19 December 1903

County Court Sequel

On the 25th of July last a girl named Hannah SAXON, aged 9 years, was going along Cork-street, Ashton, when she was knocked down by a horse and cart belonging to John Thomas KENNEDY, a cooper, of Mill-lane, Ashton.

She received internal injuries, and had to be medically attended, and the sequel was an action heard in the Ashton County Court on Thursday, before his Honour Judge Reginald Brown, K.C., when Harry WILD, grinder, of 38 Glebe-street, sued, on behalf of the injured girl, the defendant for a sum of £9 14s 6d, damages for injuries sustained.

The plaintiff contended that the horse was driven in a negligent and furious manner. The plaintiff was internally injured, and the sum claimed was for medical attendance and damage for pain and suffering. Mr J B SANDBACH, barrister, appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr Joseph HURST represented the defendant.

Mr SANDBACH stated that the girl was the plaintiff’s adopted daughter. The accident occurred in Cork-street, Ashton, and the girl was knocked down just as she stepped off the pavement. — Evidence was given by several witnesses of the accident, and all were of the opinion that the trap was driven recklessly. One witness said the horse was going from twenty to twenty-five miles an hour. — (Laughter.)

Dr WALLACE, who attended the child, told the judge that the girl was in bed for 10 days. She was suffering from general shock to the system, and he did not think she had quite recovered from the shock.

Mr HURST called the defendant, who said he was driving very slow at the time the accident occurred. The girl was trying to get out of the way of another cart when she ran against the horse he was driving, and was knocked down. The pony’s leg caught her. — Lilian Ann SHEPLEY stated that the girl ran under the pony’s hooves. It all happened “in a flash.”

His Honour, in commenting on the evidence for the defence, said he was not satisfied with it. It was not good enough to have the evidence of people who were friends and on their door-steps. He believed the evidence of the independent witnesses for plaintiff, and was of opinion that defendant was driving carelessly, and did not see the little girl. He found a verdict for the plaintiff, and allowed her £6 4s.

Sir, — As I have had bands and singers at my house on Christmas morning for many years, I would like to suggest that the bands play the Christmas Hymn twice through and two hymns, one verse each. It would be much better, as the donations would no doubt be more from the majority of the subscribers. The singers have the same idea that I have, and I don’t think they lose by it. I remember one band last year having played the Christmas Hymn before I was aware they were at my house.

Thanking you for insertion. I am yours,

Died in the Street

On Monday information was conveyed to the County Police at Hurst of the death of George BOOTH, aged 54, a shopkeeper, of 67 Hillgate-street, Hurst, which took place suddenly about 5pm on that date. It appears that deceased enjoyed fairly good health, except for a cough which had troubled him for a few moths past.

About 2.30 on Monday afternoon he accompanied his wife and daughter to Ashton to do some shopping, and on returning home he complained of a pain in his chest, and told his wife and daughter to hurry home, saying he would follow on slowly. Mrs and Miss BOOTH had not been more than five minutes in the house when two children told them that deceased was sitting on a window sill in Hillgate-street unable to get further. Mrs BOOTH went to his assistance, but he was unable to walk and had to be carried home. Dr HILTON was immediately summoned, and pronounced life extinct.

An inquest was held by Mr J F PRICE (County Coroner) and a jury, at the Colliers’ Arms, Hillgate-street, on Tuesday afternoon, where a verdict of death from natural causes, probably sudden heart failure of the heart’s action, was returned.

About 11.15 on Wednesday night the residents in the neighbourhood of Messrs Reyners Limited, Albion Mills, Ashton, were thrown into a state of excitement by the sound of the fire gong in connection with the sprinklers of the mill, which could be heard for a long distance away.

A telephonic message was immediately dispatched from the White Hart Inn to the fire station stating that the mill was on fire, and the alarm bells were rung at the Town Hall, and the fire brigade in a remarkably short time was on its way to the mill. On arrival it was discovered that a steam valve had burst in the engine house, setting the sprinklers working.

The death took place on Thursday week at his residence, 277 Stamford-street, of Mr John HARRISON, aged 84 years. For some months past Mr HARRISON had been visibly failing in health, and it had been evident to all his friends that the end was not far off.

For 48 years he had been prominently connected with Ryecroft Chapel, where he was a senior deacon. Springing from a race of sturdy Derbyshire farmers, whose home was near Glossop, all his early life was spent in the vicinity of the farmyard. When the deceased was a few years old the family moved to Hadfield. There he lived until with a wife and family he came to Ashton to take up a position at Oxford Mills.

He was one of the founders of Ryecroft Chapel, when it was held min a small building in the neighbourhood of Crowthorn. Since that time he has been inseparably connected with all the doings of the chapel, and his death, though not entirely unexpected, will be felt by all.

An impressive funeral service was held on Monday afternoon in the chapel by the Rev J M CRAVEN, where many of the deceased’s friends had assembled. The rev. gentleman paid an eloquent tribute to his memory, and spoke of his close connection with the history of the church and of the loss the congregation had sustained. His death, he said, had snapped a link in the chain which bound the present generation to the past. There were only two or three of the kind left, and when they disappeared the severance would be complete.

The funeral took place at Dukinfield Cemetery on Monday afternoon, amid every manifestation of regret, and was attended by a large number of friends and relatives. Many of his old friends and associates attended the funeral, including some former deacons, who occupied the office during the early period of his connection with the chapel, and amongst them were Messrs Abel BRADBURY, Manchester, W H MORRIS, Lytham, Jabez AXON, Sale, David MORRIS, Heaton Chapel, Jos HADFIELD, Bardsley Gate, Matley, Stalybridge, Mr Wm KNOTT, representing the Harper Twist, where deceased was a former director, also attended.

The County Council Bye-Laws

At the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, Alfred RIDGEWELL and David WHITTAKER were summoned for removing swine without license at Waterloo. They pleaded not guilty.

Superintendent HEWITT stated that it was a proceeding taken under the bye-laws of the County Council, which provided that no swine should be removed into the county of Lancaster except the tranportee had a license allowing him to do so. It appeared that on the 30th of November last a constable met the defendant RIDGEWELL with nine pigs in a float on Oldham-road, Waterloo. He asked to see his license, which he produced, but on examination it was found that it only provided for the removal of eight pigs. After a little talk he produced another license for eleven pigs, consequently neither license could apply.

The officer spoke to seeing defendant in a float on Oldham-road, Waterloo, and asking to see the license. When asked who was the owner of the pigs he said David WHITTAKER.

In answer to the Clerk, WHITTAKER said he was a pig dealer and dealt in thousands a year. — The Clerk: You ought to know the law if you are a pig dealer. — Defendant: I do, but not definitely.

RIDGEWELL was fined 1s and costs, and WHITTAKER 5s and costs, the Chairman observing that they had had a very cheap lesson.

Annual Tea Party and Ball

On Tuesday the annual gathering of the above union was held in the Co-operative Hall, Ashton. Over a hundred sat down to an excellent tea, catered for by Mr J ANDREW, Katherine-street. After tea a short meeting was held, presided over by Mr Harry SMITH (president), who was supported by the secretary (Mr Percy MAJOR), and other officials; Mr F KEMP (president, Hairdressers’ Federation), Mr Edward BYRNE (president, Lancashire and Cheshire Federation of Trades Councils), Mr Kennedy (Manchester, the oldest hairdresser in England), Mr A RILEY (Salford), Mr S JACKSON (Openshaw), and Mr T GEE (Ardwick).

The Chairman congratulated the members on having maintained and strengthened their position in the district. Messrs KENNEDY, BYRNE, ASPINALL and POTTER briefly addressed the meeting, some concern being expressed as to the possible effect in the trade of the new Children’s Employment Act.

Mr J HULME’s orchestral band gave a tuneful and spirited programme of dance music, and at intervals variety was afforded by a smart display of conjuring by Mr Chris TAYLOR, and the excellent rendering of “Killarney” and “Daddy” by Miss PAYNE, a youthful soprano. Mr H DUCKWORTH was M.C., and the stewards were Messrs JAGGER, MELLOR, COUPE, S MOORHOUSE, CLOUGH, R E SMITH, ASPINALL, and POTTER. The dancing continued until one o’clock. Mr C F REDFORD was the refreshment caterer.

Pricked His Thumb with an Awl

The death, under singular circumstances, has been reported to the Ashton police of Thomas AVEYARD, shoemaker, aged 57 years, residing at 38 Booth-street, Ashton, which took place about 9.20 on Sunday morning from septic blood poisoning.

Whilst at work as a shoemaker about six weeks ago he pricked his thumb with an awl, and about a week or ten days afterwards he complained of a severe pain in the arm. Up to this time he had always enjoyed good health, and was able to follow his employment regularly. As the symptoms showed no signs of abatement on the following day his wife called in Dr TWOMEY, who was examined him, and said he was suffering from blood poisoning, and ordered him to be poulticed, which was done, but it gave no relief. The symptoms developed alarmingly, until at length he collapsed entirely and died as aforementioned.

The inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon at the Free Trade Inn, Booth-street, Ashton, by Mr J F PRICE, District Coroner.

Mary Lucy AVEYARD, wife of the deceased, said her husband had had fairly good health, and had always been able to follow his occupation as a shoemaker on his own account. About the commencement of November witness saw he had a bit of wax plaster on his left thumb. Witness asked him what he had done, and he replied he had pricked it with an awl whilst forcing an old sole off a boot.

On the following Sunday, after tea, he complained of pain under his left arm. Witness examined it, and could see nothing at all. The arm was bathed in hot water, and wrapped in turpentine bandages, and by the next morning he was much worse, and Dr TWOMEY was called in. The doctor asked her husband if he had pricked his thumb or hand anywhere, and he replied yes. Poultices were applied, and the arm began to swell. The doctor attended him daily until death, and told witness he was suffering from blood poisoning arising from the wound in the thumb. Deceased had pricked himself many times before, but never thought anything about it.

The Coroner remarked that the doctor had very kindly sent him a note expressing the opinion that death was the result of blood poisoning arising from the wound. It was a common occurrence for blood poisoning to be set up by a scratch with a rusty nail, pin, &c. The jury returned a verdict of death from misadventure.

MR HOWORTH’S APPOINTMENT. — Mr Daniel Fowler HOWORTH applied at the County Police at Ashton on Wednesday morning for a confirmation of his appointment as chief overseer for Hurst. — Granted.

A WARM RECEPTION. — William GOODIER and Mary MACLAREN were before the county magistrates at Ashton on Wednesday charged with committing a breach of the peace at Hurst on the 29th of November. GOODIER pleaded guilty. — Mr T E HEWITT, who represented MACLAREN, pleaded not guilty. — GOODIER’s version of the affair was that he went to MACLAREN’s house and asked for his missus. MACLAREN suddenly appeared armed with a poker, and said “I’ll give you missus.” — (Laughter.) — Mrs MACLAREN said it was not true, he came to her door and began shouting at her. — Mr HEWITT said he had insulted her many times before. — The Chairman: You are very silly folk kicking up a row like that. You are both dismissed and don’t come here again. — GOODIER: Thank you, sir, that is the idea.

The Stalybridge police are to be congratulated on bringing to book such offenders against moral order as the two — man and wife — who appeared in answer to a summons at Wednesday’s police court. Pictures and other articles of an obscene character have been distributed for the last few weeks amongst young people who have been frequenting the Market Ground.

The tendency to develop the evil propensities is sufficiently strong without being fostered in this despicable manner by people who seek only monetary gain thereby. It needs all one’s efforts to ensure that the best traits of character shall have full opportunity to improve and produce a generation of men and women of the highest possible order.

During the coming Christmas season the regular transmission and prompt delivery of letters will be facilitated if the public will post their Christmas cards as long before Christmas Day as possible, and if on Wednesday or Thursday, the 23rd and 24th instant as early in the day as possible. New Year’s cards should be posted early on the 31st instant.

It will be necessary to close the letter boxes in Dukinfield earlier than usual on the 24th instant, and the hour of closing will be announced by Mr LYDFORD, postmaster, by a notice exhibited in the Post Office window, or in some other conspicuous position for the information of the public. Important business letters requiring prompt delivery should be posted early in the day. The early purchase of postage stamps for the prepayment of Christmas correspondence will materially assist the department’s arrangements.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.