11 May 1901

About 9.30 on Sunday night, a number of people were standing in the middle of the roadway on Bardsley Bridge waiting for an electric car to pass to take them to Ashton. An electric car came along, and the intending passengers stepped on to the side of the roadway. As they did so, a wagonette loaded with passengers, and drawn by three horses, belonging to the Waterhead Carriage Company, Oldham, ran right into them, knocking several to the ground.

One young lady named Florence TAYLOR, 4, Bridge-street, Hooley Hill, received severe injuries, the wagonette apparently passing over her body. The electric car was brought to a standstill, and first aid was rendered by Motorman Gilbert McCLANG and Conductor BEELEY. The young lady was placed in the electric car and taken to Dr BOWMAN’s surgery in Wellington-road, Ashton, where her injuries were attended to.

A Question of "Animus" and "Private Spite"

At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, Samuel E KETTLEWELL, surveyor for the Limehurst District Council, was charged with obstruction at Waterloo on April 23rd. Defendant, who was represented by Mr TAYLOR, clerk to the Limehurst Council, pleaded no guilty.

Evidence was given by a constable that on the evening of the 22nd April the defendant left a load of setts which had been tipped in Newmarket-road, Waterloo, and which remained there for 12 hours, to the inconvenience of the traffic. The setts were on the right hand side of the road, and there was no light guarding them. Witness called at defendant’s house the same night to acquaint him, and was told he had gone to bed. Defendant’s son had gone out, and witness called again about nine o’clock, but he had not returned. Witness went about 8.30 the following morning and the stones were lying in the same position.

Cross-examined by Mr TAYLOR: The stones lay as if tipped out of the cart. Complaints were made by a farmer who said it was a disgrace to have it lying in front of any man’s door. There was a footpath between the stones and the house close by. He did not know that the stones were broken up and used by 10.30 the same morning.

Mr TAYLOR: This was the very last load of stones to be used for the work, and it is absurd and preposterous to suppose that the stones can be carted back every night. It is a flimsy and altogether unwarrantable charge; it is done to gratify some private spite.

The Magistrate’s clerk: I am surprised that a clerk to a rural authority should use remarks of that kind.

Mr TAYLOR: I do that because I know there is a great deal of animus against our surveyor. This has been prompted by private individuals to gratify their animus against the surveyor. It is simply absurd that we should be brought here. There were only 50 paving stones left; they were part of the last load, and were counted by the man who overheard the person complaining to the police about them. The man went to Mr MAWDSLEY, who lives close by, and asked him to look at them, and he said he did not see much to complain about.

The Magistrate’s Clerk quoted a case to show that a surveyor leaving stones on a road under repair without sufficient light at night might be convicted of wilful obstruction. The Bench fined defendant 10s and costs.

Daniel LOMAS failed to appear at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, to answer a charge of being drunk and disorderly on licensed premises at Hurst on April 20th. A constable deposed to the defendant going into the Miners’ Refuge, Hurst, in a drunken state, but was refused any drink. — fined 5s 6d and costs or 14 days.

OBSTRUCTING FOOTPATH — Two batches of youths were before the Ashton County Justices on Wednesday, charged with obstructing footpaths at Hurst on April 21st. Their names were Edward WRIGHT, Robert DEWHURST, James CARTWRIGHT, Ralph ENITEN, Albert MILLS, Alfred SMITH, James OUSEY, Edward KNOTT and John TAYLOR. — They all pleaded guilty, and CARTWRIGHT, who had been up before, was fined 5s, and the others 2s 5d.

We understand that the vacancy caused by the retirement of Constable HUNTER, at Waterloo, is to be filled by Constable NEWTON of Mossley, who will shortly be transferred to his new district.

TRANSFER OF LICENCE — At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, the licence of the Newmarket Inn was transferred from Wm. GARSIDE to Emily TRAVIS.

DOG WITHOUT LICENCE — Edwin Holmes pleaded guilty, at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, to having a dog without licence on April 16th, and was fined 5s 6d and costs.

NO NAME ON CART — Frederick SUTCLIFFE failed to appear at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday to answer a charge of having no name on his cart on April 22nd, at Bardsley, and was fined 2s 6d and costs.

BOWLING HANDICAP — Under the auspices of the Waterloo Conservative Club, a bowling handicap was held on their green on Saturday, when there were 31 entries. The attendance was good and the result as follows: 1st prize, J CARTWRIGHT; 2nd T DITCHFIELD; 3rd J BUCKLEY. The party were afterwards entertained to tea, and a most enjoyable evening was spent.

TWO DISORDERLIES — John CLEMINSHAW and John SYKES were before the Ashton County Police Court justices on Wednesday charged with being drunk and disorderly at Bardsley on 20th April. — A constable stated that at 3.15 on the afternoon in question he saw the defendants drunk and making use of bad language. When witness approached them, SYKES said "Let’s punce him to death." — Defendants said they were on their knees gathering up beetroots when the constable came and charged them with cussing. — Fined 5s.

— A much-looked-for event in the Catholic Churches of Ashton is the crowning of the image of the Blessed Virgin, which is done on the first Sunday in May of each year. For weeks beforehand, the dresses and costumes are prepared by the parents of the children, who long to see their little ones in the procession a credit to their school and themselves. Not only are the parents busy, but the teachers also, and on them a great deal of the success of the celebration depends.

To judge by the attendance at both churches on Sunday last, there appeared to be no lack of interest shown either by Catholics or non-Catholics, as many of the latter were present in order to see ceremonies, the like of which are never seen in their own place of worship. We doubt if ever before St Mary’s Church showed to such advantage as it did on Sunday night, and the members of the congregation who were present must have felt a thrill of pride when they saw the altar so beautifully and profusely decorated with many coloured flowers, an image of the Blessed Virgin being especially prominent in this respect.

The rosary was recited by Father TWOMEY, who also preached a very instructive and eloquent sermon on the Mother of God. The procession itself was equal in every respect to its predecessors, and was much on the same lines. The crossbearer, Mr J EGAN, and the acolyte were at the head and followed by the May Queen, Miss Agnes MULLEN, a pretty little girl of about four, most tastefully attired in a dress of pale blue silk, with a long train of the same material lined with cream silk and trimmed with lace. She carried a bouquet of pure white flowers, and her train was borne by two little girls, Misses Kathleen SMETHURST and Alice SHERBURNE. Immediately in their wake came the crown bearer, Miss Dorothy BYRNE, carrying a beautiful crown of white lilies on a velvet cushion. She was followed by a number of girls robed in white and wearing both wreaths and veils, also by 25 girls dressed in the same colour and bearing beautiful white lilies. After these walked the boys, whose dark clothes formed a marked contrast to the white costumes of the girls.

A statue of the Virgin, beautifully decorated, was carried by four girls. The Children of Mary came next, wearing white veils and cloaks of delicate blue. Following them were the second acolytes with the rector, Father TWOMEY. Just as the statue was crowned, the beauty of the altar was greatly enhanced by the appearance of electric lights. They seemed to be all over, along the sides and across the altar; at the tops of the candles and clustering round the statue itself in a blaze of splendour.

During the past week, Farrier-Sergeant MILLER of the Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry, has returned from South Africa. Farrier-sergeant MILLER was one of the yeomanry volunteers who left Ashton for the front 18 months ago and who were prior to departure given a hearty send-off at the George and Dragon Hotel. He set sail from Liverpool on February 10th 1899. And on the 18th of last month he embarked at Capetown for home on the steamship Canada which arrived at Southampton on Sunday morning.

"Dick" who is as well known by this familiar pseudonym as his brother "Ted", mine host of the Brunswick Hotel, has had a good share of the fighting in the campaign in South Africa, and to use his own expression, would have liked to have "stopped it out", but fate ruled otherwise. He happened an accident by falling from a kopje, and broke his ankle, in addition to dislocating the bone. He was then some 150 miles from "nowhere", and had to be jolted about for that distance for seven days before reaching the railway, by which he was conveyed to the hospital at Jackalsfontein to have the bone set.

He is at present over on a month’s furlough, and will probably get his discharge, although there is a strong inducement to return on account of an excellent situation in the veterinary line having been offered him at Capetown, but he has a predilection for Old England and the forge of Messrs MILLER and Sons in Park-street, of which he has charge.

Land has been taken this week for another new cotton mill by the same gentlemen who have founded the Minerva, the Rock, the Atlas and the Curzon. The site is now occupied by old Portland House, at the end of Portland-street, on the canal side. This almost historic old building will be cleared away, and the land to the east of it. Upon this ground will be built a splendid new factory for fine counts — 60’s to 80’s. It will not therefore compete with any other Ashton mill.

HEGINBOTTOM SCHOOL BOTANY STUDENTS — The class in botany at the above school visited Broadbottom on Saturday afternoon, the rendezvous being Hodge Hall and grounds, owned by Mr MIDDLETON. A goodly number of interesting plants were noticed and described, such as honesty, greater periwinkle, jessamine, berberry, sarine, Jew’s mallow, columbine, bladder fern, crassnia syco-pedicides (a very rare plant from Kew Gardens, London), and other plants, including barrenwort in full flower.

THE CLOSING OF REFRESHMENT HOUSES — At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, William JONES, Thomas SLATER and Joseph Henry PEEL were charged with keeping their refreshment houses open during prohibited hours. — Superintendent HEWITT said that on the 6th of last month the defendants were found selling refreshments after 11 o’clock at night. It was entirely a question of law. He had been in consultation with various authorities, and there were differences of opinion on the matter. He could not see any other course than to accept the advice of the Magistrates’ Clerk, and withdraw the summons. If the Bench wished to hear the matter, however, he was prepared to go through it. — Mr POWNALL said he had invited the Excise Authorities, and offered them facilities to prosecute any similar case, and his clients were quite prepared to have a case stated and to appeal. — The cases were withdrawn.

ACCIDENT TO AN ASHTON CRICKETER — An accident occurred on Friday afternoon which will deprive the Ashton Cricket Club of the services of their professional, Thomas COLEMAN, for some time. COLEMAN and the other professional, Thomas HOLDEN, were engaged rolling the ground by means of a horse roller. COLEMAN had occasion to step on the axle of the roller, and in doing so, his foot became fast in one of the spokes and was severely crushed. The injuries were promptly attended to by a doctor.

On Thursday, at the Police Court, Samuel MASSEY applied for temporary permission to sell at the Black Horse Inn, Oxford-road, in place of Francis KILROY. — Superintendent COOPER said the applicant had been well known to the police for years, he having been at one time licensee of the Wheat Sheaf Inn, and he had conducted it respectably. — Granted.

THE RIFLE CLUB — A dozen members of the Dukinfield Rifle Club turned up at Hough Hill Range on Saturday. The weather was not altogether favourable to good scoring, the wind being high. The best scores at 100 yards were made by J P CAHILL 23, T HARRISON 22, J BARDSLEY 22, F HOWARD 22, A DANIELS 22, W DAVIES 21, and A P JAMISON 20. The shooting at 200 yards was poor.

A STREET OBSTRUCTION — On Thursday, at the Police Court, Robert FURNESS was summoned for leaving his horse and vehicle in the street for 20 minutes so as to be an obstruction to traffic. — Defendant said he was guilty of leaving the horse, but he did not think it would be 20 minutes. — Constable 112 stated that at 12 midday he saw the defendant’s horse and van standing opposite a shop in King-street. The half of the road was up and the horse was stretched halfway across the other half. Two vehicles had to pull up before they could pass. He watched the horse for ten minutes and stood beside it another ten, when the defendant came out of a shop. He had warned defendant about a similar offence a month ago. —Fined 2s 6d and costs.

Jubilee of a Christian Worker

The members and Sunday School workers of the Methodist New Connexion Church, Wellington-street, Dukinfield, made an interesting presentation at their annual meeting on Monday night to Mr John Compstone FELL, as a mark of appreciation of 50 years of Christian work, first as scholar, then teacher and superintendent, and now president of the Sunday School. A presentation was also made to Mrs FELL, who has proved herself an agreeable help-meet in all her husband’s affairs.

The presentation to Mr FELL took the form of an illuminated address, and that to Mrs FELL consisted of a silver tea service. The illuminated address, designed and executed by Messrs J ANDREW and Co, Ashton-under-Lyne, was in album, form, bound in dark Morocco leather, decorated in gold, and the monogram of the recipient embossed on the side.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (© 1999-2021) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at https://rhodesfamily.org.uk.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.