24 May 1902

Throwing a Bottled Beer at a Policeman’s Head

On Monday morning, at the Stalybridge Police Court, Oscar MILLS and Ernest MORAN, two young fellows, were charged in custody with feloniously breaking and entering the Ancient Shepherd’s Friendly Society Club, Corporation-street, and stealing therein 26 2d cigars, 30 1d cigars, eight bottles of beer, three gills of brandy, and three keys, the property of Joshua WOOTTON and others. Much interest was manifested in the case, judging from the number of members of the club who were present in court.

Acting Chief Constable BAMFORTH said that at 2.30 on Sunday morning Constable HAMER was on duty in Corporation-street, when he heard a noise which aroused his suspicions. He could not at first see anything, but obtaining the assistance of Constable HULME, they commenced to search in the vicinity of the Shepherd’s Club, adjoining the Theatre. They then found the prisoners hiding in the passage close by, and when HAMER approached, MILLS threw a bottle of beer at his head. The officers closed and arrested the men, and they were locked up. Upon being searched, a quantity of cigars and bottled beers were found in their possession.

The Bench were here consulted with the Magistrates’ Clerk, after which the chairman said they thought it would be better if the men were charged with being in unlawful possession. Mr BAMFORTH: I don’t think so; it is no credit to us that. The Magistrates’ Clerk: What is it you want? Mr BAMFORTH: Nothing, let it go on. The Clerk: What is it you want, I say? Mr BAMFORTH: Oh nothing. All I ask is for it to go on. We will go on and prove our case.

The Clerk: No jury would convict them. Mr BAMFORTH: You have not heard the evidence yet. But never mind, we will go on as it is. The Clerk: From the outline of the case they were not found on the premises, and no jury would convict for breaking and entering. They were off the premises. Someone else might have done it and given them the things. It matters little to me; it is for the magistrates to decide.

Mr BAMFORTH: Well, decide after hearing the evidence. The Chairman: We are bound by our clerk, and we will take it for being in “unlawful possession.” Prisoners were then charged, and they pleaded “guilty, all but for the brandy.”

Constable HAMER was then sworn, and he said: About 2.40am on Sunday, I was on duty in Corporation-street when I heard a noise in the direction of the theatre. Suspecting there was something wrong I made an examination, but found all secure. Police constable HULME then came on the scene, and as I was not satisfied I asked him to watch about the theatre until I fetched the keys. On returning, HULME informed me that he had heard some glass fall at the rear of the Ancient Shepherd’s Club.

We commenced to search, and HULME got over the wall and found the club had been entered by breaking the back window. Whilst HULME was examining the club, I found the two prisoners, Oscar MILLS and Ernest MORAN in the passage leading to the stage door of the theatre, and near the club. I approached them, when the prisoner MILLS drew a bottled beer from his pocket and threw it at me. I then closed with them, and called to HULME, who came to my assistance, and we conveyed them to the police office.

I charged them jointly with breaking and entering the Shepherd’s Club and stealing therefrom. MILLS replied “I know nothing about brandy; it might be whisky.” MORAN replied “All correct only brandy.” Prisoners had now nothing to say, and Mr BAMFORTH said MORAN had been indicted from Mossley, but got off at the Sessions. His “pal” got 12 months.

The Chairman: I think if we had known a little more about your characters before we decided to take this charge you would have been dealt with differently. You are evidently two very bad characters, having been convicted four or five times. We will now give you the utmost in our power – two months’ hard labour each.

Samuel SPIBY, a member of the Stalybridge Racing Cycling Club, who is an all round athlete – having played with Glossop FC, besides having won two matches at fisticuffs at Stalybridge Gymnasium – won the mile cycling event at Barnsley sports on Whit-Monday. SPIBY is one of the best riders connected with the club.

Mr Samuel HALL unveiled a tablet at Heyrod on Saturday to the memory of the late Mr Thomas SHELMERDINE, who was so beloved in the village. The tablet has been placed in the school in which Mr SHELMERDINE laboured for so many years.

MORE PUGILISM.– On Monday, at the Police Court, Samuel BRADBURY and James SHACKLETON were charged with having been disorderly in High-street on the 11th inst. They pleaded guilty to the evidence tendered by Constable PLATT and were each fined 2s 6d, and costs, or one week’s incarceration.

ANOTHER STALYBRIDGE PLAYER FOR BURY.– The Bury directors have secured the signature of Frank REED, the inside left of Stalybridge Rovers. He is a native of Bury. REED, who was formerly associated with one of the Bury Sunday School League clubs, has been two years with Stalybridge Rovers. He is of medium height, sturdy build, and only about 20 years of age.

The Late Miss KNOTT

The Rev D R JAMES preached on Sunday morning from the words of St Paul, “This one thing I do”; and at the close of his sermon said: “There has just passed from us one who in an eminent degree possessed the noble spirit breathed in these words. Miss KNOTT, of Woodfield, who was known to many of us, but whose good works are more widely known, was one of the excellent of the earth. A more devoted, disinterested, self-forgetting, beautiful spirit it has never been my privilege to know.

No heroism of which I have ever heard could exceed the bravery and tenacity with which she pursued the work of her Master. Stricken with a deadly disease, and often suffering intense agony, she still continued, without a murmur or complaint, up to a few days before her pure spirit was liberated, to render service in varied fields of philanthropic and Christian work. Her devotion to her Divine Lord bore her through pain and weariness, and is fully expressed in these words, “This one thing I do.” At the close of the service the “Dead March” was played by Mr SIMMONDS, the organist.

Smart Capture by the Police

At the Dukinfield Police Court, on Thursday, three men named John WHITTAKER, Andrew WALKER and Wm HEAP, of Gorton, were in the dock charged with stealing with violence from the person of John WELLFORD, clerk, of Park-road, Dukinfield, a metal watch and chain, value 17s 6d, in Higher King-street on Wednesday night.

Superintendent CROGHAN stated that about 12 o’clock midnight, WELLFORD was coming from Hyde to Dukinfield along Victoria-road. When near a lamp he pulled out his watch to ascertain what time it was. The three prisoners were then coming along in the same direction behind him. WELLFORD made a remark to them “Gas is not very good in Dukinfield.” The prisoner HEAP then went up to him and deliberately struck him in the mouth. Immediately afterwards he apologised and said he had made a mistake and was very sorry. The other two prisoners did not speak or do anything.

After apologising, HEAP got hold of WELLFORD by the arm and walked along with him for a distance. When they got near Astley Deep Pit, HEAP snatched WELLFORD’s watch and chain and ran off with it, followed by the other two prisoners. He gave information to the police and this morning Acting Sergeant MOTTERSHEAD and Constable KENNY went to Manchester.

From information received, they went to No 16 Mill-street, West Gorton, and there apprehended the three prisoners in the same bedroom and recovered the watch and chain. The prisoners admitted the offence when charged, and also stated that they were in a club at Newton Wood until a short time prior to the robbery. After calling a little evidence he would ask for a remand until next Thursday, in order to inquire into the antecedents of the prisoners.

Acting Sergeant MOTTERSHEAD was then called, and stated that that in consequence of information received he went to Manchester that morning. He knocked at the door, and the prisoner WHITTAKER opened it. He entered the house, and said to WHITTAKER “Where are your mates?” He said they were in bed. Witness went upstairs and found the other two in bed with a third man. At the foot of the bed there was a waistcoat, out of which a watch was hanging. Constable KENNY said “Whose watch and chain is this?” There was no reply. Witness asked, “Whose waistcoat is this?” and WHITTAKER replied, “It’s mine.” Witness then asked “Whose watch is this?” and WHITTAKER said “You know what you have come for.” The watch and chain produced, belonging to WELLFORD, were the same.

The Magistrates’ Clerk asked prisoners if they had anything to say why they should not be remanded. Prisoner WHITTAKER replied in the negative, and said that what had been stated was true. Prisoner HEAP said that WELLFORD was drunk and tumbled against him. The bench remanded the prisoners until next Thursday, and allowed them bail.

At the Half-way House, Manchester-road, Droylsden, on Friday, the 16th May, Mr J F PRICE, the county coroner, and a jury of which Mr FISHER was the foreman, held an inquiry into the circumstances that led to the death of a child named John WORRALL, which was briefly reported in our last issue. The following evidence was given:

Eva WORRALL, wife of Joseph WORRALL, living at 3 Water-lane, Droylsden, said deceased was my son, and he was two years and four months old. About 9 o’clock on Wednesday morning I heard a coal lurry or cart going past the bottom of the entry. Deceased called out “coal,” and went out to watch with his little brother, four years of age. My mother, who had lived with me for a month, went to the stores about 9.30am, and when she came back, she looked for the children, and said “I cannot see them.” She then went out, and came back carrying deceased. He remained unconscious up to his death which took place about 8 o’clock the same night I saw a bruise on his head.

The Coroner: Do you always let you child go out when a coal cart comes past? – Witness: Well, he has gone out with his little brother.– Did you ask his brother about it? Yes; he said John was there on the floor, but he would not come.

Elizabeth CRYER, widow, living with her daughter, said she saw deceased go out about 9 o’clock. I went out soon afterwards to the stores, and on my return my daughter asked me to go to look for the children. I went into Water Lane, and afterwards I saw deceased’s little brother. I said “Where’s John?” He said “John’s up yonder. He won’t come.” I went up the lane, and found him lying near a gate. He was on his back, in the road, near to the railing that was down. His head was close to the railing and the movable portion of the railing was on the ground, quite near to him. I said “John, John,” but he never spoke. I picked him up and ran away with him home. Coroner: Was this railing fallen away out into the lane from the other railings? Witness: Yes, he was quite close to it

Samuel CONSTERDINE, 2 Moorcroft-street, Droylsden, said: I am a carter in the employ of Daniel HALLSWORTH, Moss side Farm, Audenshaw. On Wednesday morning last I was taking a load of coal to Dr GODSON’s on Manchester-road. I took the cart to the back by way of Water-lane. The backs of the houses are railed off from the lane. There is one portion of the railing that lifts out altogether to enable the carts to go through. A man went with me to ask for the job of getting the coal in. I could not tell his name. He is a man I picked up on the road. He goes to the New Moss Colliery.

I took the railing down and put it against some other railings, in an upright position, resting along the other railings. It was standing about a foot out at the bottom from the other railings when I left it. I took my cart through the opening, tipped the coal, and brought my cart out again into Water-lane. The Coroner: And did you put the railing back again? – Witness: No, sir.– Why didn’t you do so? Well, sir, we have always left it down for the man to get in who gets the coal in. – You ought to do so. Never leave it for others to do. Will you leave it down again? – No, sir. – It is your duty to put it up again. If you had done so this child would have been alive now. There might have been half a dozen children killed by the time the man had got his coal in. You should have put it back again. You see the results of leaving it to another person.

Addressing the jury, the Coroner pointed out that the other man could have got out with his barrow without going through the opening. The witness ought to have seen the railing put back before he left the place. He had been shirking his duty; that was about it. It was gross carelessness. CONSTERDINE said any child of eight years could lift “yon thing” off. The Coroner: If you go there again you must put the railing back before you leave, or else you will get into trouble.

Addressing the jury, the Coroner said although it was a thoughtless thing on this man’s part to do as he had done, he did not think they could say it was anything but an accident. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

Mr James Taylor NEWTON, secretary to the Reform Club, Town-lane, has received the following letter from Private G ANDREW, 7845, 3rd Volunteer Company, 2nd Cheshire Regiment, Field Force, South Africa, eldest son of Mr Wm ANDREW, of Town-lane, Dukinfield. It is dated April 22nd, 1902, and is intended for the members of the club.

Fellow members, Allow me to take this opportunity of again thanking you for the useful present you bought me and the hearty send off you gave me, as I shall never forget it. It was a good job I went back that night or I should have been confined to barracks as well as have had some pay stopped.

We set sail on the 8th of March on board the Arundel Castle, and had a very pleasant voyage, arriving at Capetown on Sunday, March 30th, at 12 o’clock noon. We got fresh orders to go up country to Durban and this was another four days’ sail. We arrived there about 10.30 on Thursday morning, but the swell on the water was so great that we could not land until Saturday night. We were then put into trains, in which we rode for three days and nights, passing through all the places where General BULLER fought on his way to Ladysmith.

We arrived at Ladysmith on Sunday afternoon at 3.30 and stayed there for four hours, so we had a walk round the town and saw a lot of relics of the siege. The Town Hall which stands in the centre of the city has had its tower fearfully shattered. We passed by Pieter Hill, Majuba Hill, Spion Kop, Coleman Bridge, Frere Bridge and Warners Hill. We also saw the graves of hundreds of our soldiers, the one of Lord ROBERTS’ son standing well out above the others.

Passing through Newcastle, Johannesburg, and many other notable places, we arrived at Klerksdorp April the 8th. We camped here for the night. We then got orders to march to Ventersdorp, which took us three days and a half, lying on the veldt at night. When we got to Ventersdorp we were told off to different blockhouses, nine men and one officer being at that which I am stationed.

Our chief duty is to see that no natives go in or out of town without a pass, and keep a good look out at night for Boers, as they are supposed to be around here. If I had been able to bring my camera with me I could have had a grand lecture for you when I arrive back, but this is not one of those pleasant rambles which you have illustrated to you on the screen to pass away a quiet Sunday evening.

If you have won the whist cup, which I hope you have, I hope you will be able to retain possession until I return to have a drink out of it. Wishing the members and the club the best of luck and success, especially next November. I remain, yours truly,
Private G ANDREW
PS – Tell George ROYLE and Councillor STAFFORD not to break the balls with hitting them so hard as I shall want a game when I get back as there is no chance here.

We have an impression that Whitsuntide is more liable than any other holiday season to fatalities. There have been sufficient number of instances in bygone years to support a prima facie case to that effect. Speculative reasons might also be ventured to account for this. It may be pointed out that this is the first great holiday-making period of the year; that the holiday-makers enter upon their enjoyment with the keenness of novelty; that the winds and waves are in more turbulent condition than at a later period of the year; and that the arrangements for the season are new and untried, and have not been brought to such perfection as they attain after they have for some time been put to the test of actual working.

When the first detailed account of the boating disaster at Killarney was read, the first reflection probably was that the usual and inevitable Whitsuntide catastrophe had occurred. When it further appeared that out of the thirteen victims, four were from Royton, it could not be fail to be recalled as a further coincidence that it was to a Royton school excursion train at Whitsuntide that a disastrous accident happened on the Cambrian Railway a few years ago.

Is the place specially unlucky, or is it that Oldhamers and people from the Oldham radius contribute such a large proportion to the holiday makers of the kingdom that they are always sure to be where there is anything good to be found, and per contra come in for their full share of any disasters that are happening?

After a Sunday spent in admiring the beauties of the lakes, and exploring their romantic surroundings, the nine tourists and their four boatmen had nearly completed their return journey, when one of those sudden squalls occurred to which the lakes among the mountains are liable. The boat had been accompanied by other boats up to this time, but during the storm of rain and hail the parties lost sight of each other, and when the storm cleared off the devoted boat and its occupants were nowhere to be seen.

It is supposed that when the waves began to rise, and the “white horses” to show their manes of foam, the ladies in the boat would become alarmed, would rise up to some critical moment when the slightest movement might endanger the stability of the boat, and thus would cause it to upset. Of course, this is surmise; but the experience of people who have been rowed over the lakes in similar weather is that even without any such additional provocation boats may capsize very readily when brought broadside against the wind.

It appears singular that not one of the unlucky thirteen should have survived. Surely some of them would be able to swim ashore or to hold on by the overturned boat until some other boat came to the rescue. But anything might occur in such bitterly cold weather, in a turbulent sea, with ladies to look after, and everyone possibly about saving his own life. Only three bodies were found on Monday morning under the smashed relics of the boat, and it remains to be seen whether anything about the bodies of the other victims will tend to elucidate the mystery which at present envelops the calamity.

MISCELLANEOUS SALES LAMP OIL, 7d per gallon; WINDOW GLASS, 2d per foot; PUTTY, 1d per lb; GLASS SHADES, WINDOW CURTAINS, OLD GLAZING DONE. Cheaper than any other house in the trade. – STANLEY’s Glass Warehouse, Opposite Gasworks, Ashton-under-Lyne.
ICE, ICE, ICE – Large Quantity of Splendid ICE for sale at Stamford Park. FOR SALE, EDISON STANDARD PHONOGRAPH and RECORDS, 50s – Turner, 62 King-street, Dukinfield. FOR SALE, WOOD HUT, 16ft by 11ft, double roof, slated, in good condition. – H BRIERLEY, Micklehurst.
Gents free wheel CYCLE, £5; also Lady’s, £3 15s – 171, King-street, Dukinfield. PIANO, taken in exchange: panel front; full compass, £10 10s – H BAYLEY, 17 Market-street, Stalybridge. FIREWOOD BUSINESS, with horse and cart; also a large quantity of good new FIREWOOD. – Address 29 Freetown, Glossop.
ON SALE, OLD WINDOWS and FIREWOOD. – Roberts Bros., Economiser Works, Dukinfield BLACK MINORCA EGGS for SITTING, 2s for 13 – Apply to Richard BARLOW, Brown Edge, Mossley. FRIED FISH, CHIP and ICE CREAM BUSINESS, including machine and freezer, to be disposed of. – Apply 15 Waggon-road, Mossley.
ON SALE, Old-established TRIPE-DRESSING BUSINESS, retail and wholesale, including wooden shop; also lock-up shop. – Apply Reporter Office, Ashton. ON SALE, Good Strong PONY, 12 hands; also Barrow CART and GEARS to suit; also Butcher’s TRAP. – Apply Tom PLATT, 4 Parliament-street, Dukinfield. 100 CUCUMBER PLANTS ON SALE, also all kinds of Bedding-Out and Celery Plants. Inspection invited. – Samuel COTTERELL, 77 Grasscroft-street, Stalybridge.
Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (© 1999-2021) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at https://rhodesfamily.org.uk.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.