21 December 1901

Suggestion of Larking at the Police Station

At the Ashton County Court on Wednesday, George BINTLIFFE was before the magistrates charged with being drunk in charge of a horse and trap at Waterloo on December 8th.— Defendant, who was represented by Mr SIXSMITH, pleaded not guilty.

Sergeant DOVE stated that at 1.30 on the Sunday morning in question, he was on duty, along with Constable KNOWLES, when he saw the defendant driving a horse and conveyance at a very brisk pace from the direction of Ashton. Witness noticed that he had no hat on. He went as far as the Co-operative Stores and then returned, and repeated this three times. There was a man named LEES with him, and on returning the third time LEES had got out, and defendant rushed his horse on to the footpath close to where witness was standing. Defendant was leaning over the front splashboard with the reins in his hands and in a very drunken state.

LEES came up and said he had been looking for defendant's hat. LEES got into the trap, and defendant refused to give him charge of the reins, and witness told him if he did not do so he should take the reins off him and take him to the police station. Witness took the reins off him, and Constable KNOWLES led the horse and trap to the police station. Defendant fell on to the footpath, and witness assisted him up and got him into the police station, where he was detained about a quarter of an hour. He insisted on being locked up and went into one of the cells. He was carrying on and using bad language. The wife of witness came downstairs and defendant shook hands with her and said he was very sorry he had got into this trouble. Defendant was sent home in charge of Constable HENDRY.

By Mr SIXSMITH: It was a stormy morning. Defendant was not sitting at the back of the trap; he was in a kneeling position in the front part. Witness fetched another constable out of bed to have a look at defendant. Witness did not say "right about turn" to defendant; Constable HENDRY said it. He never put him through any drill at all. The object of Constable HENDRY telling him to "right about turn" was because the last time they brought defendant into court they were told that they should produce more evidence of defendant's condition. The doctor had put him through his drill so Constable HENDRY thought he would do ditto.— (Laughter in court.) Witness did not say "You will not have all your brewery men as witnesses." He treated him like a gentleman.

Constable HENDRY said he saw the defendant at the police station, and he was then very drunk and leaning on the desk. Witness asked him to turn right about and he fell on a form. On taking him home defendant asked him to have a brandy and a cigar.— (Laughter.)

Mr SIXSMITH described the charge as a double-barrelled one. Defendant was not in charge of the horse and trap at all. He had his coachman with him, and his coachman was driving. He was not drunk. Defendant started at 2.30 in the afternoon from Waterloo with his coachman LEES and an Inland Revenue officer named ARMSTRONG, and they drove to Woodhead, and on returning they had tea at the Bull's Head, Tintwistle, which place they left just before 11 o'clock at night. During the drive all they had was five or six drinks. Defendant drove to the house of Mr ARMSTRONG, near Guidebridge, and all he had to drink there was a whisky and soda, and left there at one o'clock.

When near the Dog and Partridge, Waterloo, the coachman's hat blew off, and the coachman alighted to find it. Another puff of wind blew the defendant's hat off, and it was then that the police came upon the scene. He would suggest to the Bench that it was a little feeling had arisen out of the last case, in which the police were not successful, but were in fact spoken to somewhat harshly by the Chairman of the Bench. He would suggest that they were larking with defendant at the police station. The officer had grossly exceeded his duty.

The defendant, George BIBTLIFFE, corroborated the previous statements, and said that he only had four drinks from 2.30 to 11 o'clock at night, and one whisky and soda at Mr ARMSTRONG's house. He was not driving, but was riding on the back part of the trap. When he returned home, he changed his wet clothing and went down to the brewery, and took all the temperatures of the brewings, and gave the night watchman his usual instructions.

Jas LEES, coachman in the employ of Messrs SHAW and BINTLIFFE, corroborated the statement about the journey to Woodhead, and said he was driving all the way. Defendant was quite sober. John WILDE, landlord of the Bull's Head, Tintwistle, deposed to defendant leaving his house shortly before 11 o'clock, perfectly sober.. Thomas ARMSTRONG, Trafalgar-square, Ashton, excise officer, deposed to riding in the defendant's trap to Woodhead, and what he stated about the number of drinks was perfectly true. Sydney SPENCER, assistant manager of the New Moss Colliery, said he had rooms along with Mr ARMSTRONG. When defendant left the house he was sober.

Benjamin SMITH, mechanic, Wellington-road, Ashton, said he met defendant and had a chat with him after the charge had been made against him, and he was then quite sober. Mr GREAVES, builder, said he was waiting at defendant's home when he returned home. Defendant was then sober. George JOLLY, night watchman at Messrs SHAW and BINTLIFFE's, and Mrs BINTLIFFE both gave evidence of defendant being sober. The magistrates gave defendant the benefit of the doubt, and dismissed the case.

We have to record the death at Frankford, Philadelphia, of James Platt MELLOR, in the sixty-second year of his age. He was formerly employed at Whittaker's mill, Hurst, and was a resident of that place for a long time. He died suddenly at his home, 2,043 Margaret-street, Frankford, on Monday, November 11th, and was buried on Friday, November the 15th.

THE COLLIERS' ARMS CAMELLIA SHOW.— The first weekly show was held at the above house on Sunday, and was well attended by a large section of the gardening fraternity. The blooms staged were all of a very good quality, being a credit to their respective growers, who seemed proud of their products. Mr James BARROWCLOUGH was the judge and he awarded the prizes as follows:— 1st and 2nd, Mr BENNETT, Waterloo; 3rd, Tom WILDGOOSE, Hurst. A meeting was held after the show, and it was decided to form a Stock Show Society to be held annually.

HE HAD NOT MARRIED ALL THE FAMILY.— Elizabeth HARROP was before the Ashton county justices, on Wednesday, charged with committing a breach of the peace at Hurst on December 2nd.— Defendant pleaded not guilty.— Evidence was given by a constable, who deposed to seeing defendant quarrelling with a neighbour in Parliament-street.— Defendant said that her son-in-law came into her house and asked where her daughter was. He said she must mind what she said or he would flatten her. He banged his hand on the table and used foul language, and said he had not married all the family. He was drunk.— The Magistrates' Clerk: It is six of one and half-a-dozen of the other._ Defendant was bound over in 40s to keep the peace for three months.

PROMOTION FOR OVERLOOKER.— Mr Charles EAVES, powerloom overlooker, formerly employed at the Stamford Manufacturing Company, has obtained the position of manager at Binney and Co's mills, Madras, India, for which place he sailed on Friday last in the P and O steamer China. His fellow workmates determined that he should not go without some mark of esteem and respect from them, so arranged a social in the Co-operative Hall, Russell-street, Hurst, about 60 persons being present. The chair was occupied by Mr A THOMPSON, supported by Mr BRADLEY, the manager, and Mr J TAYLOR. During the evening the chairman called upon Mr BRADLEY who, in a few well-chosen words, asked Mr EAVES to accept from his workmates a present in the shape of a travelling bag. Mr EAVES responded, after which the evening was spent in singing and dancing. The weavers employed under Mr EAVES also bought him a beautiful silver clasp pocket book, and his friends at St James' Church a gentlemen's dressing case.

At the Ashton Borough Court on Monday, Thomas CLARKSON, guard in the employ of the Oldham, Ashton, and Hyde Electric Tramway Co, was summoned for carrying a greater number of passengers on a car than the same was constructed to carry on the 8th December. He pleaded guilty.— Constable GODDARD stated that at 10.15 on Sunday night week. He was in Stockport-road, and saw a car coming along very much overcrowded. The defendant was the conductor. He counted the passengers, and there were 54 — 15 on the left hand side, 16 on the right, 10 in the middle standing up, and 13 round the car at the back. The car was only licensed to carry 26 passengers.

Defendant dared say the bench would remember what sort of weather prevailed that night. It was wet. He was the last through car to Hyde, and it was either a question of his taking the passengers or letting them walk all the way to Hooley Hill, Denton, or Hyde. He had not that number when he left the Town Hall. By the time he got to Chester Square they were supposed to have about the full number in. He was inside collecting the fares, and was surprised to see such a large number on the car. They must have got on coming down Catherine-street. Witness added that there was such a crowd at the back that one man had to ride on the step.

Mr A PARK: You had 10 in the middle of the car, 15 to the left and 16 to the right, and must have seen them when collecting fares.— Witness said he got inside the car, and counted them. Most of them said they had booked, and intended to go.— The Clerk: One recognises the difficulty of your position when you were on the last car. People want to go home, and will get on. The only remedy you have is to stop your car if you have got too many on, and they will not get off. If it had only been a case of three or four over the policeman might not have taken any notice of it. You had double quantity.— Defendant: He was the first officer I had seen since leaving the Town Hall.— Fined 2s 6d and costs.

William HARTLE and John MILLER were fined 5s 6s each costs for being drunk and disorderly in Katherine-street on the 12th.— Constable WILLIAMSON proved the case, and said they were interfering with the Town Hallkeeper whilst he was erecting some awning.— James PHILBURN was charged with a like offence in Cotton-street on the 13th.— Constable HEIGHWAY said the defendant was fighting.— Defendant said he was really sorry. He had only just come out of prison, and had been in the hospital six weeks.— The Chief Constable said he had been up 26 times for all classes of offences.— Defendant appealed for another chance.— The Clerk asked him if he was going to be different?— Defendant said he was, and was going to be helped by the Prisoners' Aid Society to get work.— The Clerk told him it was not the way to get help from anyone, to come straight out of prison and begin fighting.— Bench decided to give him one more chance, and discharged him with the injunction to be more careful in future.— The Clerk: You have asked for another chance. Now you have got it, make good use of it.

VEHICLE WITHOUT LIGHT.— James WOODHOUSE was summoned for using a vehicle without having a light attached on the 11th December.— He said the light was out.— The Clerk: Were you like the foolish virgin without oil?— Defendant: No, I burn candles.— (Laughter.) When I drew up to my door the light in the lamp was burning. I had not been in the house more than five minutes when the officer came to the door and drew my attention to the light being out.— Constable JOULE said he watched the vehicle for ten minutes, and there was no light.— Fined 9s 6d.

SMASHING WINDOWS.— Margaret Ann ROWAN was summoned for breaking windows, value 6s on the 7th. Defendant did not appear.— Margaret BUTLER said she lived in Back Pitt-street. On Saturday night she went to the Market, and on her return the defendant got the poker and smashed all the windows and the frames in the house. She said she would do it again.— The Chief Constable said the defendant had been up 25 times.— The Clerk: That is all?— (Laughter.) — Complainant said defendant also threatened her life.— The bench ordered Margaret Ann to pay the damages, 6s, and fined her 20s and costs, or one month.

KING'S MISFORTUNE.— Benjamin KING was summoned for being drunk and disorderly in Welbeck-street on the 6th instant. He pleaded not guilty.— Constable DISTON stated that at 10.15 on the night in question, he was in Welbeck-street and found defendant drunk and committing a nuisance.— Defendant said he had been up three nights and three days, and his horse died the same morning. A child also died, and he had a little girl in the Infirmary.— The bench said they were informed the defendant had some trouble, and he would only have to pay the costs.

WIFE DESERTION AFTER FIVE MONTHS.— A young woman named Jane WRIGLEY summoned her husband, John WRIGLEY, for deserting her.— The Clerk: How long have you been married?— Complainant: On the 29th July.— What year? "this year, 1901.— What does he do? He is a collier.— When did he leave you? A week last Wednesday. And what for? His mother said she could not see why he should not come home and allow me so much a week.— Where does he work? At the Snipe Pit.— What do you do? I was a servant.— What does he earn? Between 4s and 5s a day.— The bench made an order of maintenance of 7s per week.

HAWKING CELERY WITHOUT LICENSE.— Thomas BROWNRIDGE and Samuel BROWNRIDGE were summoned for unlawfully hawking celery without license on Sunday, the 8th.— Thomas pleaded guilty, and Samuel was represented by his father who pleaded not guilty.— Constable TUMELTY said that at 10.30am he saw defendants hawking celery in Margaret-street. Thomas was selling and Samuel was shouting.— Defendant said they were both coming off the Moss, and his brother said "how does tha shout?" A woman came to a door and bought a celery stick from them. He had no license.— The Clerk: What were you intending to do with the celery?— Thomas: We were going to take it to Hyde and sell it to order.— The father said Samuel never hawked. He worked at Adamson's, and never hawked in his life.— The bench decided to dismiss the charge against Samuel and fined Thomas 2s 6d and costs.

A DISHONEST BOY.— Herbert, aged 16, a little piecer, was charged with stealing half a sovereign, under the following circumstances…— Thomas EDWARDS, 238 Whiteacre-road, said he was an overlooker for John KNOTT and Sons Limited. It was his duty to collect money every Friday for a club there and he was in the habit of putting the money in his desk in the storeroom. When he left the store he locked the door. On the 13th December, after collecting the money, he put it in a bag and placed it in a box in the storeroom. He placed a saucer containing 7 in gold and silver, and each coin was marked, in a desk in the storeroom, in consequence of having missed money before. The half sovereign produced was one of the marked coins he put there. About two o'clock on Friday afternoon he left the storeroom, and was away about an hour. He had locked the door and Constable HEIGHWAY was in the storeroom behind a partition. When he returned he found that HEIGHWAY had got the prisoner and the half sovereign. Witness heard prisoner say he had never seen it before.— Constable HEIGHWAY said the lock was picked with a small knife blade.— The Chief Constable said 26s 6d had been taken at different times besides the half sovereign.— Witness said the prisoner brought money to him from his minder, and would know where the money was.— Mrs YATES said she never knew a better boy, and she was ashamed of him. He had nearly killed her.— The Chairman told the prisoner he had evidently had a good home training. The court did not like to make a legal thief of him, and they would deal with him under the first Offenders' Act.— Mrs YATES hoped Mr EDWARDS would watch someone else at the mill.— Prisoner was discharged upon recognisances to be of good behaviour for three months.

THEFT OF SHOVEL AND BOOTS: WARNING TO PAWNBROKERS.— A lad named John GIBBONS (13) was charged with stealing a shovel belonging to John WILSON, Stamford-street, and a pair of boots, the property of John KIRKHAM, boot and shoe dealer, Market Avenue.— John BROUGHAM said he was warehouseman for John WILSON, ironmonger. The shovel produced was his property. He saw it safe on Tuesday, the 10th, outside the door. It was worth 2s 6d.— Fanny LISTER, wife of Walter LISTER, 129 Old-street, said that about 6.30pm on Tuesday the shovel was brought into the shop by the prisoner. She told him they did not take tools in, and he left.— In reply to the Chairman, Sergeant TOLSON said the shovel was found concealed in a passage behind the shop of Mr John WILSON, tailor and outfitter.— Herbert HEATON said he was assistant to Mr John KIRKHAM, boot and show dealer, Market Avenue. He saw the pair of boots produced safe on Saturday, and missed them on the following Tuesday. They were worth 2s.— Abel WILLIAMSON said he was manager for his father, Abel WILLIAMSON, pawnbroker, 61 Cavendish-street. On Monday last, the pair of boots produced were pledged with him by the prisoner. He lent him 6d upon them.— Mr PARK: Are these new boots?— Witness: Yes.— Didn't it occur to you it was wrong to lend 6d upon them? I did not care whether I took them or not, because we were shutting up at the time. If he had not been a regular customer I should not have taken them in.—They are perfectly new. I am sure the Bench don't like a transaction of this kind. It does strike us as, well, very inviting. I hope you will not do it again.— Witness: I hope you are not reprimanding me for taking them in.

Smart Capture by Sergeant Tolson

At the Ashton Borough Police Court on Monday, James DOLAN, Thomas DOLAN, who wore the uniform of the Lancashire Fusiliers, and Robert Henry LAMB, young men, were in the dock charged on remand with breaking and entering the shop of John Williamson STOCKDALE, Wellington-road, under the following circumstances:—

John Williamson STOCKDALE said he was a tobacconist and hairdresser at 67 Wellington-road, Ashton. About 11.30pm on Saturday the 7th instant he locked the shop up safe. On the following Sunday morning, in consequence of a communication, he came down to the shop. He found that the front bedroom window had been opened, and also the door leading from the back kitchen into the shop had been forced open. The seventeen pipes, four razors, pair of slippers, eight packets of tobacco, quantity of twist, three match boxes, and coat, vest, and cap and other articles produced were his property. All the articles were safe in the shop on the Saturday night when he locked it up.

Mary DOLAN said she was the wife of James DOLAN, and lived at 25 Pitt-street. About 11.30 on Saturday, the 7th inst, her husband went to bed. Shortly afterwards the prisoner, Thos DOLAN, came in and went up to bed. About 10.20 next morning Sergeant TOLSON came to the house and called her downstairs. She came down and saw the tobacco produced on the table. It was afterwards parcelled up and taken away by Sergeant TOLSON, who also arrested her son Thomas. Shortly afterwards the prisoners, James DOLAN and LAMB, came to her back door. She asked them the meaning of all this. LAMB said "Thomas is innocent, he knows nothing about it, it is Jim (meaning James DOLAN) and me." She could not say whether LAMB was wearing a cap or not.

James BARDSLEY said he was a greengrocer, and carried on business next door to Mr STOCKDALE. About a quarter past twelve on Sunday morning, the 8th, the prisoner, James DOLAN, came to the side door of his house in Pitt-street, and asked for a pennyworth of haddock. The prisoner LAMB was with him, and witness heard him call out "the police are coming." They got the fish, and both prisoners went away. Witness went to bed shortly afterwards. At a quarter past two he heard a noise at STOCKDALE's as though the police were trying the doors. On the following morning he got up about eight o'clock, and on going into the back he found the gates open, and STOCKDALE's kitchen door open. He came to the front and saw the chamber window wide open. He then communicated with the police.

Emma McINTYRE said she was the wife of Patrick McINTYRE, and lived at Wight's Yard, off Pitt-street, near DOLAN's back door. About 10.30 on Sunday morning, the prisoners, James DOLAN and LAMB, came into her house. Neither of them were wearing coat, vest, or hat. She asked them what was to do. LAMB said the detectives were after them. They remained a few minutes and then went away.

Sergeant TOLSON said at 20 minutes past 10 o'clock on Sunday morning he received information that Mr STOCKDALE's shop had been broken open. He went to the place, and on examining the premises he found that two strong hooks had been forced off the door leading from the kitchen into the shop. All the goods in the shop were in a state of disorder. He then went upstairs and found the front bedroom door wide open. There was a good printmark of a pair of cord trousers on the window sill. He then went to DOLAN's house. Upon opening the cupboard door he found the box produced, containing Woodbine cigarettes. In the drawers underneath he found the twist tobacco and all the articles produced, except the coat, vest, and cap.

He then went upstairs, and found the prisoner, Thomas DOLAN, in bed. In the pocket of his tunic which was on the bed he found two packets containing Woodbines, and under the pillow the silver-plated matchbox produced. Whilst in the house he found the cap produced.— (At this point Mrs DOLAN persisted in interrupting, and telling the sergeant to tell the truth. She was ultimately put out of court.) By this time Mr and Mrs DOLAN had come downstairs, and he put the tobacco, pipes, and other things on the table. He asked what account they chose to give of them. They replied they knew nothing about them.

Witness then brought Thomas DOLAN to the Town Hall, and later on in the day he arrested James DOLAN and LAMB in a house in Jarrard-street, off Victoria-street, at the other end of town from where they reside. LAMB was wearing cord trousers at the time. He brought them to the police office and searched them. On the prisoner LAMB he found a packet of Woodbines and fivepence in copper. On the prisoner James DOLAN also a packet of cigarettes. The prisoners were now charged in the usual manner. Thomas DOLAN pleaded not guilty. James DOLAN and LAMB pleaded guilty, and said Thomas had nothing to do with it.— The Bench committed prisoners to the sessions for trial.

The death took place at 8.20 on Saturday night at the Ashton District Infirmary of Emily WRIGHT, aged five years, daughter of William WRIGHT, labourer, of 8 Winton-street, Ashton, from the effects of burns received on the previous day. The father of the deceased left home at 5.30 on Friday morning to go to his work, leaving the house in charge of his daughter, Mary Ann WRIGHT, aged 14, who was his housekeeper. About 11 o'clock in the morning the daughter went out of the house, leaving the deceased asleep in bed. She returned in about half an hour and found her sister in the house with her clothes on fire. She at once pulled the clothes off, and a neighbour name Mrs HALL came in and wrapped deceased in her skirt and shawl, and she was carried to Mrs HALL's, where linseed oil and lime water were applied to the burns. Deceased was badly burned about the chest. Dr TWOMEY was sent for, and on his arrival he examined deceased, and ordered her removal to the Infirmary, where she died as aforestated.

A "Heartless and Callous Case"

At the county police court, held at Hyde on Monday, John MURPHY, of Dunkerley's Court, Dukinfield, labourer, was summoned for wilfully neglecting and abandoning certain children, to wit, George, John, and Emily MURPHY, all under 16 years of age. Mr A LEES prosecuted on behalf of the NSPCC.

Mr LEES stated that prisoner was married to his present wife ten years ago, and there had been ten children. Six of the children were living and four of them were residing with prisoner's wife. Up to the middle of June last prisoner was working at Messrs Sumner's Ironworks as a puddler. On the 24th July he left home, and the wife did not hear anything of him until he was brought before the magistrates at Dukinfield on the 5th September. Before he left her he had not given her any money to keep the house going for eight weeks, and a month of that time he had not done any work at all. Prisoner had often left his wife, and the last time he left her was the third occasion during the last twelve months.

He was drunk every week end and many times during the week. When he was not working the only income the wife got was from the girl, Hannah, who earned 7s 6d per week. 2s 6d of which was paid in rent. The mother and children had been short of food. The inspector reported the matter to the head office at London and prisoner was brought before the Bench on September 5th at Dukinfield. The case was gone into by the magistrates, but on prisoner promising to get work and to reform they decided it would be preferable to dismiss the case on that premise rather than send him to prison.

The inspector supervised the case for a month, during which time prisoner was often drunk and only gave his wife one 7s 6d. On the 20th September prisoner went home drunk about two o'clock in the afternoon, and half an hour afterwards, he went away, and from that time up to his appearing in court that morning the wife had neither seen nor heard anything of him. The daughter, Hannah, had been taken seriously ill, in consequence of which the wife's income was entirely stopped, and she had to apply for parish relief. It was difficult, Mr LEES continued, to imagine more a heartless and callous case than the present one. Prisoner had a legal, as well as a moral duty to perform, but he had performed neither. It was a case for severe condemnation, and he hoped the bench would deal with it as it deserved.

The magistrates committed prisoner to gaol for one month with hard labour, the chairman remarking that he seemed to be a "bad lot."

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.