21 March 1903

End of an Interesting Career

Amid many manifestations of sorrow and regret the mortal remains of the late Mr George WILD, an old and respected resident of Bardsley, whose death we announced last week, were laid to rest in the parish churchyard at Bardsley on Saturday afternoon.

It was a day of mourning in the village. All the blinds of the houses were drawn in the vicinity of Albert-terrace, the home of the deceased, from which the funeral cortege wended its way to the parish church shortly before three o’clock. Crowds of people lined the roadway, their presence in such large number being significant of the deep respect and reverence which they entertained towards their old and esteemed parishioner, who to many of them had been a source of inspiration and learning, and an influence for higher and nobler motives, as well as a generous helper in the application of his scientific principles.

In consequence of the home of the deceased being in close proximity to the churchyard, the funeral cortege traversed the intervening distance on foot, the coffin being borne to its last resting place by several trusty friends of the deceased. The Bardsley Old Band, under the conductorship of Mr J HULME, headed the procession and played the “Dead March” and “Jesu lover of my soul” on the way to the church.

It was a mournful spectacle, on many faces being plainly visible indications of the internal emotions, whilst expressions of regret were heard on all hands. In addition to the immediate mourners, composed of members of the family, there were present in the procession many familiar faces, including Mr W CHADWICK, the well-known chartist, of Gorton, whose presence was a testimony of a lifelong friendship with the deceased.

On the occasion of the last visit of the well-known chartist to the Bardsley Liberal Club to deliver a lecture on “Church and State,” his departed colleague acted as his chairman, and took part with all his former ardour and enthusiasm in the spirited debate which followed.

There were also present, amongst others, Mr W L HANNAN, the well-known botanist; Mr George LEES (chairman of the Bardsley Parish Council); and Mr Joseph LEECH; also members of the Bardsley Parish Council, Waterloo Parish Council, Bardsley Liberal and Conservative Clubs, Bardsley Permanent Benefit Building Society, of which deceased was president, Bardsley Cosmopolitan and Botanical Society, and Order of Druids.

The scene inside the church was solemn and impressive, and there was a large assemblage inside the sacred edifice. The coffin, on which reposed a goodly number of floral tributes, was borne reverently along the nave and deposited in the chancel, and the last offices of the Church were said by the Rev L ROBBS (vicar). The final scene at the graveside was very touching. The Bardsley Band played “Abide with me,” and the whole assemblage of villagers and mourners joined with much fervour in singing the hymn.

That has always been a stumbling block, – no one in Ashton. People living in out-of-the-way places offered their testimony, but it was of little value here because it couldn’t be proved. But now all this has changed, for scores of Ashton people, bred and born who have all their lives in the town – people whose word is beyond question – have freely given their testimony and the confidence of Ashton firmly established. Here is a case in point.

Mr Charles BUTTERWORTH is a French polisher, and lives at 133 Church-street. He is a native of Ashton, and very well-known. He has a great deal of bending and stooping to do in his trade, and if he has anything wrong with his back, it soon finds him out. Here is what he says about it:

”For many years past I have been a great sufferer from terrible backache caused by my kidneys not working properly. The secretions were high-coloured, and often painful, leaving a gritty deposit. The pains have been so severe that many a time they have knocked me up altogether, and I have had to lay off work in consequence. I tried all sorts of things, but they did me no good.

”I happened to see the advertisement of Doan’s Backache Kidney Pills in the paper, so I got some at THOMPSON’s and began to take them. They certainly are a grand medicine, for they have done me a lot of good. My back is much better since taking them, and the kidneys act freely and naturally. I gladly testify to their merit as a kidney medicine. (Signed), Charles BUTTERWORTH.

Doan’s Backache Kidney Pills are sold by all chemists and drug stores at 2s 9d per box (six boxes 13s 9d) or sent direct, post free, on receipt of price by the proprietors, - Foster McClellan, Co, 8 Wells-street, Oxford-street, London, W. If you are ill, write to us, your letters will be treated with the strictest confidence and privacy. We make no charge for advice, and we may be able to save you a world of suffering.

Lecture by Mr Phillip Snowden

On Monday evening Mr Phillip SNOWDEN delivered an address in the Cooperative Hall, Portland-street, Ashton, on “What is the use of politics?” The proceedings were under the auspices of the Independent Labour party of the town. The hall was filled by an audience composed almost exclusively of men. Socialist literature was sold among the people present while the meeting was assembling. The admission was free, but there was a collection to defray expenses, and Socialist melodies, sung by the audience to pianoforte and violin accompaniments, formed part of the proceedings. The first hymn was styled “England, arise.”

The Chairman (Councillor R A BARRETT), in opening the proceedings, said this was the first of that class of meetings which at one time were very common amongst them. He was sorry that Mr SNOWDEN’s lecture would be the only one of the kind that had been given in Ashton this winter. It was intended that it should have been the second, but one partly arranged for their old friend and comrade, Enid STACEY, had fallen through.

He felt it as a kind of personal reproach that there had not been more such meetings, because he considered that when any number of men had had some great truth made clear to them it became their duty to do all they possibly could to proclaim it to others. In this respect he was afraid they had done less than their duty in this town. He hoped this lecture would mark the return to a more determined effort on their part. He granted there were other forces at work making for the accomplishments of their ideals. Economic forces were slowly, persistently, and surely bringing this about, but that did not free them the duty to the best of their ability to bring the ideals of Socialism to the minds of their fellow countrymen

Mr Phillip SNOWDEN, in the course of his lecture, said that 60 years ago Ashton was seething with political discontent. There was no town in England had a more honourable record. At that time the working classes in Ashton, as in every part of the country, were demanding political enfranchisement. The Chartist leaders manifested a very wise statesmanship in their days in concentrating their efforts in securing democratic political machinery.

LICENSE OF THE ODDFELLOWS ARMS. – An application was made at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, by Thomas Richard SHARP, for the transfer of the license of the Oddfellows Arms, Hurst, from Jas. Thomas CLIFFE to himself. There was no objection and the application was granted.

HELPLESSLY DRUNK. – Bridget BRENNAND and George HOWARD were charged at the Ashton County Police Court on Monday with being drunk at Hurst on Sunday. – Both defendants pleaded not guilty. – Evidence was given by a constable of finding the two defendants helplessly drunk. – The magistrates discharged BRENNAND and fined HOWARD 5s 6d for costs, or seven days’ imprisonment.

AS MYSTERIOUS AS THE ELLISON-STREET GHOST. – The whereabouts of a defendant named William CLOUGH, who failed to appear to answer a charge of being drunk in Union-road, Hurst, on March 1st, puzzled the Ashton County Justices somewhat on Wednesday. Defendant sent a man to represent him, whose name did not transpire. He told the magistrates that the defendant was on business. – The chairman (Dr HUGHES): What is his business? I cannot tell. – Do you mean working? (No answer). – The Magistrates’ Clerk (Mr C H BOOTH): What does he do? He used to be a twister. – Is he “twisting” today? – (Laughter.) You must know something about him? I cannot tell where he has gone. – The chairman: What are you here for? To plead guilty. – The Magistrates fined defendant 2s 6d for costs.

BACHELORS’ PARTY. – In connection with the Primitive Methodist Sunday School, Whitworth-street, a bachelors’ party was held on Saturday last when upward of 70 sat down to tea, prepared solely by the bachelors. A great deal of amusement was caused by the various rules in force against the ladies. After tea a miscellaneous entertainment was given, presided over by the Rev W S HOWLETT, circuit minister. During the evening Miss BLAGG sang very sweetly, “The child and the star,” and “Daddy.” Mr O WOOD sang in his usual manner “Queen of angels” and “Eileen alanna.” The violinist, Mr G MOTTRAM, played “The last rose of summer” among other selections, and Miss KNIGHT, of the Charlestown Recital Class, gave “Lost in a fog” and “Th’ owd bonnet,” her rendering of which the audience encored, when she recited “Betsy and I.” Mr TAYLOR also recited “Buy your own cherries,” which was also encored. Votes of thanks to all who helped to make the party a success closed a most enjoyable evening.

The unfortunate occurrence in Welbeck-street, Ashton, about 1.50pm on Monday week, in which a carter named Thomas WORSLEY was run over by a lurry load of hay and chop, has resulted fatally. WORSLEY was in a state of collapse on being admitted to the District Infirmary, and in spite of medical skill and attention he succumbed to his injuries at ten minutes past two on the Wednesday morning following. On Friday afternoon Mr J F PRICE, county coroner, held an inquest on the body at the District Infirmary, Mr Edwin DIGGLE being foreman of the jury.

Ellen WORSLEY, wife of deceased, said she resided with deceased at 18 Hayfield-street, Portwood, Stockport, he being a carter in the employ of Messrs DEAVILLE Bros, corn and flour merchants, King-street, Portwood. Deceased was 30 years of age last birthday, and had worked for the same firm four years. He was accustomed to horses.

She last saw him alive at 5.30 on Monday morning last when he left home to go to his work. Later on in the day word was brought to the mill where she worked that her husband had been hurt. She came to Ashton Infirmary, and there saw deceased in bed. He was quite conscious, but being in pain he asked her not to question him.

Thomas WHITWORTH, grocer, of 117 Welbeck-street, deposed that on Monday last at two pm he was standing at his shop door, when he saw a lurry to which one horse was attached going in the direction of Katherine-street. The lurry was laden with corn in sacks and hay. Witness did not see deceased sitting on the front of the lurry, but just as he looked out he saw the carter topple over face downwards on the left side of the roadway. Both the near side wheels passed over deceased.

Witness ran to his assistance, and finding he was badly hurt he ran for a doctor. Drs HILTON and TALENT came shortly afterwards, and after rendering first aid they despatched the injured man to the Infirmary. Witness could not say whether the horse was running at the time, but it was pulled up in under 40 yards. He had not the slightest idea what caused WORSLEY to fall. There was no electric car about, and nothing that witness saw in the street could have frightened the horse. The street was in bad condition, being full of ruts.

Mr Joseph M JUDSON, resident medical officer at the Infirmary, said WORSLEY was admitted into the institution on Monday afternoon suffering from a compound fracture of the right leg, fracture of the left hip bone, and severe contusion of the organs of the abdomen. He was quite conscious and perfectly sober. Deceased rallied slightly from the shock, and then went gradually worse, death taking place at 2pm next day as the result of shock arising from abdominal injuries. Deceased told witness he had been run over, but he never explained how it came about. Had anyone been to blame deceased might easily have told witness.

Mr Thos DEAVILLE, who represented the firm which employed deceased, said that WORSLEY was a reliable workman. He left the works about 9.30 on Monday morning.

The Coroner said there was no other evidence. It really looked as though WORSLEY was thrown off his cart through the ruts, but there was no evidence to prove that.

A Juror commented upon the bad condition of the street, and said it was possible for more accidents to occur there unless something was done. – Another Juror said it was possible deceased was having a “nod” at the time he was thrown off. – The firm’s representative, in answer to a question, said the horse WORSLEY was driving was very quiet. A verdict of “Accidental death” was returned.

Information was received at the Ashton Police Station of the death of Harold FELL, infant son of Florence FELL, charwoman, 30 Gosford-street, Ashton, which took place at Ashton District Infirmary about 7 o’clock on Monday night.

On Sunday the mother went out charring at the Star Inn, leaving the child in the house in charge of his grandfather. According to the latter’s statement, he had undressed the child for the purpose of giving him a bath. The child was walking across the hearth when he stumbled over an obstacle and fell into a pan of boiling water, which had been placed by the grandfather on the hearth, receiving scalds all over the body. Dr WALLACE was called in and attended to the injuries, and ordered the child’s removal to the Infirmary, where death took place as aforestated.

The inquest was held on Thursday afternoon at the District Infirmary. Florence FELL, mother of the deceased, said she was a charwoman at the Star Inn, Old-street. On Sunday she left home at seven o’clock in the morning to go to the Star Inn, leaving the child at home in charge of her father. About noon she heard the child had been scalded, and on returning home she found Dr WALLACE there applying linseed oil and limewater to the scalds. Witness wrapped the child in a shawl, and at once took him to the infirmary in a cab.

William FELL, brass finisher, 30 Gosford-street, said deceased was his grandson. On Sunday he was in charge of the child. About 11.40 witness had almost undressed the child prior to giving him a bath, and placed him on the sofa whilst getting the water ready. He took a pan of boiling water off the fire, and went into the back kitchen for some more water. A son of witness lifted deceased off the sofa during his absence, and on returning to the house he heard a scream, and on looking round saw deceased had fallen into the pan. Witness lifted the child out of the pan, and witness went for linseed oil and limewater and sent for Dr WALLACE.

Dr JUDSON said deceased was admitted on the 15th, suffering from extensive scalds on the abdomen, chest and the left arm. The child was in a state of extreme shock. He was placed under treatment, but never recovered from the shock, from which he died on Monday at 7pm. There was no appearance of neglect whatever. – The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death.”

Successor to Mr G Lunt

On Friday afternoon the Stamford Park Committee of Ashton and Stalybridge met at Highfield House to fill the vacancy of superintendent created by the death of Mr George LUNT. There were present representing Ashton, Alderman A W SIDDALL (chairman), Councillors John WILSON (Delamere-street), John WHITEHEAD, J J PHILLIPS, and Captain BROADBENT; Stalybridge: Alderman FENTON, Alderman A SIMPSON, Councillor G HOLLAND, Councillor Adam KEEFE, and Mr John NEAL, secretary.

There were originally 61 applicants from all parts of the country, but at a preliminary meeting these were reduced to five, who had had to have a personal audience with the committee. These were the superintendent of the parks at St Helens, Swinton, Hollinwood, Dukinfield, and the gardener at Stamford Park.

At the close of the interviews, Mr Samuel TURNER, superintendent of the Dukinfield Park, was called into the room and informed by the chairman that the committee had unanimously decided to confer the appointment upon him at a commencing salary of £130 per annum. Mr TURNER returned his warmest thanks, and assured the committee he should make it his constant endeavour to serve the committee at all times faithfully and well.

The new superintendent is a native of Mossley, where he saw the light some 34 years ago. He comes from a family of gardeners, his father at the present time being head gardener at the Mossley Corporation Park. Ever since he was able to work he has cultivated the soil and brought forth its beauties in horticulture and botanic specimens. Prior to his appointment at Dukinfield some two years ago, he was employed as head gardener at W H SCOTT, Esq, shipowner, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

For several years he served the Mossley Corporation as foreman of their public park. He has also been foreman of the glass department at the Royal Botanical Gardens, Manchester, and has worked in the establishment of Messrs SANDER, St Albans. For two years he was employed in the Royal Gardens, Kew. He posses all the certificates granted by the Government relating to horticulture.

HORSE STRAYING. – Thomas DAVENPORT pleaded guilty at the Ashton County Police Court, on Wednesday, on a charge of allowing a horse to stray at Audenshaw, and was fined 5s for costs.

DOG WITHOUT LICENSE. – George WORSLEY pleaded guilty to having a dog without license at Audenshaw on February 25th, and was fined 5s 6d and costs.

FAILED TO APPEAR. – John HADFIELD failed to appear at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday to answer a charge of drunk and disorderly at Audenshaw on February 20th, and was fined 2s 6d and costs.

BREACH OF THE PEACE. – Sarah TEALE pleaded guilty at the Ashton County Court on Wednesday to committing a breach of the peace at Audenshaw on February 22nd, and was bound over in 40s to be of good behaviour for three months.

CELEBRATING ST PATRICK’S DAY. – Eliza CHADDERTON was in custody on Wednesday, charged with being drunk at Audenshaw on St Patrick’s Day. – Defendant pleaded not guilty, and said she simply went into a public house and asked for a gill of beer, and was told to get outside as she could not be served. A policeman was just passing, and he looked her up. – A constable deposed to seeing defendant drunk, going about asking for beer at different public houses. – Superintendent HEWITT pointed out to the magistrates that defendant only came out of prison on February 24th. – The magistrates imposed a fine of 7s 6d and costs, or 14 days.

”A Common Practice in the District”

A respectably dressed young man, named Reginald JONES, was in custody at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, charged with stealing a billiard ball from the Waterloo Liberal Club on March 10th. Mr A LEES appeared on behalf of the prisoner, who pleaded not guilty.

Superintendent HEWITT said that on the date in question the wife of the caretaker of the club went into the billiard room and found the prisoner there. Prisoner travelled about dealing in billiard accessories without any license. Soon after he left the club the billiard ball was missed. In consequence of something that came to his knowledge, the caretaker went to a public house in Ashton and found prisoner there offering billiard balls for sale.

He recognized the missing ball, and asked the prisoner where he had got it from. He replied that he had bought it from the landlord of the Boat-house Inn, Romiley. The caretaker offered to pay his expenses there to prove it, to which prisoner replied, “Oh! Can’t we settle it?” The caretaker told him he could not settle it, and that he had better see the Club Committee. They went and subsequently saw the members of the Club Committee, and the prisoner admitted to them that he had taken the ball, and asked them if he could settle it. The committee refused, and sent for a policeman and gave him into custody.

Elizabeth SEFTON, wife of the caretaker, gave corroborative evidence, and said that the prisoner came into the club about four o’clock in the afternoon, and asked if they required any requisites for the billiard table. He left the club and subsequently the billiard ball was missed.

John SEFTON, caretaker of the club, deposed to going to the Old Dog Inn, Ashton, and finding the prisoner there. He had just played a game of billiards, and was trying to sell the landlord something. He had a billiard ball in a bag which witness recognized as the missing one. The landlord told prisoner to take his “hook.” Prisoner had left an old cracked billiard ball in place of the missing one. On his way to the club to see the committee, he asked witness to settle the matter, as he had a wife and children.

By Mr LEES: It was possible for the prisoner to have taken the cracked ball out of his pocket and send it spinning round the table and pick up the wrong ball by mistake. The prisoner was a traveler for a billiard maker, and dealt in billiard accessories. He went into the club to do business, and found a small boy in charge. He picked up a small red billiard ball out of his pocket, and sent it spinning round the table at another red ball. He heard someone coming which he thought was the steward, and hurriedly he picked up one of the balls, which turned out to be the wrong one

The ball which he left was, as a matter of fact, of greater value than the one taken. He discovered the mistake later on in the evening, and it was his intention to call next day and explain the mistake. He went to the Old Dog Inn, and tried to do some business there, and not knowing the steward when he came in, he did not deem it necessary to give a sufficient explanation to him.

The Magistrates’ Clerk (Mr C H BOOTH): Would it not have been more natural to have said that he had found out he had made a mistake? – The Chairman (Dr HUGHES): I do not think that a man dealing in billiard balls could possibly have made such a mistake. – Mr LEES: Not even when picking up hurriedly? – Dr HUGHES: No. – The Clerk: The veriest amateur at billiards would not have made such a mistake. There is a difference in size.

Mr LEES: The difference is perceptible when you see them together. He had no necessity to do this for the purpose of making anything. He is in receipt of a salary which will keep him. – Superintendent HEWITT said that about 10 years ago prisoner was committed for a month with hard labour for stealing a bicycle.

The Chairman said the bench had been informed that this was common practice in the district, and billiard balls had been missed from several clubs and other places. The magistrates fined prisoner 21s, or one month’s imprisonment.

Striking a Wife with a Hammer

At a special police court at Dukinfield yesterday, before Alderman C H BOOTH and Mr W UNDERWOOD, a man named William Henry BARDSLEY, greengrocer, was placed in the dock charged with unlawfully wounding his wife on the 19th instant.

Bertha BARDSLEY said: I am 17 years of age. The prisoner is my father. Yesterday at about five o’clock, my father and mother were falling out. Mother was standing at the back door, when I saw my father hit her on the head with a hammer three times, and say, “Take that.” Mother screamed and ran down the entry into a house opposite. She was bleeding from the head, and I sent for a doctor.

The Chairman: Was he sober? – Witness: No, he had some drink, but he was not sober or drunk. – After he struck your mother, did she become unconscious? No; she ran down the entry, and would have fallen if a young man had not got hold of her. – The Chairman: Have you any questions to ask the witness? – Prisoner: She hit me twice in the face. – The Chairman: The police are asking for a remand and perhaps it would be as well to wait. Superintendent CROGHAN: Is this the hammer? – Witness: Yes. – Prisoner: It was excitement in drink. – The Chairman: You will be remanded until Thursday at Hyde.

Acting-sergeant JACKSON stated that about 6pm, from information received, he went to 18 Birch-lane, and found that Alice Ann BARDSLEY was injured. He apprehended the prisoner in Tame Valley at 6.30, and took him to the police station. He charged him this (Friday) morning with unlawfully wounding his wife by hitting her on the head with a hammer with intent to do her grievous bodily harm. He cautioned prisoner, and he replied, “The bother at home started it. It is not nice to have the children throwing things at you and hitting you in the face.”

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.