1 March 1902

Performance of Crocker's Horses Interrupted
About 8.30 on Saturday night, the attention of Segeant McFEELEY was directed to a fire which had broken out at the Skating Rink, Henry-square, Ashton, during the performance of Proefessor H K CROCKER's educated horses. It appears that someone in the audience had been smoking and inadvertently thrown a lighted match behind a stone bath at the rear of the audience, setting fire to some matting lying below the level of the false flooring. The attendant, Mr Albert DUNKS, rushed to the fire apparatus, and by means of a hose pipe and a copious supply of water the fire was got out. The emergency doors were opened, but the audience remained calm and did not leave their seats. The performance, temporarily stopped, was afterwards proceeded with.

Charles RILEY appeared before the Ashton county justices on Wednesday with his nose plastered up, and in answer to a charge of being drunk and disorderly at Hurst on February 8th pleaded guilty.– The Magistrates' Clerk: Is the result of drink? Yes; I got it cut with a bottle.– Fined 5s 6d for costs.

A SNOWBALLER FINED.– A charge of throwing snowballs at Hurst on February 9th was preferred against Percy BURTON at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday. Defendant pleaded not guilty.– A constable deposed that on the Saturday night in question he saw the defendant in company with about a dozen others throwing snowballs in Queen-street. He caught defendant whilst in the act of throwing.– Fined 6s for costs.NEGLECTING TO ATTEND SCHOOL. At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, James BRADBURY, of Hazlehurst, was summoned under the Education Act for not sending his two children, Harold and Hebert, to school.– Defendant's wife appeared and said that illness had prevented the children from attending school.– Mr William HUGHES (school attendance officer) stated that the child Herbert had only put in 112 out of a possible 210 attendances during the past six months, and Harold had not attended school for the last 12 weeks.– The bench made an order for Harold to attend St John's School, Hurst, and imposed a fine of 7s 6d in the case of the other child.

The quarterly meeting of the above society took place at the Railway Hotel, Droylsden, on Saturday. After the usual business had been transacted, the member sat down to supper, provided by Mr and Mrs HOWARD, to which ample justice was done. When the cloths had been removed, the president, Mr J WATSON, occupied the chair, and a programme of songs &c was gone through.

The member also took the opportunity of making their late secretary, Mr Joseph HILTON, a present, consisting of a black ebony walking stick and a silver mounted pipe. In making the presentation, the chairman referred to the long and honourably service rendered by Mt HILTON, and to the good feeling that had always existed between him and the members. Mr G HIBBERT also made a few appropriate remarks.

In accepting the presents, Mr HILTON said he was quite taken by surprise, he never expected it, but he thanked them heartily. He had always done his best for the society, and he hoped to see it go on and prosper. After a few songs &c, had been given, a vote of thanks to the chairman brought the meeting to a close, all having spent a very pleasant evening.

Romance of the Brickkiln

A middle-aged man named Charles ALLEN was in the dock at the Ashton County Police Court on Monday, charged with sleeping out at Audenshaw on Sunday morning.– Constable CAMERON stated that at 4.30 on Sunday morning he found the prisoner asleep in a brickkiln belonging to Mr George BARLOW at Audenshaw.– Prisoner pleaded guilty, and in answer to the magistrate (Mr F REYNER) said he was a weaver by trade, but it was three years since he worked at that occupation.

He went about getting coal in, and filling bags of coal. On Saturday he left a shilling with the Mrs of the Blue Bell, but was unable to get it on account of arriving there after closing time. He had only 2d in his pocket and went to the Model Lodging-house where he had been staying. The beds were all occupied. He walked about the streets, and on asking a policeman what he must do, he told him to walk about. He did so until he was tired and done up, and on getting near the brick-kiln he thought he would have a lie down and warm himself. It was about half past three.

Superintendent HEWITT said that the prisoner had seven previous convictions recorded against him, six for sleeping out. For a time he had kept teetotal, but broke out again.– Prisoner was sentenced to seven days' imprisonment.

On Friday evening last the employees of the Waterworks Department (including the manager, Mr J A WILD), assembled at the Colliers' Arms, Hurst Brook, to welcome home from South Africa, after being absent for about two years, one of their old workmates, Mr John WARBURTON, and right royally was he received by all his old pals, to his evident delight.

The evening's programme commenced with a substantial supper, to which ample justice was done. The company afterwards adjourned to the smokeroom, where, under the able chairmanship of Mr Frank WILD, mirth and music reigned supreme, and a good programme was gone through. The following contributed to the night's entertainment:.– Messrs George WEBSTER, W ROBINSON, R OULTON, John WARBURTON, W BRITTON, A GARTSIDE, and the popular Hurst baritone, Ted MOSS. Mr Harry HAYES ably accompanying on the piano.

Before parting, the company wished Mr WARBURTON a very hearty welcome home, and were glad to see him amongst them again, and hoped the war would soon come to an end. Votes of thanks were accorded to the host and hostess for the able manner in which the supper was provided, and to the chairman for presiding. A very pleasant evening was brought to a close by the singing of 'Auld Lang Syne' and the National Anthem.

A Hot Time at Waterloo

A heavily-built man, brusque demeanour, and a look of determination on his face, named Harry CROOPER, was before the Ashton county justices on Wednesday on three separate charges of assaulting Sergeant DOVE and Constable BARBER and drunk and disorderly, all at Waterloo on February 9th. Defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge of assault, and guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

Constable BARBER stated that about 3.15 on Sunday afternoon, the 9th instant, he saw the defendant, along with a lot more, standing on the footpath snowballing people on the other side of the road and on the tramcars. Witness requested them to go away, and they all did so, excepting the defendant and another man, both of whom refused to go. The other man commenced to snowball witness, whereupon he went to get his name and address, which he refused to give at first.

Defendant pulled off his coat and hat, and tried to assault witness, who asked him for his name and address, which he refused to give. He then attacked the constable, throwing him to the ground and kicking him about the legs. He blew his whistle for assistance and asked some bystanders to help him, but none of them would do so. Sergeant DOVE and Constable NEWTON came to his assistance, and they secured defendant, who continued kicking all the way to the police station. He butted Sergeant DOVE in the stomach and kicked him about the legs. He was in a drunken state, and on reaching Waterloo Police Station, he was locked up.

Defendant said he was sorry if it had occurred. Superintendent HEWITT said there were 13 previous convictions recorded against the defendant, assaulting the police, &c. The magistrates sentenced defendant to seven days' imprisonment in each of the assault cases, and imposed a fine of 5s 6d and costs or 14 days' imprisonment for being drunk and disorderly. Defendant passed into the dock.

John HAMPSON, who was in company with CROOPER, was charged with obstructing by standing on the footpath at the same time and place. He pleaded not guilty.

Constable BARBER stated that about 3 o'clock on the Sunday afternoon in question he saw defendant standing with a crowd of others on the footpath near the Dog and Partridge, Oldham Road, Waterloo, snowballing people who were passing. Defendant refused to go away when requested, and then began to snowball witness. He also gave a wrong address. Constable KNOWLES deposed to seeing defendant throwing snowballs at Constable BARBER, and he went to the latter's assistance.

Mr J JOHNSTONE said he heard a noise, and on going to the door he saw a crowd round one of the constables, and a man with his coat off in a fighting attitude. Defendant admitted to a lot of men snowballing each other on a piece of spare ground. The Bench imposed a fine of 5s.

Charles Frederick BAILEY and William LUMLEY were in custody at the Ashton Borough Police Court on Thursday, charged with stealing 2s, the monies of James ALSOPP, Nelson Tavern, Wellington-road, Ashton, on February 26th.– The Chief Constable (Mr J SMALL) said that prisoner BAILEY was seen at the till of the public house and LUMLEY was covering for him by closing the door leading into the bar and placing his back against it. He should offer sufficient evidence and ask for a remand until next Thursday. BAILEY was a stranger from Manchester, but the other man belonged to Ashton.– Mary ALSOPP, wife of James ALSOPP, landlord of the Nelson Tavern, deposed to going into the taproom on Wednesday and seeing LUMLEY holding the door whilst BAILEY was taking money from the till.– The magistrates granted the remand.
At the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, Harry MRDS, hawker of greengroceries, of Audenshaw, was charged with cruelty to a horse by working it in an unfit state at Droylsden on February 10th. Constable CAMERON stated that at 12 o'clock noon on the date in question he saw the defendant driving a pony and spring cart in Manchester-road, Droylsden. The pony was suffering from a wound about the size of a shilling underneath the collar, and also two other wounds, both of which were covered with blood. The animal was in poor condition, and was evidently in pain.

Inspector POCOCK (RSPCA) said it was a very old horse, and completely worn out. Wherever the harness touched if chafed it.– Defendant pleaded guilty, and said he had had the horse shot. He had lost his living through it.– The magistrates imposed a fine of 7s for costs.

John RUSHTON was also charged with cruelty to a horse by working it in an unfit state at Audenshaw on February 12th.– Defendant pleaded not guilty.– Inspector POCOCK deposed to seeing defendant in Audenshaw-road in charge of a pony and cart laden with empty boxes. The pony was going excessively lame on the rear hind leg, due to a wound. It was wasting away in the hind quarters and was totally unfit for work.

Defendant: That does not say it is lame because it is a bit thin at the back? That is the effect of lameness. It could not stand on the affected limb. Defendant said that the horse fell, and the load of boxes fell on top of it. He had had the pony 18 months and it had always run stiff.– George CLARKE, Lumb-lane, said he had often seen the horse, but had never known it to be deficient in any way.– Defendant was fined 2s 6d for costs.

A pretty wedding took place at St Stephen's Church, Audenshaw, on Thursday, the contracting parties being Miss Annie WHARMBY, Hanging Gate Inn, Audenshaw, and Mr Fred COLLINS, of Ashton. The event created quite a stir in the neighbourhood the parties being very well-known and respected by a wide circle of friends, a large number of whom were present at the ceremony. The nuptials were performed by Rev Mr SIDGREAVES.

The bride was given away by her father. She was attired in a costume of grey cloth trimmed with white brocade silk and Irish lace with toque to match. The bridesmaids, who were prettily attired in white dresses and carried shower bouquets, the gift of the bridegroom, were Misses Lizzie WHARMBY (sister), Carrie HARDEN (cousin), Annie and Alice COLLINS (sisters of the bridegroom). Mr M CONNICK was the bridegroom's best man. After the ceremony the happy couple, together with numerous guests, spent a very pleasant hour at the Hanging Gate where the wedding breakfast was served. Mr and Mrs COLLINS afterwards left for Blackpool.

List of Presents
Bridegroom to bride, bouquet
Father of bride, cheque
Mother of bride, bedroom suite in walnut and household requisites
Mother and father of bridegroom, blankets, rug and ornaments
Sister of bride, toilet service, copper kettle and wringing machine
Mrs WARREN (aunt), eiderdown quilt
Mrs FARROW (aunt), American lace centre piece
Mr and Mrs WHARMBY (aunt and uncle), dressing case
Mr C COLLINS, pincushions
Mr A COLLINS, mantel border
Mrs BOOTHROYD, white quilt
Miss BOOTHROYD, bamboo flower stand
Miss S BOOTHROYD, covers
Mr W BOOTHROYD, dresser spoons
Mr and Mrs HASSON, sideboard cover
Miss HARDEN, American rocking chair
Messrs Sydney and Ernest HARDEN, silver cruet
Mr Harold HARDEN, silver pepper duster
Messrs SPENCER and HUNTER, dinner service
Mr CONNICK, tea service
Mr SLATER, three copper plant pots
Misses DAVIES and ANTROBUS, flower stand
Mrs STOPFORD, flower stand
Miss MASON, photo frames
Mrs MASON, silver tea spoons
Miss LEECH, toiler covers
Miss SHAKESPEARE, covers
Mrs RHODES, white tablecloth
Miss PAWLEY, butter cooler, sugar basin and cream jug
Miss Dora PAWLEY, mats
Misses WALTON, glass dish and crumb tray and brush

John SHERRY was fined 2s 6d and costs for being drunk and disorderly at Audenshaw on February 10th, to which he pleaded guilty.

FINED FOR SNOWBALLING.– For throwing snowballs on February 9th, at Audenshaw, to which he pleaded guilty, at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, Frank JOHNSON was fined 5s.

NO LIGHT ON VEHICLE.– At the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, William WINTER was fined 1s and costs for having no light on his donkey cart at Audenshaw.– Joseph COX was fined 6s for being at such a distance from his horse and cart that he had no control of same.

THE WOMAN AND HER GROCERY BILL.– In answer to a charge of committing a breach of the peace at Audenshaw on February 8th, Mary Jane BENSON tolf the Ashton county justices on Wednesday that she was not guilty. She was only shouting and not making any noise. She simply went for a bit of grocery and there was a dispute in the reckoning up of the bill, but it was her fault at the finish.– A constable said that defendant was shouting and making use of bad language in Guide-lane.– Defendant: Oh, how can you stand there and say that? I had just begun to shout. I think I have a right to speak when they put 1 5s on my bill instead of 1s 5d.– (Laughter.) .– Defendant was bound over in 40s to keep the peace for three months.

STEALING A MOUTH ORGAN AND OPERA GLASSES.– At the Ashton County Police Court, Harrier GRIFFIN was charged with stealing a mouth organ and a pair of opera glasses at Audenshaw. Arthur DAVIES, furrier, Pitt-street, Audenshaw, said the articles produced were his property and he last saw them safe about a month ago in one of the rooms of his works. They were worth about 4s. Defendant was at that time an employee in the works.– Harry WAINWRIGHT, Egerton-street, Denton, said defendant had been lodging at his house up to about a fortnight ago. She showed him the opera glasses and said she had found them. She said would take a dying oath that she had got them honestly.– Defendant said that the mouth organ was given to her by a man with whom she had been keeping company. With regard to the opera glasses, she found them amongst some straw at complainant's works.– Defendant was bound over in her own recognisance to be of good behaviour for the next six months.

At the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, Allen BEAUMONT was charged with selling bread otherwise than by weight at Audenshaw on February 5th.– Mr H T S CLAYTON (solicitor, Ashton), who appeared for the defendant, raised a technical defence upon the summons.

His client was charged under the Weights and Measures Act, 1878. The offence was comprehended in the Bread Act of 1835, and as far as he could find out, it had nothing to do with the Act of 1878. He submitted that they had no right to cause a conviction. The magistrates' clerk (Mr C H BOOTH) said this point had been raised before, and it had always been decided that they could prosecute either under the Weights and Measures or the Bread Act.– The Presiding Magistrate: What we have done before we can do again.

Mr CLAYTON said the position was awkward, because under the Act of 1836 the complaint had to be laid within 48 hours.. In this case, the complaint was not laid for fully ten days after the offence was committed.– The Clerk said that the complaint could be laid within six months under the Weights and Measures Act.– Mr CLAYTON said that if the magistrates ruled against him he must plead guilty. There was no intention to defraud the public.

Constable WOOD stated that at ten past nine on the 5th of the present month he saw the defendant's daughter sell a loaf of bread without weighing it.– Mr CLAYTON admitted the facts, and said there had been no intention on the part of his clients to do anything contrary to the law. It was home-made bread, and people in the district came for the bread, knowing full well that it was not sold by weight. In future the bread would be sold by weight.– The bench imposed a fine of 5s 6d and costs.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.