5 July 1902

Melancholy Incident

An official notification from the War Office has been received during the past week of the death of Arthur BOLLAND, 22, Whittington-road, Ashton, lance-corporal in the 8th King’s Liverpool Regiment, which took place at Elandsfontein on June 19th, from enteric fever. Deceased was 27 years of age, and had completed nine years’ service in the army. He went out to South Africa at the commencement of the war, and was shut up in Ladysmith during the siege and had some very trying escapades. He took part in the historic battles of Colenso and Spion Kop, and was present at several smaller engagements.

Previous to joining the army, he worked as a collier at the Dukinfield Coal Co., and was highly esteemed by his colleagues. He was also formerly a member of the Ashton Volunteer Battalion, in which he was admired for his smart, soldierly qualities. Six of his nine years’ connection with the army have been spent on foreign service. A pathetic incident is that about the time of his death his father, Mr James BOLLAND, engineer at Messrs. W> HALL and Sons, Bentinck-street Ironworks, received a letter from him in which he said he was enjoying the best of health.

To-day (Saturday) is to be a “red-letter” day in technological matters in connection with the borough, the occasion being the opening of the new Textile School, which has been erected at a cost of about £6,000 on a site adjoining the Heginbottom Technical School. The event is to be marked by a luncheon in the Town Hall at 1 p.m., followed by a procession of members of the Town Council, Corporation officials and gentlemen of the borough, to the Textile School, which will be opened by his Worship the Mayor (Councillor J. S. POWNALL).

The new Textile School is well equipped and attractive, and its opening will doubtless give a strong stimulus to industrial teaching in the district. The new school will supplement, and not supplant the old one. There has long been need for extension in the practical side of the teaching. The classrooms in the Heginbottom school are too small to hold all the students, and classes have been held in the Town Hall, at some inconvenience to the municipal authorities. The number of students has doubled within the past six years, and last session there were 1,200 on the registers, and 900 individual students.

The instruction in spinning and weaving has been mainly theoretic hitherto, although it is true that a few spinning machines and also looms are used by the students. Next session the students of Ashton and the district will be will be able to enter one of the finest schools of spinning in this part of Lancashire. It occupies the ground floor of the new building. The spinning-room measures about 80 feet by 60 feet, and the weaving-room 40 feet by 40 feet.

A great part of the valuable machinery which fills these rooms has been given to the school by three townsmen. The equipment is up to date and complete in every way, and comprises all the processes of spinning and weaving, so that a bale of raw cotton brought into the spinning room can leave the looms as a piece of finished cloth. In the spinning department there is an elaborate series of machines, into the first of which the cotton is put, and it comes out of the last in the shape of “laps.” Without having been once touched by hand.

The aim is to give the students a thorough knowledge of all the methods of the manufacture, without limiting them to the local work and customs. On the first floor there are six good classrooms. The largest measures 60ft. by 40ft., and 40ft. by 29ft. One of the smaller rooms is to be used for the cookery classes, and in the others teaching in machine drawing, building construction, commercial subject, &c., will be given.

Some of our readers will be interested to hear that Mr. Arthur HOLLAND has accepted an important post with a large firm of London shippers, and will this month go out as their sole representative in China. Eventually he will be located in the district in which he laboured as a missionary for two years, and it is his intention to devote some portion of his time gratuitously in connection with the London Missionary Society. Mr. HOLLAND wrote several letters to the Reporter during his stay in China. He will take the overland route to Marseilles , and board the P. and O. s.s. China there on August 1st.

With characteristic kindness and consideration the Mayor of Ashton (Councillor J. B. POWNALL), along with Major BRADLEY and others responsible for the Coronation celebrations at Ashton, arranged a treat for the little folks in the shape of an outing to Greenfield on Saturday afternoon. Tickets for the outing were given to about 600 children, who assembled at Charlestown station in time for the special train leaving at five minutes to one in the afternoon.

Over and above the number stated, about 50 or 60 little mites who had not received tickets attended at the station, and they had such longing eyes and beseeching looks, and seemed so much to want a day in the country, that just before the train started the men bundled them into the carriages along with the rest, to their intense delight, so that not a single one was left on the platform.

At Greenfield tea was provided in a field near St. Mary’s School, kindly placed at their disposal by the Rev. E. POWELL. A number of ladies assisted at tea, and the Mayor and Mayoress, along with Councillor and Mrs BARLOW, Mr. And Mrs. S. NEWTON, Mrs. POLLITT, Mrs. J. W. POLLITT and others drove to Greenfield, and applied themselves to the work of entertaining the juveniles. Each of them were given a packets of sweets by the Mayoress, and when all had enjoyed themselves to their hearts content they were drawn up in procession, and marched to the station in time for the 8.12 p.m. train.

On arrival at Ashton, they marched to the Town Hall, and assembled on the steps in order to sing “God save the King,” which they did very effectively, after making one or two unsuccessful attempts. Major BRADLEY called for three cheers for the Mayor and Mayoress, and Major BRADLEY. On the departure of the children for their homes, the ladies and gentlemen who had so kindly assisted to make the outing a success were invited into the Mayor’s parlour, and the Mayor formally thanked them on behalf of the Coronation Committee for their services.

Sir,– I was very pleased to read Mr. HOUGH’s letter in your last issue in reference to the effect that the smoke emitted from our factory and workshop chimneys has on the vegetation. I would also like to call the attention of our local governing power to the effect it must have on the children we are compelled to rear and bring up in this putrid atmosphere, and also to suggest to them that the best celebration they could possibly give us in this the Coronation year would be to insist that this nuisance be abated, so at least a portion of his Majesty’s subjects may have air to breathe as near as possible to what God intended for us, and have vegetation in our midst similar to what our more favoured neighbours have who are able to live in country districts. Hoping this matter will not be allowed to drop and that some abler pen will take this matter up.– Yours truly,
W. BEAUMONT, Ashton.

A coal dealer, named David KERSHAW, was before the Ashton County justices on Wednesday charged with having sacks of coal on his vehicle, short weight, also with not having metal labels on the sacks.– Inspector CLARKE said that on June 13th he met defendant’s lurry in Waterloo laden with sacks of coal. He stopped him and told him he wanted to weigh the sacks. He weighed 11 sacks and they varied from 10lbs. down to 1_lbs. short weight. The total deficiency in 11 sacks was 37_lbs. Six of the sacks were without labels.– Defendant pleaded guilty, and said the sacks were old. He paid a man to load the lurry and did not weigh the sacks himself.– The bench imposed a fine of 1s. and costs.
Advance in Shaving

The members of the Ashton, Stalybridge, and District Hairdressers’ Union having unanimously decided to advance the price of shaving from 1d. to 1_d., this resolution came into operation on Tuesday last. There have naturally been some murmurings amongst certain customers that the advance is inopportune in consequence of the bad state of trade, &c., but these will no doubt gradually fall into line.
Richard REMINGTON was before the Ashton County Justices on Wednesday, charged with committing a breach of the peace at Waterloo on June 16th. Defendant pleaded not guilty.– A constable deposed to having to put defendant in the house on account of his creating a disturbance. He came out of the house again and wanted to fight.– Defendant said he was only having a few words with his wife. The magistrates bound defendant over to keep the peace for three months.
A sad accident, which unfortunately resulted fatally, occurred on the West End Playground, Ashton, on Thursday night. A boy named James DALE, aged 11 years, living at 36, John-street, Ashton, went along with a companion to the playground and commenced swinging. Whilst doing so DALE fell from the swing and alighted on his head on the ground. He was lifted up in a dazed condition and taken to his home, where it was noticed that there was a bruise on the side of his head. He was taken to bed and Dr SMITH sent for. The following morning the boy was seen to be in a precarious condition and suffering much pain; and Dr SMITH was sent for. Death took place at 10.20 p.m.
Pensioner’s Sad End

Some consternation was created in Bardsley on Wednesday morning by the sudden death of Lawrence KENNEDY, 5, Albert-street, labourer at Parkbridge Ironworks. Deceased was 62 years of age, and was an army pensioner. He terminated work on the Wednesday previously for the Coronation holidays, and should have been back at his post on Monday morning. On Tuesday he went and drew his pension, which, we understand, amounted to about £6.

He failed to put in an appearance at his work, and appears to have been drinking heavily, and spending the pension money extravagantly. On Wednesday morning he asked a neighbour named Mrs. PHILLIPS to cook him some dinner, and she prepared a dish of stewed kidneys, of which he partook heartily about 11.30. He showed great relish for the meal, and thanked Mrs. PHILLIPS afterwards lying down on the couch. He had not been laid down many minutes when he placed his hand to his breast, and suddenly expired.

The inquest was held at the Black Diamond, Bardsley, on Thursday afternoon by Mr. J. F. PRICE, district coroner.

Mrs. KENNEDY, wife of the deceased, gave evidence and said her husband was a pensioner and belonged to the 2nd Manchester Regiment. He had had very good health, and followed his employment up to the previous Wednesday, and ought to have returned to work on Monday, but did not feel well. The reason he did not go to work was that he was to draw his pension the following Tuesday. The pension amounted to £6 1s. 9d., and witness went with him to draw it.

They afterwards went down to Ashton, and called at the Dog and Partridge, and had some beer. They went to the fish market and bought some fish, and had another glass of beer, returning home sober in the afternoon. On reaching home they sent for a pint of beer into the house and retired to bed. They both got up at five o’clock on Wednesday morning, and again went down to Ashton to look for a son. Each had a glass of beer, and returned home and went to bed. She did not remember when deceased died.

The Coroner: How is it that you cannot remember what took place? No answer.– Were you having a drink and could not remember anything about it? No answer.– Tell us the truth. Witness: That is so. I cannot tell if it was 8, 9, 10 or 11 o’clock. I went upstairs.– Why did you go to bed? I had not had much sleep all night.– Where did you leave your husband? – On the sofa downstairs as he was poorly. Had you no idea of the time? No. (Witness here fainted, and had to be carried out of the room by Sergeant DOVE and Constable NEWTON).

Bridget PHILLIPS, wife of Thomas PHILLIPS, collier, said that she first went to deceased’s house about eight o’clock on Wednesday morning. It was her custom to go to the house, as they were old friends. There was no beer at that time in the house. Witness cooked deceased’s breakfast whilst he was sitting on the sofa, the wife being in the kitchen. Neither of them were sober. Witness cooked a mutton chop and some kidneys, and deceased ate it greedily.

Mrs KENNEDY went out for a pint of beer, and after eating his breakfast witness saw deceased put his hands to his chest as if he had some pain. She had noticed his eyes appear strange for a day or two, but his health appeared good. Witness had seen him put his hands to his chest like that before. Witness went for some beer, and when this was drunk she left him at 11.30 a.m. He was then in a kneeling position, one hand being on the couch, whilst the other was on the floor.

She lifted his head and looked into his face, which was darkly coloured, and his mouth was wide open. She got him on the sofa and went upstairs to his wife, who was in bed. On returning, she placed her hand over deceased’s heart, and felt it beat once, after which he expired. Deceased was teetotal up to Coronation Day. She did not know that he had only a halfpenny in his pockets out of the pension money.

Maggie HOWARD, wife of John HOWARD, stonemason, Lees-square, Bardsley, deposed to deceased coming to her house on Wednesday morning to look for his wife who he said had taken his purse with 18s. in it. Witness went with him and accompanied him home, and afterwards left him lying on the sofa. They had only one pint of beer between them. Deceased had been drinking ever since Coronation Day, and he got up at six o’clock on the morning of his death and commenced drinking.

Constable NEWTON said that both Mrs. PHILLIPS and Mrs. KENNEDY had been drinking. The Coroner: There is no doubt about that. There was only 18s. left out of £6 1s. 9d. They must have had a good drinking bout.– Sergeant DOVE: I understand that £4 was paid to one place.– The Coroner: They must have had a good drink.– A Juryman said he had seen a lot of it going on.– The Foreman said it was an unfortunate thing, as deceased and his wife might have been very nicely off. The jury returned a verdict of death from natural causes, accelerated by excessive drinking.
Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.