15 June 1901

Husband and Wife Disagree

At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, John MILLER, was summoned by his wife, Fanny MILLER, for persistent cruelty. Mr J A GARFORTH appeared for the complainant and Mr BOSTOCK was for the defendant.

Mr GARFORTH said the defendant had been brought there charged with persistent cruelty to his wife, causing her to live apart from him, and he asked for a separation order and for the husband to provide a sufficient sum of money for her maintenance. The facts were that the two young people were married in October 1898, and up to February, 1900, or thereabouts, they lived fairly comfortably together. A trouble arose, he was afraid, from the fact that defendant’s father, a carrier, at Smallshaw, having some property, induced his son and wife to go and live in his house, the three to live together, an unfortunate thing in this case.

The old gentleman was of peculiar disposition, penurious to a degree. An arrangement was made that he should pay eight shillings a week for his keep, that they should live rent free, and that he should fund coal. Unfortunately instead of getting another protector, the complainant got what she found to be another slave-driver. She was put into offices of manual labour; she was treated as a wife. It was made her duty to be up on a winter’s morning when they were going to market and to provide the necessities for lighting up the lamps and she received the carts when they returned at night, and altogether her life was made other than comfortable.

The cruelty in the first place consisted in sulking. The old man would sulk for a week or 10 days, and invariably took his son’s part in any little disturbance there might be. In February 1900, owing to threats, the wife left her husband and went away to her mother’s house. She stayed away about a week or so, when the husband went to her and under promises of amendment and of alteration in the style of living, she was induced to go back to him and she remained with him until a little before Whitsuntide the same year, when he gave her a black eye and ordered her off, and said what he would do if she came back. He threw her on the floor, and bumped her head, and dragged her from there into the back kitchen, along a pipe-clayed floor, and finally, after receiving considerable bruises and a black eye, she broke from him, and he pursued her out of the front door.

They lived in a place called The Sett, Brown Fields, Smallshaw, and the house had a kind of garden to it. Complainant fled into the garden, and the husband followed her. He told her she must never come near that place again, or he would do a job for her. The married couple had no children. The defendant was in the employment of his father, and his wages were from 21s to 24s a week.

Fanny MILLER, the complainant, gave corroborative evidence. — By Mr BOSTOCK: She admitted striking her husband with a bucket, but it was above six months ago. She went to him in the stable, but declined to state her purpose. Miss Mary Ellen CARTER, Uxbridge-street, Ashton, deposed to seeing complainant running out of the house, followed by her husband, who used language as aforementioned. Constable ORMEROD deposed to serving the summons on defendant, who said that he struck his wife, but never turned her out.

Mr BOSTOCK submitted that the evidence was not sufficient to justify the magistrates in making an order. Complainant followed her husband to the stable and attempted to strike him with a shovel. John MILLER gave evidence denying the alleged cruelty. When he returned home on Whit Monday, his wife was dressed up ready for going out. She said she would go out when she liked. He remonstrated, and she fired a plate at him. She followed him to the stable, and said she would kill him with a shovel she had in her hands. She tried to strike him, but he prevented her.

John MILLER, father of the defendant, stated that the couple had lived with him for two years, and that he had never seen defendant strike his wife, but she had struck him many times. Squire HAMPSON, carter, deposed to seeing the wife attempt to "belt" her husband with the shovel. — (Laughter)

The bench agreed that from the evidence they could not give an order, and the case was dismissed.

Yesterday (Friday) a lockout took place at the Rock Spinning Co’s mill. For some time the spinners have had a grievance in regard to the supply of skips, which does not prevail at the Atlas and Minerva Mills, belonging to the same company. They accordingly determined to serve notices upon the management unless their terms were complied with they would cease work. On Friday morning the manager stopped the machinery and informed the spinners that their services were no longer required, at present times at all events. This is practically a lockout. We understand that the company have a large stock in the cellar, and when this has diminished the hands will be recalled to their occupations.

A "Conscientious" Objector

On Monday, at Stalybridge Police Court, Ralph ALBINSON stepped forward and applied for a vaccination exemption certificate in respect to his child.

Colonel SIDEBOTTOM: On what grounds do you apply? — Applicant: We think it would do harm.

Colonel SIDEBOTTOM: Who has advised you to come here and apply for this? No one. — Upon what grounds do you apply? Well, you see we have lost two already. — The two you have lost has nothing to do with the present.

Mr WAINWRIGHT: Do you consider the deaths were due to vaccination? Yes, sir. The Clerk: I don’t know whether it is for me to put the words in his mouth. Colonel SIDEBOTTOM: It is done very often.

Mr R INNES: What was the matter with the other children? Applicant: First died of pneumonia.

Mr LANES: That has nothing to do with smallpox or vaccination. What did the other die of? Brain fever. — (Laughter). Mr INNES: And that has nothing to do with vaccination. The Clerk: None whatever.

Colonel SIDEBOTTOM: Have you a wife? Yes. — I suppose she is very anxious for this child not to be vaccinated? Yes. — You conscientiously think it would be injurious to the child’s health? — Yes. It is very unsatisfactory to come and apply like this.

Mr INNES: And to tell us have died from vaccination, when he now says it was pneumonia and brain fever. It does not fall in at all. The Clerk (to applicant): You should not say it is vaccination. It is not fair to those who believe in it. Applicant: Well I don’t believe in it.

The Clerk (sharply): Well, don’t say that pneumonia or brain fever have anything to do with vaccination. Applicant: It is hard lines when you have buried two.

Colonel SIDEBOTTOM intimating that the application would be granted said that before he personally signed any exemption certificate he would require evidence of a doctor to certify the child’s unfitness. Applicant having secured his document, promptly paid 2s, its cost, and then left the court.

DUKINFIELD BUTCHERS’ ASSOCIATION — The above combination had their annual trip on Monday last, the place chosen this year being Hope, for Castleton. About 20 members and wives started from Hyde Junction about 9 o’clock, changing at Marple, and arriving at Hope about 10.39. Here Mr MATTHEW was waiting with a char-a-banc to take the party to the Peak Hotel, Castleton, where luncheon was provided. Afterwards a drive of 21 miles was taken through lovely valleys and by majestic peaks, passing the quaint village of Hathersage with its church and the burial place of Little John of Robin Hood fame, to Surprise View, and then on to Fox House, where the horses had a little rest.

The keeper to the Duke of Rutland gave the party privilege to view the grounds and mansion, Longshaw, which is a very old place. Returning to the Peak Hotel, Castleton, dinner was provided. Having done justice to the inner man, there was a little time to spare, so the Great Peak Cavern, Peveril Castle, Speedwell Blue John Mines, the Shivering Mountain &c. were viewed. The char-a-banc afterwards took them to Hope Station to catch the 7.35, arriving Hyde Junction about 10 o’clock, and a beautiful out they had.

A (Dukinfield) correspondent writes: — Whilst out for a stroll the other evening, I noticed that the contractor is going at a merry pace with the making of the new Dewsnap-lane, a good length of the sewering having been laid. The lane, when finished, will be a perfectly straight line from the corner of Astley Mill to the New Inn, Birch-lane. It is thus likely that peds. May shortly bid adieu to the old quagmire through which they have had to pass through heretofore.

A Dukinfield Coal Dealer Fined

At Stalybridge Police Court on Monday, Thomas THORPE, coal dealer, Cheetham Hill-road, Dukinfield, was summoned at the instance of the RSPCA for cruelty to horse whilst in an unfit state. Inspector POCOCK said the case was a bad one, and irrespective of a nasty sore spot on its back, it was totally unfit for work. Any unexperienced man could tell that.

Sergeant HEATH said that at 10.45 on the morning of the 17th May, he met the defendant in Bayley-street in charge of a dark bay horse attached to a lorry laden with coal. — Witness stopped defendant and proceeded to examine the horse. On looking under the saddle, he found a sore about the size of a crown, and this had a covering of fuller’s earth. There was dry matter adhering to the inside of the saddle, which was packed in order to keep it from rubbing against the wound. The off hind leg was very much swollen, and the horse was in a very poor condition. It was also filthy, not having, apparently, been groomed for some considerable length of time. Witness told THORPE to take the horse home, and he did so. Subsequently the sergeant examined the animal, along with Inspector POCOCK, and then found blood and matter coming from a wound on the back.

Colonel SIDEBOTTOM: Do you want to ask any questions? — Defendant: I don’t think it wants any. The horse was perfectly better. Where was the sore? — Sergeant HEATH: On the back. — Did I not tell you it was a heat lump? No. — Colonel SIDEBOTTOM (to the sergeant): What drew your attention to the horse? — HEATH: Its general appearance, and in addition I have complaints about it. Colonel SIDEBOTTOM said it was a very serious offence. He was fined 5s and costs or 14 days imprisonment. The money was paid.

Dies While Pushing His Boat Through Romiley Tunnel

Coroner NEWTON held an inquest at Hyde Bank Farm, Romiley, on Thursday morning, touching the death of Eli HALL of Dukinfield. Mr DAVENPORT was foreman of the jury. The following evidence was submitted:—

Annie HALL, of Dukinfield Old Hall, Dukinfield, said: Deceased was my father. He was 45 years of age, and a boatman. I saw him last alive on Wednesday night when he complained of pains in his chest. Dr PARK saw him and gave him some medicine about two years ago for his chest. He was troubled with shortness of breath.

James JONES, 29 Charles-street, Ashton, said: I am captain of the canal boat Coras, and deceased was my mate. He had complained of pains in his chest during the past fortnight. We left Dukinfield with the boat about 5.20 on Wednesday morning. Deceased said he was feeling better than he had felt for some time. About 7.45 he got his breakfast, and then steered the boat as far as Romiley tunnel. The horse was here unhooked, and he then push to get the boat through with a shaft. I waited at the other end of the tunnel. A boy named HOWARTH was riding on the boat and man named MELLOR, who had got on the boat in the tunnel, said he thought deceased was dead. I examined him and found he was dead.

Henry HOWARTH, 101 Higher Henry-street, Hyde, said: I got on the boat at Hyde about 6.50 on Wednesday to ride to Marple. I started through the tunnel and he pushed the boat along with a shaft. When he got about three parts through, he said he felt badly and sat down on the cabin. After resting about a minute, he got up to push the boat along when he fell forward on his face on the bricks. He never moved or spoke after he fell. We met another boat, and I called to the man for help, and he came and he helped us through the tunnel. When we got through the tunnel, I saw deceased was dead.

A verdict of death from natural causes, probably heart disease, was returned.

At the Dukinfield Police Court on Thursday, the man John Robert MOTTRAM, who was before the Court last week, was again brought up, charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm upon his wife, Annie MOTTRAM on the 3rd inst. The following evidence was given:

Annie MOTTRAM said: I am the wife of the prisoner who is a striker, and reside with him at 89 Wharf-street, Dukinfield. On Monday, the 3rd inst, at a quarter to six o’clock, I was at home after having been out washing at Cockbrook. My husband then came home very drunk. He wanted to know where I had been, at the same time using beastly language. I told him I had been out washing. He said I was a ——— liar, and asked me for the washing money. I told him I had spent a shilling, and had a shilling left. He used further bad language, and said I would have to give him the shilling. I refused to do so. He then ran at me and gave me a blow on the forehead with his fist.

He then took me by the hair of the head, and pulled me to the floor. Whilst on the floor, he banged his knees on my stomach twice with all his force. At that time, I was about three months pregnant and the prisoner knew my condition. I then got up and said "Oh Bob, you have hurt my inside". I went into the kitchen for a drink of water, but he would not let me have it. I fell in the kitchen through faintness caused by the loss of blood.

A neighbour named Ellen NADEN came into the house and Dr MILLER was sent for. I have been under the doctor’s care ever since. — In answer to the prisoner: I have had about four miscarriages before this. He brought one on himself through similar conduct. I was dancing in the Queen’s Arms on the Saturday before, but I did not tell you on the Sunday after that I was afraid I should have another miscarriage.

Sarah Ellen NADEN said: I am the wife of Herbert NADEN, cotton operative, and reside at Wharf-street, Dukinfield. At a quarter to six o’clock on Monday evening the 3rd June, I was stood at my door, and from what was said to me I went into the prisoner’s house. I saw Mrs MOTTRAM lying on the back kitchen floor. I saw plenty of blood at the back of the kitchen door. The prisoner was sat on a chair near the front door. I asked what he had done and he replied that his wife was as drunk as a ——— pig. I said she was not. After that the prisoner left the house. I helped a woman to put Mrs MOTTRAM on the sofa and then left. The prisoner was drunk and Mrs MOTTRAM was sober. — Prisoner has no questions to ask the witness.

Acting-Sergeant BAILEY said: I was on duty in Wharf-street and was called to the residence of the prisoner, 89 Wharf-street. I went there and found Mrs MOTTRAM lying on the sofa in a very exhausted and almost unconscious condition. I went to the Railway Inn in the same street and found the prisoner there. I brought him back home, and took him to his wife. In the prisoner’s presence, I asked her what had occurred and she made a statement. Prisoner had no questions to ask the witness and remarked that he was drunk and knew nothing about it.

The Bench committed prisoner for trial to the sessions, and if he could get bail, it would be granted.

BREACH OF THE PEACE — At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, Arthur Alfred SYKES, who failed to appear the week previously, was in custody, having been apprehended on a warrant, charged with committing a breach of the peace at Audenshaw on May 11th. — Prisoner, who pleaded guilty and said he was sorry, was bound over in 40s to keep the peace for three months.

GIVING A WRONG NAME — Joseph ANDREW, whose name was on the charge sheet as George JACKSON, was before the Ashton county justices, on Wednesday, on a charge of obstruction at Audenshaw. — A Constable stated that at 3.45am on the 23rd of the last month he saw a horse and trap standing on the footpath opposite the Snipe Inn, Manchester-road, with no-one in charge. Witness watched the horse and trap for ten minutes and saw several people have to leave the footpath and go into the middle of the road. When the driver came out of the Snipe Inn he told the witness his name was George JACKSON, of Dukinfield. This was false and witness spent two days in looking for defendant. — The magistrates fined defendant 10s and costs, or 14 days.

NEGLECTING TO MAINTAIN WIFE AND FAMILY — A middle aged man named James LAMB was in custody charged with not providing maintenance for his wife and family, who had become chargeable to the Union. — Mr SIMON (relieving officer) stated that the prisoner’s wife became chargeable to the Guardians on April 22nd, and since then had incurred a cost of 3 17s. Witness had not made application to the prisoner because he had not been able to find his whereabouts, but he (prisoner) knew perfectly well that his wife was in the workhouse. — Constable CORBETT deposed to apprehending prisoner at 6.30 on Sunday evening. — Prisoner pleaded guilty, and said he had got a good situation as inspector for Hooley Hill Local Board in connection with the sewage. He had only had the situation a fortnight, and had a little bit of bad luck lately. He was willing to pay if the magistrates would give him time. — Mr SIMON asked for 4s a week, and said the wife and family were still chargeable to the Union. — The case was adjourned for a month to give the prisoner an opportunity of carrying out his promise.

TEACHING CHILDREN TO BEG — Catherine McKEWN was charged with begging at Audenshaw on the 9th inst. Supt HEWITT informed the bench that when the prisoner was taken into custody, she had two children with her, neither of whom belonged to her. A woman in court named HUGHES had claimed one of the children. — The Chairman: How did she get hold of the children? I suppose they were borrowed for the purpose. — Evidence was given by a constable that at 9.45 on Sunday night, he saw prisoner stopping people along Manchester-road, Audenshaw. She had two little girls about 10 or 12 years of age with her. On seeing him, one of the girls ran away, but he caught the other girl. A woman named Mrs HUGHES came up and said the child was hers. The other child belonged to a woman named Margaret WILSHAW, of Pitt-street, Charlestown.

The prisoner commenced using bad language. She lived in one of the lodging houses in Charlestown, and witness had cautioned her before about begging. — Mrs HUGHES, mother of one of the children, said she met the prisoner and treated her to a drink. The child was not with the prisoner above five minutes. — Superintendent HEWITT pointed out that the worst feature was taking the children and teaching them to beg. Prisoner was committed to gaol for seven days.

Obtaining Money By False Pretences

At the Ashton Borough Police Court on Monday, Samuel BLOOMER was charged on remand with obtaining and attempting to obtain money by false pretences under the following circumstances: — Catherine DRAYCOTT said: I am the wife of Edwin DRAYCOTT, 48 Stockport-road, Ashton-under-Lyne. About three o’clock on the 20th ult, the prisoner and two others came to the shop. The prisoner handed a book similar to the one produced to me, and asked if I had anything to give to the colliers who were out of work through "this sad affair at Moss Pit". I gave one of the men a shilling. I did not read what was written in the book because I had no glasses in the shop at the time.

Ada WAGSTAFFE said: I live at Glencoe Villa, Smallshaw. I remember the prisoner coming to our house with another man. The book produced was handed to my brother. The prisoner said there were 700 thrown out of work through the fire at Moss Colliery. I gave them 1s and entered the amount in the book produced with the initials "A.W." against it. I thought I was giving the money to a fund for the men thrown out of work.

Thomas Herbert WORDSWORTH said: I am general manager of the New Moss Colliery. The prisoner had no authority from me to collect money on behalf of the miners at Moss Pit, nor have I given permission to anyone to collect on their behalf.

Joseph ETCHELLS said: I live at 223 Old-street, Ashton. At a quarter past nine o’clock in the evening on 29th, the prisoner came into our shop and put a book, similar to the one produced, on the counter. He asked my wife if she had anything to give to the colliers at Moss Pit. She replied that she had not and did not open the book. He asked her to read what was in the book and see what others had given. At that point, a police officer entered, and took prisoner into custody.

The prisoner on being formally charged had nothing to say. — The Clerk: This is not the first time you have been doing this sort of thing, as you know. We have met before. Been on this tack once or twice. The last time, you were going round collecting money for the nightsoil men in their name, and kept the money for yourself. The Chief Constable said he had been up eight times before the county magistrates, and in December last he was sent for one month for collecting on behalf of the nightsoil men. Also three months for stealing from the person. — The Bench committed prisoner to gaol for six months’ hard labour.

A FARMER WHO COULD NOT READ — At Stockport on Thursday, Matthew NIELD was charged with removing pigs without a declaration at Compstall on 31st May. — The case was proved by Constable BRADBURY. — Defendant pleaded guilty, and ignorance of the law as an excuse for the offence. He was a farmer. He could not read and could not tell a notice if he saw one. — He was fined 5s and costs.
Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.