22 February 1902

Bottled Beers for 'Uncle John'

At the Ashton Borough Court, on Monday, John Henry SHAWCROSS, licensee of the 'Wine Bar,' Old-street, was summoned for opening his premises during prohibited hours on the 12th inst.– Mr J B POWNALL defended, and pleaded not guilty.– Constable BRATT stated that at 11.17 on the night of the 12th, he was on duty in Old-street, near the Wine Bar kept by the defendant, and saw a young woman named Annie BRADY leaving the Bar with four bottles of beer in her arms. She went across the street to her house, and he followed her. The bottles produced were handed to him by her mother, who said they were the bottles which BRADY had fetched. Two of them had been emptied and two were full.

Mr POWNALL did not cross-examine the witness, but proceeded to say that he appeared on behalf of Mr SHAWCROSS, and pleaded guilty to the charge. Mr SHAWCROSS was most unfortunately at the time away from home in the South of France for the benefit of his health. Had he been at home this sort of thing would not have taken place. The manager of the Bar, Mr FOX, who had been there some years, and been most careful, did, in a moment of absolute thoughtlessness, supply this beer.

The girl, Annie BRADY, step-daughter of 'Uncle John,' who lived across the way, had received instructions from him to get some beer for him before eleven o'clock. She neglected to do so, and when it was a quarter or twenty past eleven o'clock she tripped across the street to the Wine Bar, and told the manager she wanted beer for 'Uncle John.' Forgetting for a moment that a serious offence might be committed he let her have the bottles. There was no money exchanged, and the manager would not benefit by it because it made no difference to him, as he had nothing to gain by selling the beer.

Mr SHAWCROSS had been in business 26 years, not merely in this but in other licensed houses without any complaint, and it was regrettable that this should have occurred. He hoped the Bench would accept this explanation, and take into consideration the excellent manner in which Mr SHAWCROSDS had conducted his houses, and that he was not in the house on the night in question. He thought a nominal penalty would meet the case.– The Bench imposed a fine of 10s 6d and costs.– Annie BRADY was next charged with aiding and abetting, and she pleaded guilty. Constable BRATT repeated his evidence, and added that defendant admitted that the beer was not drunk by 'Uncle John,' but by someone else.– Fined 5s 6d and costs.

A serious accident occurred at the bottom of Penny Meadow, Ashton, on Monday afternoon. A horse and cart belonging to Mr Herbert JOHNSON, coal merchant, was proceeding down Katherine-street, and when near the Tontine Inn the horse started, it is supposed at the jingling of the bells of some performing horses which were formed in procession close by. The horses bolted at full speed down Katherine-street, the driver, a man named Joseph HOBSON, who was in the cart, being unable to restrain it.

The horse was heading straight for the shop of Mr H ASKEW, tailor, and would in all probability have dashed through the window, but a pedestrian pluckily stood in its way, and threw up his arms. The horses turned aside, and the wheel of the cart caught the stone basement of a lamp close by, breaking the axle in two, and throwing the cart violently over on its side. The driver fell heavily on to the stone pavement, and sustained a severe cut on his head. He was picked up and carried into the shop of Mr ASKEW, and first aid was rendered by Constable ALFORD. After his head had been bandaged the man was able to proceed home.

At the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, Wm COATS was granted permission to sell at the Half-way House, Bardsley, in place of Ann BARNES.

THE BEGGING NUISANCE.– Jas TAYLOR was in custody at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, charged with begging at Bardsley on February 19th.– Prisoner pleaded guilty, and said he had been a farm labourer at Crewe for the last four or five years, but was at present out of work. He left his last occupation because the wage was too small, being only 2s 6d a day or 15s a week.– Prisoner was committed for seven days' hard labour.

WESLEYAN MUTUAL IMPROVEMENT SOCIETY.– The usual weekly meeting of the above society was held on Thursday night, when Mr ARMITAGE gave an excellent paper entitled 'Tennyson as Nature's Poet,' Mr J IBBOTSON occupying the chair. The essayist dealt with Tennyson's love of nature as expressed in his great poems, and concluded his paper by a few verses from several of the famous poet's most popular works. A very pleasant and interesting evening was brought to a close by a vote of thanks to the essayist, on the motion of Mr FLOWERS, seconded by Mr HOWARD.

John Wm GERMAIN, who said he was in the employ of Mr NICHOLSON, was summoned before the Ashton county justices, on Wednesday, for selling bread otherwise than by weight at Waterloo on February 15th, and also with not carrying scales.– Defendant: The bread was weighed when it was put into the van.– The Clerk: Haven't you read of similar cases in the newspapers? No.

Mr NICHOLSON, the employer, who appeared along with the defendant, admitted there were no scales in the van, but they only sold fancy bread in the van; it was not ordinary bread. Supt HEWITT: Baking it on the oven bottom alone does not bring it under the head of fancy bread at all.– The Magistrates' Clerk (holding up the bread): That is what they call a cottage loaf or 'cob.' – (Laughter.) – Defendant: I have got a pair of scales now.

A constable stated that at five o'clock on Saturday afternoon last he saw the defendant deliver four of these loaves at a dwelling-house in Ney-street, Waterloo. He had a van with him. Witness asked him why he did not weigh the bread, and he replied that it had been weighed at the shop. Asked as to the weight defendant said the loaves were called to be two pounds each. Witness purchased a loaf for 2d, and asked him to put it on the scales, and he said he had no scales. Witness weighed the loaf at a shop and found it was 2oz short.

The Chairman: One 2lb loaf I bought weighed only 1lb 8oz.– Mr NICHOLSON: It's hard lines to compete with those who only weigh 11/2 lbs. My man was not asked for a 2lb loaf.– The Magistrates' Clerk: Nobody would ever say that is fancy bread. I began thinking there would be some currants and raisins or a bit of spice on top, or something.– (Laughter.) – The Chairman: You will be fined 5s 6d and costs in each case. To my mind this short weighing of bread is downright robbery.– Mr NICHOLSON: I quite agree with you, sir. I wish every baker would weigh their bread.– The Chairman: Well, we will try and make them.

At the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, William BAKER pleaded guilty to committing a breach of the peace at Ashton on February 1st, and was bound over in 40s to keep the peace for three months.

DRUNK AND DISORDERLY.– George COSGROVE pleaded guilty, at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, to being drunk and disorderly at Audenshaw on February 1st, and was fined 5s.– John COFFEY and Joseph CLEGG were both unable to appear to answer a similar charge, and were each fined 5s.

HE MUST GO FOR THE WHEELWRIGHT.– At the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, Arthur KAY was charged with having no name on his vehicle at Audenshaw, on January 31st.– Defendant: I did not know it was against the law. I had asked the wheelwright to put the name on.– The Clerk: Then you must go for the wheelwright.– Fined 5s

NEGLECTING TO ATTEND SCHOOL.– Annie RYDER failed to appear at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, to answer a summons preferred by John Thomas EDWARDS (school attendance officer for the Audenshaw District School Attendance Committee) for neglecting to send her child Bertha to school.– The school attendance officer said the child only attended school 34 days out of a possible 116 times during the past 12 weeks. Defendant had previously been summoned before by the committee.– Fined 7s 6d.

BREACH OF THE PEACE.– At the Ashton County Police Court, on Saturday, William SMITH was charged with committing a breach of the peace at Audenshaw on January 18th.– Superintendent HEWITT said that defendant was summoned a week ago for fighting with another man who appeared at last Wednesday's police court, but the defendant failed to appear, and a warrant was ordered to be issued for his arrest, the case being adjourned. Defendant afterwards went to the police station and said he had not received the summons in time. He was told that if he appeared that morning the warrant would not be issued.– Defendant was bound over in 40s to keep the peace for three months.

PRESENTATION AT GUIDEBRIDGE.– An interesting presentation took place by the clerks, surveyors, permanent way inspectors, and canal inspectors on Friday last from the engineers' department, G.C. Railway, Guidebridge, to Mr W T WHARMBY, of Audenshaw, who is one of the clerical staff, on the event of his approaching marriage.

The form of the presentation consisted of a very handsome barometer made of very fine carved oak, and a very pretty silver egg stand.– Mr ALLEN, the district engineer, made the presentation, and begged to express the wish of all concerned as to Mr and Mrs WHARMBY's future joy and happiness, and he hoped the sorrows which undoubtedly would come some time of life would be few and the joys many.

On Sunday, Mr James NORTON, formerly a butcher carrying on business at the corner of Grosvenor-street and Walmsley-street, Stalybridge, died very suddenly. For some time past the deceased gentleman had been ailing, and had been attended by Dr CLIFFORD. Of recent years he had lived a semi-private life in Grey-street, off Mottram-road. He was very well known in the town, and amongst his fellow tradesmen was looked upon as a smart man in business. He was a member of the Stalybridge Butchers' Association, and for many years was senior drover for the Stalybridge butchers, having charge of the conveyance of cattle from Salford to Stalybridge.

A short time ago a miner was laying down a new flagstone to the kitchen hearth of his house. He had noticed with some interest on a previous occasion a bricklayer using a spirit-level, and believing it to be a necessary part of the work, he had borrowed one from a friend. As his work proceeded, declining daylight forced him to work in semi-darkness. The task finished, he placed the spirit-level on the stone to see that it was truly laid, but being unable to see the bead in the level, he took it to the door, exclaiming as he examined it, 'Yes, Sally, woman; it's just the thing to a hair breadth.'
Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (© 1999-2021) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at https://rhodesfamily.org.uk.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.