases that had come under his observation during the time he had been with the society. (RSPCA)

Harry James ASPINALL, 40, Hillgate-street, Hurst, assistant market superintendent, said that on the 13th April he saw DAY’s menagerie come upon the market ground He saw the horses in question and speaking generally they were in poor condition. He understood they came from Openshaw.

Inspector POCOCK said that at 1.15pm on Saturday, he was on the Ashton Market Ground when he saw the defendant SMITH riding a roaned horse and leading a grey and a bay. He had a dealer’s whip in his hand, and was incessantly flogging first one and then the other. Immediately in front of them was a brown horse, and smith was flogging it and urging it along. Witness stopped the horses and observed to SMITH "These horses are in a fearful state." He replied "Yes, sir, they are." Witness examined them very carefully. The roan mare he found to be in a fair condition, but lame on the near hind leg, due to ringbone of considerable standing.

DAY and his wife came up, and the former said, "I hope you won’t make a bother about this. I have been in trouble, and if you will say nothing about it, I will have them all destroyed. We have to get these poor horses to feed the animals. He pointed out to the defendant that he was working the horses, and showed him marks of harness on them. He then said, "Yes, we came from Openshaw this morning." Witness told him that anyone could see that the horses were totally unfit to work, and he replied "You say the word and I will have them destroyed in the street." Witness never saw worse horses in his life.

The same afternoon, Mr HALL, veterinary surgeon, was called in, and he saw the animals in a stable behind the Ashton Hotel. He examined them in the presence of DAY and the defendants GREEN, SMITH and JOHNSON. GREEN said he drove the grey from Manchester, and the day before from Lymm, 23 miles, but would not drive it again. JOHNSON said he drove the bay gelding. He also said the grey and the bay had been bought for killing.

Mr Peter GILLESPIE, MRCVS, practising at Salford and Strangeways, said he examined the four horses on the 21st April, an on that date they were, in his opinion, fit for work. The bay cart horse was 20 years old, but fit for slow work. The grey cart horse, 14 or 15 years old, was in fairly good condition, and there would not be any cruelty in working it.— Inspector POCOCK: Was there any enlargement of the pastern? No.— You swear that? Yes. I saw no abnormal enlargement.— I did not ask you that. You have heard Dr HALL say there is? Yes.— And you say he is wrong? I hold that he is mistaken.— You are positive there was no ringbone? Yes.— Do you mean to stake your professional reputation upon the statement?

After a short consultation between the magistrates and the clerk, Mr HAMER said they were satisfied that a case had been made out. The Chairman told DAY that he would be fined 3 and costs, or one month’s imprisonment. George GREEN, John SMITH, and Charles JOHNSON 10s and costs, or one month.

Women of every age and of every trade and profession have been asking the United British Women’s Emigration Association to send them out to South Africa. The rush of applicants has been greatest since Mr Chamberlain, at the Imperial Institute, spoke of the need for women to emigrate to South Africa when the country was blessed with peace. But much of this rush is attributed to the fact that the Chartered Company wants to attract female colonists, and it has recently emphasised this fact by offering an increase of pay to those of its employees who become benedicts.

Ready promotion is offered to officials who forthwith enter into the state of matrimony. Dressmakers, housekeepers, cooks, music teachers, type-writers, shorthand writers, governesses, secretaries, lady helps, nurses, clerks by the score, a bookbinder, a boys’ matron, a boarding-house keeper, and last, but certainly not least, "two lady barbers" — all have applied for particulars as to how and when they can leave their homes and settle in South Africa. The Women’s Emigration Association has a system of granting loans to women emigrants, but an extensive scheme would require far more females than the association possesses.

Emma SWANN was fined 5s 6d, costs, for using bad language in Henry Square on the 19th ult.

NO LIGHTS — John RIGBY was fined 1s and costs for using a vehicle without having any lights attached, and Cuthbert P GLAZEBROOK was fined 2s 6d and costs for using a bicycle after dark without lights.

OBTAINING MONEY BY FALSE PRETENCES — Samuel BLOOMER was in the dock charged on remand with attempting to obtain money by false pretences.— The Chief Constable said he was not yet prepared to go on with the case. The manager of the colliery (Moss) was away from home and he asked for a further remand until next Monday.— Granted.

BREAKING A BOTTLE IN THE STREET — William Henry BOND was summoned for breaking a bottle in St Michael's Square. He did not appear:— Constable HAWCOURT stated that at ten past ten o'clock at night, he saw defendant deliberately smash a bottle in the square.— The Clerk said people were not permitted to break bottles in public thoroughfares. It was a dangerous practice.— Fined 5s 6d and costs.

BEGGING — John KING was charged with begging in Hilton-street, Crowthorn, on the 1st inst. He said he was only singing in the street.— An officer said defendant was singing and another man was going from door to door. On seeing witness they ran away at full speed. Defendant had 30 pennies and 25 halfpennies upon him.— Defendant told a story about being unable to get work. He was making his way to Rochdale, where he had relatives.— Discharged on promising to leave the town.

ALLEGED UNLAWFUL WOUNDING — Joseph ALLCOCK was charged with unlawfully wounding Joseph HARROP on 22nd May. Dr HAMILTON junr. was called and said the man HARROP was under his care. He was not in a fit condition to appear, and would not be for another week.— The Chief Constable said upon that evidence he asked for a remand. The defendant had not been out on bail.— The Bench agreed to grant the same bail, defendant in 20, and one surety of 20, the latter was provided by Mr Ralph BOOTH, New Junction Inn, Victoria-street.

BENJAMIN'S MESS — Benjamin KING was in the dock charged with being drunk and disorderly in Lower Wharf-street on the 30th ult. He was also charged with assaulting Constable WILSON whilst in the execution of his duty.— Defendant said he did not remember anything. He had some port wine and someone must have put something in it.— Constable FURNESS stated that at 2pm, he saw the defendant drunk and creating a disturbance. He requested him to go away, but he refused. He the took him into custody. He became very violent. Constable WILSON came to his assistance, and whilst on the floor defendant kicked WILSIN in the head several times.— Constable WILSON gave corroborative evidence.— The Chief Constable said defendant had been up 27 times.— Fined 5s 6d and costs for being drunk and disorderly, and for the assault 20s and costs, or one month.

DRUNK AND DISORDERLY — Julia CONNELLY, who had been up six times, was fined 5s 6d, and costs for being drunk and disorderly in Wellington-street on the 20th.— Andrew Edward ANDREW, drunk in Bedford-street, on the 27th, was fined 5s 6d for costs. — Elizabeth CASSIDY made her first appearance for drunkenness in Blandford-street, and was discharged with a caution.

John NAREY, who had been up 20 times, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Stamford-street on 1st June. — Defendant said he had been in hospital suffering from two incurable diseases. The Clerk: One is drunkenness I suppose.— Defendant said he had no money, and the drink was given him.— Mr HAMER: Is there more virtue in it when it is given?— Defendant: No, but there are people who would sooner give drink than money.— The Clerk: You can refuse it.— On promising to go to the workhouse, he was discharged.

James Samuel SIMCOCK, deaf and dumb mute, was before the magistrates charged with being drunk and disorderly in Brook-street on June 3rd. Constable MILLINGTON stated the case.— Fined 5s 6d and costs, or seven days.

SHAKING GOULD — Elizabeth BAILEY was brought up on remand charged with committing an assault on Ann GOULD on May 22nd.— Evidence was given by Mrs BENTLEY to the effect that BAILEY was shaking GOULD, and had hold of her by the shoulders.— Defendant said the complainant called her a "little black cow."— The Chairman said it was the opinion of the Bench that there was six of one and half a dozen of the other.— Dismissed.

STEALING A SKIRT — Sarah JONES, an elderly woman, was in custody charged with stealing a skirt, the property of John Thomas ASHWORTH, Cavendish-street, Ashton, on the 4th inst.— Matthew BAGULEY, assistant to Mr ASHWORTH, spoke to missing the skirt from the shop, and Constable WALMSLEY deposed to searching the prisoner, and finding the missing skirt in her possession.— Prisoner said that she was sorry.— There was one previous conviction recorded against her, and she was fined 10s, or seven days imprisonment.

Your correspondent "Amelia" flies too high altogether in her estimate of wisdom. In my estimation, a woman's home, her husband, and her children should be her pride and care. The comfort of the home and the wants of her husband and little ones should be her study. Not only should she meet their requirements when in health, but also when "out of sorts." To so this successfully requires some knowledge of homely and effective medicines. Yet how little real knowledge many women possess on such subjects may be gauged by the amount of money spent on worthless and expensive medicines.

Fortunately, one is glad to note the rapidly increasing use of a remedy like Charles FORDE's Bile Beans for Biliousness in this connection. The wisdom of housewives who always keep a box of this wonderful vegetable preparation on their shelves is to be commended. Attacks of "the blues" brought on by indigestion, headache, sleeplessness or some other ailment, are fruitful sources of family unhappiness, and the woman who by judicious use of the natural vegetable remedy brings an end to those ailments occurring, either in herself, husband, or children, to my mind show more wisdom.

."Amelia" may talk about the "bad temper and boorishness" of modern men as she chooses, but she should not forget that health often governs temper. A little money spent on Bile Beans is a preventative of, or cure for indigestion — and incidentally, bad temper — would show more practical wisdom than much philosophising. — Yours, CONSTANT READER

Death at Ashton Infirmary

Information was received at the Ashton Police Station on Friday afternoon of the death of Hiram ROBINSON, aged 40 years, of 69 Mottram-road, Hyde, which took place at the District Infirmary at 8.15am the same day, as the result of injuries received on May 27th. Deceased was a labourer at Messrs ASHTON’s Newton Bank Printworks, and on that day about six am, he and three others were in the soap dye engine-house.

One of the men was putting a strap on a pulley, and deceased and the other workmen were turning the wheel with an iron bar which had a leverage from the wall close by. Whilst the men had hold of the bar the engine started, and the wheel commenced to revolve. The bar struck deceased on the forehead and knock him on to the engine, from which he fell on to the floor. He was picked up unconscious and taken into the mill lodge, and was subsequently removed to the Infirmary, where he died as aforementioned.

The body was formally identified by John BENSON, brother-in-law of the deceased, who said the deceased lived with him at 69 Mottram-road, Hyde. — Deceased left home to get to his work at six o’clock on Monday morning, and was brought home about 6.30 the same morning in a cab suffering from injuries to his head, back and leg. Dr SMITH was sent for and ordered his removal to the Infirmary. Witness had a little conversation with the deceased, who said he was barring the fly-wheel, and that someone had put steam on, and the bar flew out and caught him on the forehead and knocked him on to the engine. Deceased did not blame anyone for what happened.

Benjamin GODDARD, labourer, of 68 Mottram-street, Mottram, said he was working along with the deceased when the accident happened. He and deceased and two others were barring the driving-wheel round to put a pulley strap on. The wheel had stopped in such a position that it had to be barred before it would go. A piece of iron piping about four or five feet long was used for barring purposes. Deceased put it under one of the arms of the fly-wheel to lift it over. Witness and a man named Levi BOOTH also had hold of the bar, ROBINSON being nearest the wheel. They moved the wheel round, and suddenly it commenced to revolve. Witness and BOOTH ran out of the way of the bar, but ROBINSON appeared as if glued to the bar, which lifted him up and carried him round and threw him over on to the engine. He dropped full length on his stomach on the engine, and was then carried down by the fly-wheel into the "race" and again thrown out on to the floor.

At County Police Court on Wednesday, Elizabeth NEARY and Catherine YOUNG were summoned for committing a breach of the peace at Hurst, on the 11th May.— An officer stated that he found the defendants standing at their respective doors shouting and swearing and causing a disturbance.— Bound over to keep the peace for three months in their own recognisance of 40s each.

PLAYING "BANKER" — On Wednesday, at the Ashton County Police Court, seven youths named John STONES, William HARRISON, John THORP, William COFFEY, William CROPPER, Henry DAWSON and James MARLAND were summoned for gaming on Sunday afternoon, the 19th inst.— Constable 875 said he saw all the defendants playing banker on a public footpath leading from Broadoak-road to Smallshaw-lane. He watched them for ten minutes.— Fined 5s each.

DRUNK ON LICENSED PREMISES — An old man from the Emerald Isle named Thomas BURKE was summoned for being drunk on licensed premises on the 11th May. He said he was not drunk.— Constable 81 stated that at a quarter past seven o’clock on the night in question, he was in King-street and saw the defendant staggering up the street. He entered the Oddfellows public house. Witness followed him as quickly as he could and found him sat in the taproom, and the landlord trying to get him out. He was very drunk.— Defendant: I was not, but I had a tidy sup.— The officer: The landlord took you home. I saw you and a half afterwards, and you were drunk.— Defendant: Oh Lor.— The Chairman: Anything known of him?— Defendant: Never in my life.— Fined 10s, including costs.

A Dog’s Memory

An interesting case was before the Ashton County Court on Thursday, in which the point at issue was the ownership of a dog. The plaintiff was John FISHER and the defendant, Sergeant-major PEAGRAM. Mr J S EATON was for the plaintiff and the defendant was represented by Mr J B POWNALL. Mr EATON briefly stated that the case had reference to a dog. In June of last year, plaintiff had lost a dog. About that time defendant found one which he claimed to be his, but which the plaintiff also said belonged to him.

The plaintiff, John FISHER, stated that he was the manager for Messrs STEAD and SIMPSON, shoemakers, Stamford-street, Ashton. About three years ago, he became possessed of a dog. "It was a small collie sable bitch, marked with a white collar round the neck, having a white breast and small feet for this kind of dog, and had many peculiarities. One peculiarity was a small lump on the iris of the eye which gave one the impression of a squint. He lost the dog in January 1900. The next time he saw it, it was in Stamford-street with a lady (Mrs PEAGRAM). He called the dog by its name and it recognised him instantly. Mrs PEAGRAM called her husband who said it was his dog.

Mrs FISHER, wife of the plaintiff, was called, and said the dog belonged to her brother twelve months before she had it, and it had been in her possession about one and a half years before being lost. It was known by the name of "Glen." The dog was brought into court, and on the last named witness being asked if it was the same dog, she said she would swear to it. At the request of the Judge she called out: "Glen, Glen," and the dog immediately came to her, wagged its tail, fawned upon her, and was evidently pleased.

Mr POWNALL, in defence, stated that in December 1899, the dog in court followed defendant’s little girl home. His client, who was a sergeant-major in connection with the Ashton volunteers, did what a prudent man ought to do under the circumstances, communicated with the police so that if the owner turned up the dog might be claimed. After a time the plaintiff turned up and claimed the dog. He stated it was 41/2 years old, and the defendant said he would submit the dog for inspection by a veterinary surgeon, and if the statement as to age tallied, plaintiff should have the dog.

Dr NEW, veterinary surgeon, said that the dog was brought to him. He examined it and found it had a full set of teeth. The dog in court was the same dog. In his opinion, the dog was not two years old. Asked by the Judge if there was any peculiarity connected with the eye, witness examined it and said there was a slight speck on the iris of the left eye. His Honour gave judgement for plaintiff, and made an order that the dog be delivered up, and the defendant pay the costs of the action.

A friend of a certain Bishop lost a dearly-beloved wife, and in the deep sorrow of his bereavement he caused these words to be inserted on her tombstone: — "The light of mine eyes has gone out." The bereaved husband was married again within a year. Shortly afterwards the Bishop was walking through the graveyard with another gentleman. When they arrived at the tomb the latter asked the Bishop what he would say now to the present state of affairs in view of the words on the tombstone. "I think," said the Bishop, "the words ‘I have struck another match’ should be added."
Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.