23 May 1903

At the Stockport Police Court on Monday, a man named Ernest POGSON, whose last place of residence is given as Wharf-street, Ashton-under-Lyne, and who is described as a collier, was before the Bench in an amusing case.

From the evidence it appears he had been tramping the country of late, and he called at the house of Mr William Thompson KIRKPATRICK, of Sharston House, Northen Etchells, Northenden. The servants were out at the time, and so Ernest gained admission, and after a slight search came across apple pies and a bottle of whisky. After disposing of as much refreshments as would satisfy him he began another tour round the house.

In his travels he came across a well-stocked wardrobe, choosing fitting raiment, white silk stocking, a new suit, collar and tie, and a trilby hat, he donned these, leaving his own suit in exchange. His next discovery was a pair of white tennis shoes, which he substituted for his old worn out boots. Later he found three rings, the total value of which was £17, and placing these on his fingers he left the house, not having forgotten to curl his moustache with a box of bongreise.

He then proceeded through Gatley and Cheadle without mishap, but upon arrival at Brinksway he was noticed as to be behaving in rather an eccentric manner. The half bottle of whisky which he drank no doubt accounted for this, and Sergeant SEED found it necessary to arrest him, thinking perhaps he had escaped from the asylum. He was then wearing the articles enumerated, and displaying stolen rings.

Superintendent McHALE drew attention to the conduct of Mr HARTLEY, of Sharston Hall, in this matter. He had lent his telephone and placed his motor at the disposal of the police, and rendered every possible assistance. He (POGSON) was remanded for further inquiries.

Before His Honour Judge Reginald BROWN, K.C., at the Ashton County Court, on Thursday, Mary COOK sued Walter and Mary PRICE, executors of the will of the late Mary Ann BOARDMAN, for £9 4s, money alleged to have been lent on a promissory note, dated 21st of June 1897. Mr G HEATHCOTE appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr Arthur LEES represented the defendants.

According to the evidence of the plaintiff she lent the late Mrs BOARDMAN, who was a friend of hers, £9 4s. After she died she waited for some time expecting the will to be proved, but this she said had not been done. She alleged that PRICE and his wife had received sums of money on insurance policies on the life of deceased, and, therefore, she maintained they were liable for the payment of the sum mentioned.

Mr LEES, for the defendants, said the deceased was formerly a confectioner in Old-street, Ashton, but getting into difficulties she sold the policies to PRICE and his wife for £35. His Honour said he was satisfied a bargain to that effect had been made, and he gave a verdict for the defendants.

Sir, - The present is a very opportune time to draw attention to the means whereby infection is carried and spread. It perhaps does not occur to many people the risk there is in our present unclean method of using table salt from an open dish or salt cellar, as it is always exposed to the dust and germs floating about in the atmosphere. Knowing also the affinity salt has for moisture, it is only reasonable to expect that it will absorb this from a sick room (which may possibly be humidified artificially) and then take up the germs of disease at the same time.

The American custom of using salt in castors – the same as we use pepper – which seems a more common sense method. No spoons being required, it does not spill about the table, is evenly spread over the food, and kept free from dust.
Yours truly, PREVENTION

DRUNK ON LICENSED PREMISES. – A charge of being drunk on licensed premises at Waterloo on May 2nd was preferred against John QUARMBY and John WINTERBOTTOM at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday. – Both defendants pleaded guilty, and were fined 10s including costs.

SEQUEL TO MAY DAY. – In answer to a charge of being drunk in charge of a horse and cart at Bardsley on May 1st, Jos. CLAYTON pleaded guilty at the Ashton County Police Court on Wednesday, and told the magistrates that on account of May Day he got a little more than he should have done. – Fined 5s 6d and costs.

BOWLING MATCHES. – C LOWNDES v. J SCHOFIELD, of Ashton, played on Monday 31 up, for £5, on the green at the Dog and Partridge Inn, Waterloo. SCHOFIELD won by one point. On the same afternoon W H ANDREW, of Waterloo, and T SCOTT, of Waterhead, met on the same green and played 81 up, for £20, SCOTT having 18 start. ANDREW gradually lessened the points given, and at half-time the scores were:- SCOTT, 51; ANDREW, 47. On resuming, they paired at 51, when ANDREW forged ahead, and won by 18 points, the final scores reading:- ANDREW, 81; SCOTT, 63.

”Felt Himself to be a Dying Man”

At the Ashton Borough Police Court, on Thursday, before Messrs J KERSHAW (in the chair) and W TIPPING, a shabbily-dressed man named Robert James PARKINSON, was before the magistrates charged with attempting to obtain alms by false pretences on May 18th. Mr A LEES appeared to prosecute.

Mr A LEES said that at one time the defendant was a member of a Masonic Lodge, but he had not paid any subscriptions for a long time. The brethren of the Order were making an effort to prevent people perpetrating fraud on the almoners, whose duty it was to bring any case that came to their notice before the magistrates. There were about 200 or 300 known characters going about the country obtaining relief under the guise of Masonry.

James William POWNALL said: I am the almoner and treasurer of the local Masonic Lodges. On Monday afternoon just about 1 o’clock, the prisoner called at my shop, 13 Bow-street. He said he was a poor and distressed Mason, had just walked from Manchester, and that he felt very ill. He had been in Crumpsall Hospital for four months, and had only been out a fortnight. I recognised the prisoner as having called upon me on the 9th May 1902, and on that date I gave him 5s, and then he made a similar statement as having only just come out of Blackpool Hospital, where he had been for three months.

I told him I had reasons for doubting his statement as to having been in Crumpsall Hospital for the past four months, and charged him with having for upwards of twelve months past been continuously seeking relief from Masons privately in Liverpool. He replied, “I don’t remember this – it must be another person. I asked him his reasons for continuing his practices after having been cautioned, and he did not reply.

I have ascertained that the defendant was made a member of Lodge 958, St Aubins, Jersey, on the 21st 1892, but had never subscribed since. He had previously told me that he had paid up to the end of last year. On September 20th 1901, he was relieved by the Liverpool Committee with 10s, and also on 14th March 1902, and on 1st May 1902 at Darwen; on 9th May 1902 at Ashton; on 9th July 1902 at Huddersfield; also by the Manchester Committee on 9th September 1902 with 20s, on 19th September 1902, 5s, and 12th May 1903, 10s, and probably other places I have not received notice of.

The prisoner also said that he had been discharged from the Army in consequence of ill-health. This is not so, as a discharge certificate was found upon him, showing that he had served the complete term of twelve years, and had left with “Good Conduct.” I subsequently gave the prisoner into the custody of Constable TUMELTY

Defendant said Mr POWNALL had retained his Masonic certificates. He should like the Bench to see them. When he went into Mr POWNALL’s shop, he said he could not ask for anything, but he wished to state his case. He said he felt himself to be a dying man, and he did not know what to do. Mr POWNALL proceeded to ask him several questions.

Mr POWNALL said that was perfectly true. Defendant appeared to be in indifferent health, and he thought it would be a charity if he was put into hospital. He had written to his brother, but had received no communication. He believed he was respectably connected and had had a good education, and had no doubt seen better days.

The Chairman: The man is evidently bad and something might have been given to him, and then he could have been sent about his business. We shall discharge him and give him a little of something. – Mr POWNALL: I told him I would relieve him. – Mr J SNELL (Chief Constable): He has not been detained here; he has been to the Workhouse Hospital. – The Chairman: You must give up going about the country. – Mr POWNALL promised to take defendant to his shop and relieve him, and help him all he could.

VAGRANCY. – At the County Petty Sessions held at Hyde on Monday, John HUGHES, Mark SHAW, and Thomas HOE were summoned for begging at Dukinfield on various dates. It was stated that SHAW resided in Ogden Square, and was a Dukinfield man. They were all sent to prison for seven days.

PIGEON FLYING. – At the Railway Inn, Dukinfield, the monthly belt (distance 1½ miles) resulted: BUTTERWORTH’s Shoulder of Mutton, 1min 54secs; RIMMER’s Young Jack, 1min 58secs; WADE’s Red Cock, 2mins 8secs. Mapper, Thos. COOP (Hollingworth); timers Messrs WHITEHEAD and NEWTON. – From the Railway Hotel (Astley-street), Dukinfield Hall, a belt flown over 1½ miles, in a side wind, resulted:- T WILDE’s Too Slow, 1min 36secs; J OATES’s Express, 1min 41secs. Referee and timers, Messrs W HARRISON and J S BRITMER. Mapper, T COOP (Mottram).

CHARGE OF DRUNK AND DISORDERLY. – At the Police Court on Thursday Eliza HOPWOOD who carried a child in her arms was summoned for being drunk and disorderly in Highfield-street on the 16th. She pleaded not guilty of being drunk. – A Constable stated that at 10.50pm he saw defendant in a drunken condition, using dirty language and creating a great disturbance by beating her father in the street. – Defendant said she was not drunk. She and her father were having a bit of bother about the rent. – Fined 2s 6d costs, the bench “havin’ their doots” about her statement.

REFORM CLUB, TOWN LANE. – On Tuesday evening last the members of the above club were again entertained to supper. Alderman STAFFORD and Councillor WILLIAMS gave a general invitation to members to meet them and a good number availed themselves of the hospitality, and ample justice was done. An adjournment was afterwards made to the concert room, where thanks to Alderman STAFFORD and Councillor WILLIAMS were given; also to the curator and curatrix for their excellent catering. A musical programme followed when Mr E MOODY officiated at the piano and songs were rendered by Messrs J TOUGHEY, J STAFFORD, W WILLIAMS, G PEARL, W E GRAINGER, and others. Mr Fred MAKIN made a capable chairman, and a most enjoyable evening was spent.

ASTLEY DEEP PIT SICK AND ACCIDENT FUND. – On Tuesday evening a meeting of the Astley Deep Pit Sick and Accident Fund was held at the Angel Inn, King-street. Mr James BUCKLEY (president) occupied the chair, and was supported by Messrs A ELCE and James CROSSLEY (trustees), and J W TAYLOR (secretary). The meeting was convened to consider a communication from the Registrar of Friendly Societies with respect to the winding up of the fund, and a division of the finances.

The registrar suggested that the funds be divided as follows:- Each married man to receive two shares for himself and his wife, and each single man and widower one share each. – After some discussion it was resolved that the Registrar’s suggestion be accepted, the division of the funds to take place on the 7th of June. The meeting closed with a vote of thanks to Mr F W UTTLEY for generously providing refreshments for those who attended the meeting, a similar compliment also being paid to the chairman.

Yesterday (Friday) noon, Mr F NEWTON, district coroner, held an inquest at the Astley Arms, Robinson-street, touching the death of Charles PATTIN, aged 65 years, of 14 Wagstaffe-street, who was found in his house on Wednesday night with a terrible gash in his throat, life being extinct. Mr Samuel WINTERBOTTOM, of the Stakes Inn, was the foreman of the jury.

Annie PATTIN said: I live at 14 Wagstaffe-street, and deceased was my husband. He was 65 years of age last February, and was by trade a tinplate worker. For about a week he had been out of work, though of late he had worked irregularly, and had been depressed and low spirited. On Wednesday afternoon I asked him what he would like for tea, and I went out for the purpose of going an errand.

I was away about a quarter of an hour, and upon my return I missed deceased. I went through into the kitchen, and there found him laid on the kitchen floor at the foot of the stairs with his throat cut, and dead. He had never threatened to take away his life. The knife produced was near to deceased as he laid on the floor. Witness was greatly upset at the conclusion of her evidence, and had to be assisted from the room.

A verdict of suicide during temporary insanity was returned.

Application to Terminate a Compensation Order

Mr Adshead ELLIOTT, barrister, applied at the Ashton County Court, on Thursday, before His Honour Judge Reginald BROWN, K.C., on behalf of Messrs STOTT and Son, and Co, Ltd, builder of Stalybridge, for a termination of the agreement made under the Workmen’s Compensation Act with James HOLLAND, of Ashton-road, Hurst. Mr C H M WHARTON appeared for the respondent.

The case for the applicants was that the man was now able to do work and earn wages. They were willing to give him light employment at the rate of 4d an hour, which would be 18s 2d per week. The accident occurred on the 15th of June 1902, through a mill roof falling in. The respondents had not denied liability, and had paid compensation regularly. Dr TALENT, said Mr ELLIOTT, had examined the man, and was of the opinion that the man exaggerated his injuries.

The respondent told the court that he had been a collier, but since the accident he had not been able to do any work. Since the accident he had never ceased to feel pain. The firm began to make offers in May 1902 to settle the matter, and in April this year he went back to his work, and got the men’s dinners ready. There was too much stooping, and it hurt him. The next day he could not go back as he felt so bad.

Replying to the judge, the respondent stated that his wife and two little children depended upon him. At the time of the accident he was doing a labourer’s work, and was getting 28s per week. His Honour thought the man was not in a fit condition to work, and he dismissed the application.

Mills to Cease Working

There was a fairly numerous company of millowners and others at the George and Dragon Hotel, Ashton, on Tuesday night, when the cotton spinning mills and premises known as Messrs Reyner Ltd, Cockbrook Mills, were offered for sale by auction.

For some months past it has been generally known that the mills were to be closed as soon as the orders on hand had been worked up, and an official communication was made that in the event of not being sold as a going concern, the mills would be stopped at the end of the present month, and stripped of the machinery, after which the buildings and site would be sold.

In addition to the mill premises, there were also 16 cottages offered for sale, numbered 1, 3, and 5 Stamford-street, and to 13 (inclusive) Corkland-street, adjoining the mills, producing a gross yearly rental of £172 18s. The land on which the mills are built is freehold, and contains an area of 21,933 square yards or thereabouts (a considerable portion of which is vacant), and subject to ground rents amounting to £122 9s 4d. There is a reservoir upon the land, and valuable water rights connected with the property. The engines, boilers, gearing, and machinery (30,036 mule spindles) were included in the sale.

The auctioneer, after reading out the conditions of sale, asked for bids for the mills and £5,000 was offered, followed by bids of £6,000 and £6,500. Several £100 bids were made until the amount reached £7,000, and as there were no further offers the property was withdrawn. The land, buildings, and cottages were next offered, for which the bidding started at £5,000 and rose to £5,200, at which figure the lot was withdrawn.

The Church of England Schools

Mr Samuel WILLIAMSON, hon. Secretary, has favoured us with a copy of the programme of the Whitsuntide procession for united Church of England Sunday Schools of Stalybridge on Whit Friday. The arrangement are:-

1. Meet on the Market Ground at Half-past Nine prompt.

2. Position of Schools on the Market Ground:- (1) Old St George’s, facing the Baths, to go out Stamford-street end, (2) Holy Trinity (Castle Hall), to the right of Old St George’s, (3) Holy Trinity Mission Hall to the right of Castle Hall, (4) Christ Church to the right of Holy Trinity Mission Hall, (5) St George’s (the Hague), up to the right of Christ Church.

3. To sing five verses of the 100th Psalm, and three verses of the National Anthem. Councillor Sydney HALL, Esq. Hymns to be played by the Old Band.

4. The following is the route: Market Ground, Stamford-street, Market-street, Melbourne-street, Grosvenor-square, Grosvenor-street, High-street, to Stanley-square, where the United Procession will end, and each school will take its respective route.

St George’s (the Hague) do not join the United Procession. They leave the Market Ground by way of Corporation-street.

As the motor-car approached the street corner, a young man sprang directly to the front of it, and, waving his arms, cried: “Now come on, will you?” The car struck him squarely in the chest and threw him ten feet ahead. Rising quickly, he rushed back at the car and was thrown ahead again. He was about to make another rush when a policeman caught hold of him.

”What’s the matter with you?” growled the officer. “Off your head, eh? “Not at all,” replied the young man. “I was just getting myself in condition for our football match this afternoon.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.