7 June 1902

Peace Terms Accepted

The following dispatch was issued from the War Office at five o’clock on Sunday afternoon:–
Lord Kitchener to the Secretary of State for War, Sunday, 10.25 am
The terms of peace were signed at half-past eleven o’clock last night.

The scene at Ashton Parish Church on Sunday evening on receipt of the news of peace was one which it was a pleasure to witness. Those who happened to be present at the service, and were the spectators of the striking episode describe it as being extremely pathetic in its tenderness, and though hearts were overjoyed, there was scarcely an eye but was moistened by a tear.

The scene was indeed dramatic. A tender chord was struck when, just as the offertory was being taken, after the sermon by the Rector (Rev G A PUGH), his Worship the Mayor (Councillor J B POWNALL), entered the sacred edifice and walked along the aisle to the communal rail. There was an instinctive feeling among the members of the congregation that something unusual had happened. By a strange coincidence, the anthem for the evening service was “Give peace in our time O Lord,” and the hymn before the sermon was a hymn for peace, whilst the subject of the sermon was “Brotherly love,” and during the sermon, the Rector said he hoped before another day had passed peace would be proclaimed.

When the Mayor appeared before the communal rail there was a feeling of suppressed excitement amongst the worshippers who watched his movements with the greatest concern. Having communicated the welcome news to the rector, the latter announced at once that he had authority for saying that peace was proclaimed at five o’clock that afternoon. He asked them to sing the Te Deum, and then announced that there would a thanksgiving service at the Parish Church on Sunday morning following. The choir and congregation then joined most heartily in singing the Te Deum, and after the blessing the National Anthem was sung, Mr Charles MOODY singing the solo, whilst Mr G F WRIGLEY accompanied at the organ.

Before the congregation left, the church bells were pealing and the flag was proudly flying from the church tower. We understand that the Mayor made arrangements a few weeks ago with the ringers at the Parish Church to assemble on short notice when the news of peace was received, and owing to this arrangement the bells of St Michael’s tower rang out within a few minutes of the result being made known in Ashton. This, coupled with the hoisting of the flag, caused large crowds to collect at the Parish Church, and on the dispersal of the congregation after the evening service the news spread like wildfire that peace had been declared.

On Monday morning the Mayor sent a request to all schoolmasters in the town with his compliments and requested them to give the school children a holiday. Needless to say the request was at once complied with, the scholars becoming frantic with glee, and one policeman who conveyed the Mayor’s request was bombarded with hats and caps and other articles.

The cotton mills, workshops, and other places of business were closed, and Ashton had the appearance of a general holiday. Stamford-street and other public thoroughfares were gaily decorated with Union Jacks and bunting and flags were hoisted on the public and other buildings, and everybody seemed in “Mafficking” mood.

On Saturday evening, May 31st, a most enjoyable party was held in the Christ Church schools to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the marriage of Mr and Mrs Aaron WILLIAMSON. The guests began to arrive at 6.30, and by 7 o’clock there would be upwards of 90 persons present, consisting of relatives, friends, Sunday school teachers &c. Immediately after these had offered their congratulations to Mr and Mrs WILLIAMSON, a dance was announced, all the younger members of the company entering into this form of amusement with great zest. The pianist was Mr J GASKELL, whose task was no light one, for the ball was kept rolling until 11 o’clock, when the party dispersed.

The large schoolroom had been tastefully decorated by willing hands in connection with the Sunday school; the infant room, where refreshments were dispensed, presented a very pleasing and attractive appearance. A balloon ascent should have taken place in honour of the occasion, but unfortunately, owing to the rough wind, the balloon came to grief immediately it had cleared the playground wall.

Perhaps the most interesting feature of the presentation of a pair of chairs to the host and hostess from Messrs HARROP, furnishers. In making the presentation the Rev F H BARROWS, vicar of the parish, in well-chosen words, referred to the happy event which was being celebrated; it was an uncommon event, only a few persons being spared to spend so many happy years together. It was particularly pleasurable on this occasion because from his long connection with the day school, Sunday school, and public affairs, Mr WILLIAMSON might be said to have taught and influenced, in one way or another, the whole of those present.

His life had been a singularly conscientious and single-minded one. You always knew where to find him, and that in any duty he undertook he could be relied upon to carry it out to the best of his ability in a straightforward, determined manner. It was this characteristic which had made him such a steadying influence in the village of Waterloo. You felt that he was pre-eminently one of those not likely to be drawn aside by merely temporary outbursts of feeling and opinion. The secret of the respect in which Mr WILLIAMSON was held might be briefly described in the words of the Bible: “The hoary head is a crown of glory to God, if it be found in the way of righteousness.”

But it was impossible to think of Mr WILLIAMSON, apart from his wife. We who know them both, feel we can only unite them together, in describing the worth and influence of each. On behalf of the teachers I shall shortly ask them to accept these two handsome chairs as a small indication of the esteem and affection in which they are held, in the hope that they may enjoy, while sitting in them, the repose and comfort of the remaining years of their honourable and useful lives, adding to this the prayer in one of our hymns, “Grant to life’s day a calm, unclouded ending; an eve untouched by shadows of decay.”

Mr WILLIAMSON, in acknowledging the gifts, depreciated the eulogistic language which had been used with respect to him. If he deserved it he would indeed be a “gem” – a remark which was received with continued applause. He could not claim to be even a part of what had been described. He had lived among them for 39 years, indeed prior to the foundation of the Christ Church School. But his heart was too full to express suitably on behalf of his wife and himself the warm thanks they both felt for this most kind expression of the feelings towards them of their friends and neighbours.

On Monday a little girl named Maud NEWTON, of Oldham-road, Waterloo, was playing with other children in putting matches on the electric car metals, and in endeavouring to get out of the way of the traffic she was knocked down and run over by a trap. Her shoulder was slightly bruised, otherwise she was none the worse for her experience.

PIGEON SHOOTING. – Twenty four shares were registered in the handicap sweepstakes promoted by the landlord of the Sportsman’s Arms, Fitton Hill, Bardsley, on Saturday afternoon, and the shooting took place at the enclosed grounds attached to the inn. There was a numerous company present. The sum of 30s was given, and the entrance fee was 5s; to shoot at four birds each on the usual conditions. The birds were good ones, and being helped by a strong wind many got away, only three of the shooters, namely, WOOD, WALKER, and MOSTON, killing up, and they divided the pool. Jack SCHOFIELD was referee.

Information was received at Ashton Police Station on Wednesday of the death of Nancy Ann DABBS, aged 33 years, wife of James Edward DABBS, spinner, of 23 Holden-street, Botany, Ashton, which took place at 7.30 that morning. Deceased had been troubled with bronchitis and heart disease for the last eight years, and had been attended by Drs BLEASDALE and CORNS, the last time being by Dr BLEASDALE on January 30th last. On Wednesday morning at 5.30 her husband went to his work, leaving her sitting on a chair, as she was unable to go to bed on account of her breathing. Later in the day she became worse and suddenly expired in her chair.

A Hyde Grocer’s “Spree” and its Results

At Preston, on Monday, Mr WILSON, acting Under-Sheriff, and a jury sat to assess damages in a case remitted from the High Court, in which Ernest E REVILL, barman, Katherine-street, Ashton, sought to recover damages from Frederick ASHWORTH, grocer, Hyde, for assault and false pretences.

Plaintiff’s case, put forward by Mr WILKINSON, barrister, who was instructed by Mr J BRADBURY, solicitor, Ashton, was that on the night of January 20th, 1901, defendant called at the Brunswick Hotel, Ashton-under-Lyne, in company with three other men, whom he treated to drink. Regarding the latter as suspicious characters, and as defendant had had some drink and said he had £40 in his possession, the landlord sent him home in a cab, in company with plaintiff and another man named WALKER.

Defendant remained asleep until the cab arrived opposite Hyde Town Hall, and then, upon being awakened, he jumped outside and struck plaintiff a violent blow on the eye, and commenced shouting “Murder! Police! They are robbing me!” Plaintiff and WALKER were taken into custody and dragged to the police station, being brought before the magistrates the following morning. Defendant went into the witness box and gave evidence against them, with the result that they were remanded until the 24th, but on that occasion defendant failed to appear, and the charge against was further adjourned for a week, a writ being issued for the defendant.

Bail was allowed. The defendant’s whereabouts could not be discovered, and on 31st they were discharged. The case was fully reported in all the newspapers, (and Yesterdays!) and in consequence plaintiff had since been unable to obtain any regular employment, and he had suffered in many other ways. Mr WILKINSON asked the jury to award the plaintiff substantial damages, as there could be no justification for the defendant’s remarkable conduct.

Plaintiff gave evidence, and, cross-examined by Mr H BOSTOCK, solicitor, of Hyde, who appeared for the defendant, ASHWORTH admitted that defendant was drunk on the night in question, and that he signed a paper promising not to bring subsequent proceedings if defendant withdrew the charge in the police station. He, however, signed the paper on the understanding that defendant should withdraw the charge, apologise, pay costs, and pay him one sovereign.

Mr BOSTOCK addressed the jury on behalf of the defendant, and said that the whole affair was a drunken spree, in which plaintiff himself had participated. He asked the jury not to award excessive damages as defendant had only limited means. The jury assessed the damages at £25, and judgement was entered for this amount.

“Albion Congregational Magazine” says:– On Sunday, May 18th, there was a packed assembly at Charlestown, when the new Banner was unfurled. The Banner which is of woven silk, is one of which the School may be well proud. The cost is about £40, and this sum has been raised with great willingness – one old scholar now in Russia contributing £5.

Mr HOOPER opened the service, and gave an appropriate address on the words, “in the name of our God we will set up our banners.” He then called upon Mr Wm SABINE (Superintendent), who has been connected with the School for over 40 years, to give an address and “unfurl the Banner.” Mr SABINE outlined the history of the School, and interestingly contrasted their “first poor calico banner with the magnificent one of to-day.” A band was present to help with the singing; throughout the service was memorable. We hope earnestly the day will mark another period in the growth and efficiency of Charlestown School.

On Wednesday, at the Ashton County Police Court, Sarah REECE pleaded guilty to committing a breach of the peace at Audenshaw on May 18th, and was bound over in 40s to keep the peace for three months.

DRUNK AND DISORDERLY.– On Wednesday, at the Ashton County Police Court, Matthew WRIGHT was summoned for being drunk and disorderly at Audenshaw, and making use of bad language.– Defendant’s wife appeared and pleaded guilty, and a fine of 5s for costs was imposed.

DRUNK ON LICENSED PREMISES.– A charge of being drunk on licensed premises at Audenshaw was preferred against John HOLLINGWORTH at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday.– Defendant did not appear in person, but sent a representative, who pleaded guilty, and a fine of 10s was imposed.

DRUNK AND DISORDERLY.– Daniel THORNTON and Thos. CHARNLEY were before the Ashton county justices on Wednesday, charged with being drunk and disorderly at Audenshaw on May 18th. Defendants pleaded not guilty.– Constable SHOESMITH stated that at 20 minutes to three on the Sunday afternoon in question, he saw both defendants badly drunk and using bad language in Audenshaw-road.– Defendants admitted having had some drink, and each was fined 5s for costs.

HE TOOK A SHORT CUT.– A youth, named Stephen HUBBARD, was summoned by James HIGGINBOTTOM at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday for 1s damage to a pasture field by trespass on May 21st.– Defendant admitted trespassing, and said he did so in order to take a short cut to the mill, as he was frightened of being locked out.– The Magistrates’ Clerk: The short cut will cost you more than if you had been locked out.– Mr HIGGINBOTTOM said it was a question of keeping out of his field and to stop them from making a road across, that he had entered the prosecution.– Defendant was fined 5s for costs.

A Painful Case

At the Ashton Borough Police Court, on Monday, two girls attired in straw hats and blouses, named Elizabeth JACKSON and Rose Ann SMITH, aged 16, were in the dock charged (1) with stealing one shawl and one skirt, the property of Mary Ellen WILD, on the 28th May; (2) one suit of clothes, the property of William Thos CHADWICK, on the 27th May; and (3) stealing one pair of boots, the property of the Cash Boot Company. The following evidence was given:

George Albert RICH said: I am the manager for Mr Thos CHADWICK, pawnbroker, 4 George-street, Ashton. The boy’s suit of clothes are his property. I saw them safe at six o’clock on the 27th ult, and missed them half an hour afterwards. They were worth 10s 11d.– Mary Ellen WILD, pawnbroker, Katherine-street, said: The prisoners placed the suit of clothes in pledge with me on the 28th ult. I had previously been notified that a suit of clothes had been stolen. Soon after the prisoners had left I missed the shawl and skirt worth 4s 11d.– John HARE said he was manager to the Cash Boot Company. The boots produced were the property of his employers and were worth 3s 11d. He did not miss them until the police returned them.

Constable FERNLEY said he received the prisoners into custody at 1.50 on the 28th. He brought them to the Town Hall and there charged them with stealing the boots, shawl and skirt. To each offence they replied, “No, sir.” – The prisoners were charged in the usual manner, and pleaded not guilty to stealing the articles. They said a woman gave them the goods to pledge.

The Clerk informed the bench that these same two girls were before the court on the 12th May, charged with stealing a skirt, the property of Maria TURNER, and they each pleaded guilty. On that occasion the magistrates could also have convicted them of stealing a pair of boots, the property of Messrs STEAD and SIMPSON, the same class of offences made against them that morning. They were also charged with stealing two blouses and they pleaded guilty. But the magistrates’ view that the prisoners were there for the first time, although there were many other cases against them, bound them over to be of good behaviour for six months to come up for judgement if called upon. It was not one month ago, and here they were there again, with the previous judgement hanging over them.

Mrs SMITH said on the last occasion she took her home, but she ran away from home with the other girl. JACKSON had no proper home.– The Clerk: Don’t you think some want of attention from you has caused your girl to get into trouble? – Mrs SMITH said she had never set her a bad example.– The Clerk thought if more attention were paid at home to these children, and sometimes a little more punishment administered, there would be fewer of these cases before the court.

In reply to the Bench, JACKSON said she came from Stockport.– Mr PARK asked Mrs FIELDING, the court missionary, if she knew anything of the girls. She replied in the negative as they came from Stockport.– Mrs SMITH said JACKSON was homeless, and she could not keep her away from her house.– Mr PARK said they were drifting into crime, and probably upon the streets, if something were not done for them.– SMITH’s aunt appealed to the Bench to give the girl another chance, and she would take her to Mossley and get her into a mill with her.

The Mayor characterised it as a very painful case, and it was aggravated by the fact that the prisoners were there a month ago. It seemed they had started a career of crime, and unless they were stopped now there was no knowing what would become of them. They did not like to send them to prison, but would give them an opportunity of mending their manners.

The police and Mrs FIELDING would look after the prisoner JACKSON, keep an eye upon her, and if she did anything wrong she would be brought up again, and probably sent to prison. The prisoner SMITH would be allowed to go with her aunt, and the case would be adjourned for six weeks. He warned them to be good girls in the meantime, and then probably they would not hear anything more of the present charge, but if they repeated their present conduct they would be brought up for judgement.

At the Borough Police Court, on Monday, Esther MIRFIELD was summoned for wasting water on the 22nd May.– Mr F W BROMLEY, Town Clerk, prosecuted on behalf of the Ashton, Stalybridge and Dukinfield Joint Waterworks Committee, instructed by Mr W H ROTHWELL, secretary, and said the defendant was summoned for wasting water by swilling her flags. She was seen by an employee of the Committee to throw four buckets of water on the flags.

He must press the case. It was a very serious matter for the Joint Committee. They were in a very awkward position. As he said last week, the condition of the reservoirs was worse to-day than it was 12 months ago. The dry season was coming on, and apparently they were going to be face to face with a water famine, and he must ask their Worships to aid the Committee in stopping this silly practice of swilling flags. They would much rather prevent this practice than bring people to court, and the irony of the whole matter was that these people generally wasted water when it was raining.– Defendant pleaded guilty.

The next case was against Mrs Mary Jane KNOWLES. She pleaded not guilty.– Alfred GARSIDE said he was a water-man in the employ of the Joint Committee. On the 22nd May he was in Henrietta-street, and saw the defendant swilling the flags in front of her house. He saw two empty buckets at the door, and the defendant went to fetch some more water and threw it from the doorstep on to the flags. He was certain it was clean water.

Defendant said she had been away from her home for three weeks, and on her return she washed the windows. She only used one bucket of water and threw the remainder on the stones under the windows, and wiped the step with it. There were two buckets used for washing the windows with a brush, but not for swilling.

Mr BROMLEY: Do you mean to say you need two buckets full for washing your windows? Yes, washing the windows, the sills, and step too. It was raining very heavily as you know on that Thursday. – Witness GARSIDE said that the defendant was scrubbing the flags with a hard brush when he first saw her. He did not see any water used for washing the windows.

After the magistrates had consulted, the Mayor said in the case of MIRFIELD she would be fined 2s 6d and costs. With regard to the second case they would give the defendant the benefit of the doubt and dismiss the case. The Bench wanted it to go forth that unless this waste of water by swilling was stopped the penalties would be very much increased. They desired to support the Waterworks Committee in preventing this wilful waste of water, and unless people would recognise the fact that there might be a water famine they would have to be seriously dealt with.

Much consternation was caused in the vicinity of the Guide Post Inn, corner of Huddersfield-road, Stalybridge, on Saturday afternoon, when it became known that a little boy named Sydney HARROP, of No 2 Nail-street, Dukinfield, had fallen into the Leeds and Huddersfield Canal, which runs close by. An alarm was raised, a crowd quickly assembled, and one of the number, J L WATERS, of Birch Grove, Ashton, jumped into the water and gallantly rescued the little fellow, who had already sunk twice.

In an exhausted state HARROP was carried into Mr Douglas SIMISTER’s Guide Post Inn, where Mrs SIMISTER promptly stripped him and wrapped him in warm blankets. Stimulants were applied, and later on the boy left for home little the worse for his immersion. Great praise is due to WATERS for his humane conduct. It transpired that, along with other boys, he had been trying to cross the lock gates when he slipped and fell into the canal.

A mysterious occurrence is reported in connection with the Stamford Park Fishing Lake. According to the statement of a boy named Wright WILDE, aged 13 years, residing at 5 Waterloo-street, Dukinfield, who was walking round the boating lake in company with his brother and sister about 1.30 on Monday afternoon, a man was seen struggling in the water and waving his hat about eight yards from the bottom end of the fishing lake, which is the deepest end.

Although the man waved his hat he did not call for any assistance, and sank once after rising to the surface. The boy Wright ran to the boathouse and obtained the assistance of Jos BOBBINGTON, boatman, employed at the lake, who went in a boat to the spot indicated, and succeeded in recovering the body, life then being extinct. The body was removed by means of the horse ambulance to the Ashton Town Hall, and was identified as Thomas KILROY, grinder in a cotton mill, aged 45, residing at 44 Caroline-street, Stalybridge.

A large congregation gathered in St Stephen’s Church, Audenshaw, on Thursday evening, when the dedication of the new organ took place. The service commenced with the hymn “All people that on earth do dwell,” which was sung with great impressiveness. Special Psalms (the 149th and 150th) were taken to suitable chants, and the sermon preached by the Rev. T. L. SALE, M.A., Rector of St Mary’s, Crumpsall, on Psalm 51, verse 15, “O Lord, open Thou our lips, and our mouths shall show forth Thy praise,” was an eloquent discourse.

The organ was built by Messrs Alex. YOUNG and Sons, Manchester.
Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.