10 August 1901

We regret to announce the death of our young townsman Mr Elijah N MOSS which occurred at his residence, 22, Bradgate-street, on Thursday evening last. The deceased, who was in his 33rd year, was the eldest son of the late Mr Elijah MOSS, yeast importer, Chester Square, at whose death just ten years ago, he took over the active management of the business. Although recently the deceased had been in very indifferent health, and was under the treatment of Dr Simon SMITH, no serious results were anticipated by any of his friends as he was on his daily round with his cart no longer since than Monday last. The nature of his business, as well as his genial character, brought him constantly into contact with a wide circle of friends in the town and neighbourhood, where his personality was exceedingly well known and respected. Up to his death, Mr MOSS was a member of the Order of Foresters, and had held several offices connected therewith. His sudden demise, owing to an epileptic seizure, came as a shock to his relatives and acquaintances, with whom he was a general favourite. He leaves a widow to whom he was married scarcely a year ago but no issue, and much sympathy has been extended to her in her sad and early bereavement. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon at the Dukinfield Cemetery, and was attended by a large number of relatives; the Rev J M CRAVEN officiating.

On July 28th an old familiar resident in the person of the above passed away. It will be remembered by those who knew her that she had been indifferent in health for two or three years, but latterly a brain affection brought on her death. She was much respected by a large circle of friends. The internment took place on Saturday afternoon at St Peter's Church. Besides the members of the family (including children, grand-children and great grand-children, and relatives) we noticed Mr John WILSON, Mr E ROEBUCK, Mr and Mrs BLYTH, Mr James NEWTON, besides many ladies from the sewing meeting.

Found Near A Pool of Blood

Information was received at the Ashton Police Office on Monday of the death of Betty TRAVIS, aged 79, widow of William TRAVIS, formerly a warper, of Johnson's Yard, off Margaret-street, Ashton. Deceased had not enjoyed good health for the last two years, and had been attended by Dr DUNCAN's assistant for inflammation of the lungs. Recently she had been troubled by a bad cough. On Monday morning, she went to the house of a neighbour named Mary Ann ASHTON, to whom she complained of feeling badly, and asked her if she would fetch her three pennyworth of whisky. She did so, and took the whisky to the house, and on giving it to her she said she was going to have a drop in her tea. The neighbour then left her. About eleven o'clock, Samuel CROCKER, grocer, Margaret-street, went into the house and found the old woman lying on the edge of the sofa. There was a pool of blood on the floor near to the sofa. Mr COCKER went and told Mrs ASHTON, who returned with him, and on lifting the old woman on the sofa they found she was dead.

It is every year growing more and more the custom for everybody who is anybody to spend at least a few days away from home; and either in the country or down by the sea to enjoy a little relaxation from the rush and worry of their every day occupations. The regular yearly holiday, when business is to a great extent suspended, offers as a rule the most convenient opportunity for this all too brief change from the daily round, and so at these holiday times the various railway and steam boat companies and excursion caterers vie with each other in providing facilities for enabling holiday makers to reach with speed and comfort places of interest in all parts of the kingdom, and even many places on the continent. There is now such a variety of choice that every taste can be met, and the principal difficulty appears to be in coming to a decision among such an embarrassing wealth of places, each with its own special claim to consideration.

Messrs CASE and Co announce conducted and other tours to all the principal holiday centres, both inland and seaside, in the United Kingdom. They have also arranged excursions to Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, and up the Rhine, with special tours to Paris and other health and pleasure resorts on the Continent. The special feature, however, of their programme is a week's holiday in Wales, with Pwlleli as a centre, and including 100 miles of coach drives.

Messrs James LITTLE and Co, of Barrow-in-Furness, draw attention to the many advantages of the Barrow route to the Isle of Man. In addition to being a shorter sea passage than by other routes (no small consideration to many people), passengers by Barrow have the opportunity of breaking their journey so as to include a visit to Grange, Furness Abbey, and the many picturesque places in the English Lake District. They may also, if so inclined, make the return journey by way of Fleetwood or Liverpool, without any additional expense.

The L and Y and Midland Railway Companies announce through their agents, Messrs COOK and Son, a most varied programme for the Wakes week. There are excursion bookings on Friday night, Saturday, Sunday night and Monday morning, for periods varying from 1 to 15 days to London (with special facilities for the Co-op Festival at the Crystal Palace), to Brighton, Hastings, Eastbourne, and other watering places on the south coast; to Bournemouth, Weymouth, Southampton and the Channel Islands; to Leicester, Birmingham, Worcester, Cambridge, Cheltenham, and other places of interest in the Midlands. There are also bookings to Yarmouth, Cromer, Lowestoft, and other resorts in the Eastern Counties; to Plymouth, Exeter, Ilfracombe, and other places in the West of England; and conducted and other tours to Paris, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, and the Continent generally. Besides these there are all the usual trains to Liverpool, Blackpool, and Southport, to Carlisle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and other places in Scotland; to the Isle of Man, Belfast, Dublin, Killarney, and all parts of Ireland.

At the Ashton County Court on Thursday, a case was heard in which Joseph Lawrence Patrick DOHERTY, Newman-street, Ashton, was the plaintiff and Mary DRAYCOTT the defendant. Plaintiff was represented by Mr J A GARFORTH and Mr A LEES was for the defendant.

Mr GARFORTH gave particulars of the claim which were that the father of the plaintiff, Patrick DOHERTY, who was an army pensioner and was formerly drill instructor of the Ashton Volunteers, died on 4th day of June 1900 intestate. On or about July 31st 1888 he married the defendant Mary DRAYCOTT, the Mary ASHCROFT. The plaintiff was the only child of the deceased drill instructor. Defendant refused to take out letters of administration of the estate of her late husband, and had declined to renounce. Since the decease of the late of the late Patrick DOHERTY, the defendant had married William DRAYCOTT, coal merchant, of 60 Grosvenor-street, Ashton.

Mr GARFORTH stated that the plaintiff's father was a steady, saving man, and had as they alleged, money in the bank. Since his death his client had waited the statutory time, and could get no account at all. He had letters in which it was alleged his late father died in debt, and he would apply for an order that he be furnished with an account. He had to assume administration de son tort, as the deceased was buried by his then widow. He could prove that she received the policy of insurance. He was told that the doctor's bill had not been paid. The furniture of the house for the purpose of administration was valued at 20, but there were also articles of intrinsic value, some silver candlesticks, a silver teapot, and medals. His client was entitled to know what had become of the estate of the deceased.

The plaintiff, Jos. Lawrence Patrick DOHERTY, then gave evidence in support of the above statements, and said his father was a temperate and saving person, and invested his money in the Post Office Savings Bank. He was 72 years of age and his last pension was drawn in April before his death. He had some freehold land. Witness did not know where the furniture was now. He did not know whether it had been sold or not. His father was insured in the London and Manchester, from which the defendant got 19 4s, and the Prudential from which she got 5 12s. After his father'' death, witness received a doctor'' bill for payment.

By Mr LEES: The furniture was in good sound condition, and was worth more than 50s. His father paid the premiums. The pension was about 16s a week. In addition his father had worked as a lockkeeper at the Enamel Co, Dukinfield. Defendant said she would let him have the furniture, but when he went for it, he could not get it, and she said he must have his old clothes. Mr LEES submitted that plaintiff knew the extent of the value of the estate, and he knew that his father's widow had disposed of it. His client did not want to be put to the expense of preparing an account when she knew there were no funds from which she should receive remuneration. Defendant's husband received nothing except his pension, and the wife had to go and work as a tailoress earning 14s or 15s a week. She paid the insurance premium out of her own earnings. The only estate consisted of 24 16s.

His Honour said he should like to see the insurance receipts for the premium, but the defendant had not got them with her in court. Mr GARFORTH said the deceased might have transferred the account from the Post Office Savings Bank to someone else. The amount said to be standing to his credit was 126 11s 1d. His Honour said that it showed that there was something like 100 still in the bank. There might be another book somewhere, but some enquiry should be instituted.

The defendant, Mary DRAYCOTT, gave evidence as to the various articles of furniture left by the deceased, which she told the son he could have, and that she left them in a house next door for a week. Deceased had told her that he was drawing some money out of the bank to set his son up in the boot and shoe business. When she re-married, she sold a portion of the furniture for 25s. Since the death of her husband, she had paid 13 16s 2d of his accounts, and 1 to the neighbour for looking after him.

In reply to His Honour respecting the articles which defendant was willing to hand over, Mr GARFORTH suggested taking them pro tanto. The case was thereupon adjourned to October 10th to allow inquiries to be instituted in respect of the bank book.

A Grocer Burnt Out

A fire, which caused much commotion in the district, broke out at the premises of Messrs JONES Bros, grocers, 204, Katherine-street, Ashton, shortly before midnight on Sunday. Mr and Mrs JONES, who live in the house next door to the shop, retired to bed, along with their two little children, shortly before 11 o'clock. Mr JONES was just on the point of going to sleep when he was disturbed by a strong smell of smoke. Getting up, he at once raised an alarm of fire. Without a moment's delay he roused his wife, and then took hold of the two children, whom he carried into the street in their night-dresses. The shop, by this time, was all one mass of flames which burnt through the intervening lobby and into the house-part.

Both the first and second storeys of the shop were involved, and the flames shot out through the windows and high above the roof and igniting the spout. The water was turned off at the time, and Mr JONES ran off with all speed to the police station, and gave information of the fire. The alarm bells were rung at the Town Hall, and in an incredibly short time the steam fire engine was despatched along with a contingent of men. The water was turned on, and on arrival at the shop the fire was found to have got a firm hold. Several branch pipes were got to work, and after playing on the flames for about 40 minutes the fire was extinguished, but not before the stock and fixtures in the shop had been demolished. The efforts of the fire brigade sufficed, however, to prevent the flames spreading to adjoining buildings. The cause of the fire is unknown, but it is stated to have originated in the cellar underneath the shop.

A Few Facts Plainly Put

Sir. We are still at Van Reenan's Pass. We have been having a lively time here during the past week. We have been out of bed for five nights; the men have been standing to arms in the "blockhouses" from one o'clock to daybreak every morning. I write with a loaded rifle at my elbow; but still the "great unsoaped come not, they content themselves with murdering the native scouts they have murdered and wounded and captured five more. When they capture the poor beggars they torture them to death, so it is better to be killed outright. These are Mr W T SARAD's (?) "simple bothers."

What a long time it seems to wait before daybreak. Nothing to break the monotony, save an occasional "Halt! Who goes there?" followed by the rattle of a rifle bolt as it is rapidly loaded or brought to full cock, or the snick of a safety catch. The orders are to challenge anyone on the inside of the barbed wire once, and to fire at anything approaching on the outside.

We are all right for grub here now. We are settled down, and have plenty of fresh meat and bread. The Boer prisoners are treated like "lords" in comparison with us. They receive better and more plentiful rations than us, and they have even a fatigue party of soldiers told off to clean up their camp and dig their latrines and refuse pits. This is the barbarous way we treat the poor suffering Boer prisoners! They can travel in railway carriages and we have to glad to get trucks

We are now in winter, and always in greatcoats. We have occasional games of cricket and football. It is just pay day, and the men have returned from the Kaffir kraals with fowl's eggs and curios.

Sergeant Eric EATON, Volunteer Service, Manchester Regiment

Alma Bridge
Joseph SAMPSON, collector of tolls at the Alma Bridge Toll Bar. The bridge was built in 1854 and tolls were collected until 1902. When the toll was ended, free beer and meat pies were given out on Chapel Hill, Click on the photo for a larger image.
On Thursday afternoon a joint meeting of representatives of the Ashton-under-Lyne and Dukinfield Corporations was held at the Ashton Town Hall to consider the question of purchasing Alma Bridge from the Ashton and Dukinfield Bridge Co with a view to the abolition of the toll bar. There were present Alderman A W SIDDALL (presiding), Alderman W ANDREW, Councillor M L HALL, Mr F W BROMLEY )Town Clerk), Mr J S BARNSHAW (Surveyor), Alderman H PRATT, Alderman C S HADFIELD, Counsellor G HEATHCOTE, Councillor W H ASHWORTH, and Mr T H GORDON (Town Clerk), Dukinfield.

A letter was read from Mr J A GARFORTH, secretary to the Bridge Company, with reference to the proposed inspection of the bridge by an engineer, on behalf of the joint Corporations. A discussion took place as to the terms to be offered for the purchase of the bridge, and, and various suggestions were made. It was finally decided to write to the company asking them to meet the joint corporations at an early date to discuss the matter and to commence proceedings, with a view to securing an Act in the next Parliamentary session for the acquisition of the bridge. The Bridge Company, we understand, lay down the condition that they are to be paid as much money as will bring them three per cent, or 250 per annum.

Mr T ASHTON, secretary of the Oldham Provincial Spinners' Association and president of the Spinners' Amalgamation, has been unable, through illness, to attend to his official duties during the past week. Mr ASHTON attended his office up to a week ago, but had then to be removed home. Though somewhat weak, he is happily now slowly recovering.

Proposed Reduction in Wages

A wages dispute is at present responsible for the stopping of the Astley Deep Pit, belonging to the Dukinfield Collieries. Our representative has made inquiries with a view to learning the cause of the cessation of labour, and was informed that the men engaged in what is termed "ripping" in the Peacock Mine must suffer a reduction of 1s per yard, and those employed in the Black Mine must go on three shifts. If these terms were not accepted the pit would be closed. Mr VAUGHAN, the men's check weightman, was informed of these new terms on Thursday night and a meeting of the men was held at the Nag's Head when it was resolved not to resume work the following day upon the conditions stipulated by Mr BOTD. Another meeting is to be held on Monday.

At the Stalybridge Police Court on Wednesday, a charge of cruelty to a horse was instigated. The defendants were Stephen DOWNING and Frederick MARSHALL, the former being charged with working a horse whilst in an unfit state, and the latter with causing the animal to be worked.

When the case was called on, MARSHALL's father appeared, whereupon Inspector POCOCK, of the RSPCA, objected to his presence. MARSHALL's son had been summoned, and he (the inspector) had nothing to do with the father. MARSHALL: I am the owner. Inspector POCOCK: That does not matter. The case was put back until the son was fetched, and he arrived in about half an hour's time from Hooley Hill. Defendants were then charged together, and they pleaded guilty.

Constable ASHTON stated that at 2.30 on Wednesday afternoon, 24th ult, he was on duty in Stanford-street when he saw DOWNING in charge of a horse which was attached to a mineral water cart. DOWNING could hardly get the horse along, whereupon the officer examined it, and found a sore underneath the saddle, and from which matter was running. DOWNING said the horse belonged to MARSHALL and Co, mineral water manufacturers, Hooley Hill, and that Frederick MARSHALL saw him start out. The horse, he added, had been kept inside the previous day.

Inspector POCOCK also gave evidence. He said the horse was aged, and very much worn. When he saw the sore it had been covered with fuller's earth. There was a pad on which wore marks of discharged matter. DOWNING now said that ASHTON ripped off the saddle, and so disturbed the sore.

The Clerk: You have no right to say that after you have pleaded guilty. You should have asked the constable questions. MARSHALL had nothing to say. He was fined 1 and costs and DOWNING 5s and costs, or fourteen days' imprisonment each.

Before the Registrar (Mr Henry HALL, JP) at the Ashton County Court on Thursday, the adjourned case of NORMENTON v HALLIWELL was brought up for hearing. The plaintiff, Charles NORMENTON, fish dealer, King-street, Dukinfield, sued Wm. HALLIWELL, labourer, Dukinfield (described as the champion draught player) for 2 for lodgings between September 24th and December 24th 1898.

At the first hearing, Mr G HEATHCOTE, solicitor, appeared for the defendant, and Mr J S EATON for the plaintiff. Evidence was given by the plaintiff NORMENTON and his wife, proving the claim. The defendant got into the box and made a short denial that he was lodging at plaintiff's, and stated that he had never earned a penny in October. The Registrar said that there was wilful perjury on one side or the other, and thereupon adjourned the case to give the solicitors an opportunity of bringing further evidence. At the resumed hearing on Thursday, Mr HEATHCOTE withdrew from the case

Mr EATON asked for HALLIWELL to be put into the box for cross-examination, and on this being done HALLIWELL said he should adhere to his former statements. Whatever he had said, he did so believing it to be the truth. His extraordinary verbosity and apparent indifference to the gravity of the matter drew forth remarks of disapprobation from plaintiff's solicitor and the Registrar. Evidence was tendered by Sarah PERRY (nee Sarah WALKER) and Tom NORMINTON (sic) to show that the defendant lodged with plaintiff at the time named, and Zachariah PIKE, builder and contractor, Hooley Hill, was called as a witness to prove that defendant had worked and earned money for a Mr GOODWIN, by whom he was employed in October.

Defendant said he was labouring under a complete delusion. What he had said previously he honestly believed and conscientiously believed every word to be true, and if he had not complied with what was right, it was pure mistake. Inadvertently he was totally wrong in the date. The Registrar said defendant would have to pay the money, 2, and all costs. He would not say what he thought of the defendant, but he would simply make the order.

Sir, Through the medium of your paper, I wish to draw attention to what appears to be the desecration of a Catholic burial ground, situate in Astley-street, near the "Chapel House" Inn, Dukinfield. This burial ground was formerly attached to a Catholic church long since pulled down and in it a great number of people were buried, but for the last thirty or forty years, no interments have taken place, and the burial ground has been walled in.

Some few weeks ago, however, part of the wall was knocked down and a wooden hoarding took its place. Excavations then commenced, and I believe are being carried out at the present time. The hoarding referred to is kept closed except the passage of sundry carts which are engaged on the job. During these excavations, which go several feet from the surface, many coffins with their shrouded occupants, sundry-skulls, bones, hair &c have been unearthed and put into a general hole, dug for the purpose in another portion of the churchyard, whilst the soil, gravel &c is carted away to some tip in the district.

I understand that that these excavations are being made for the foundations of some offices or warehouses which are to be erected on the site of the old Catholic church burial ground. I refer from comment; but I wish to draw public attention to the matter in the hope that it may be looked into by our "City Father" (who I presume have passed the plans), or someone with more personal interest in it than yours truly,

COMMON GOOD, Dukinfield, August 6th, 1901

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.