26 September 1903

An Untruthful Lodger

Judge BRADBURY marked his sense of the behaviour of a young man named Lewis BUCKLEY, of Dean-terrace, Parkbridge, who came before him at the Oldham County Court on Thursday as defendant to a suit brought by two elderly maiden ladies named COVERLEY, of 66 Chelmsford-street, Oldham. Mr HOLROYD appeared for the Misses COVERLEY, and Mr SIXSMITH was for the defendant.

The suit was for £15 12s for board and lodgings, 10s for money lent, and £15 8d for goods supplied. According to the story of the two ladies the defendant had been a lodger with them for about 2½ years. He was employed by the Anchor Spinning Company, but in November last he was discharged from that employment, and was for a long time out of work.

The plaintiffs allowed him to continue to lodge with them up to May last, with an interval when he went to his mother’s house at Blackpool, and during all that time he was allowed to board and lodge on credit. He promised to pay up when he got work, and he went out frequently saying that he was going to look for work.

The plaintiffs several times asked him for some money, as they were quite dependent upon the earnings of their lodging house keeping, but though he told them that he had £100 in the bank they never got anything. They lent him 2s 6d on one occasion for pocket money, and 7s 6d on another occasion to go to Blackpool, and they also bought material and made him shirts and other garments in preparation for his marriage. He told them that he had got a situation at Burnley at £5 a week for which it was necessary that he should be married.

The defendant went into the witness box and told a very different tale. He said that although he was out of work he had £30 saved and he paid his way regularly every week. He denied ever having borrowed any money from the plaintiffs or having promised a cheque, or that he told them he had £100 in the bank. He swore that he had paid his lodgings every week up to the time of his leaving.

The Judge closely cross-examined the defendant, and had occasion to reprimand him for fencing with the questions — repeating the question instead of answering it, a trick which always arouses Judge BRADBURY’s distrust of a witness. After the Judge had concluded his questions he remarked sternly to the defendant: I don’t believe a word you say. I shall give judgment for the full amount claimed, £16 17s 8d, with an order for immediate execution, with costs.

A murmur of applause ran around the crowded courtroom on the Judge giving this decision. Very great interest was taken in this case by visitors from Park Bridge and neighbourhood. And the decision of the Judge was generally endorsed.

Negotiations with Stalybridge

The Ashton and Stalybridge electric tramways authorities are, it is stated, to smoke the friendly calumet together (peace pipe — Ed), and if possible to come to some amicable arrangement with regard to temporary through-running powers.

The recent letter sent from Ashton to the Stalybridge Joint Electric Tramways Board, containing an offer of £7 a week for Ashton to run through cars, and take the receipts, has been replied to, and Stalybridge do not see their way to accept it, but alternative proposals are made as a basis of settlement, and a meeting of the two authorities is arranged to take place before the next meeting of the Ashton Tramways Committee, which is on Tuesday night.

The connections between the Ashton and Stalybridge systems were made at Cockbrook, on Wednesday, when an ingenious system of insulation was introduced by the tramways manager (Mr COVENEY), and a feeder cable will be provided for supplying the current to Stalybridge.

Such progress has been made with the overhead equipment in the borough that it is expected to be completed by Tuesday or Wednesday next, in which event the cars will be ready for running immediately the Government inspector, in response to the communication sent to him, is in a position to visit Ashton and inspect and pass the undertaking.

At the Ashton County Court on Thursday, before his Honour Judge Reginald BROWN, K.C., an application was made by Mr C J DIBB (official receiver) to commit Mr J HALL, veterinary surgeon, of Ashton, for contempt of court in not having complied with the provisions of the Bankruptcy Act.

Mr DIBB said the receiving order and the adjudication dated so far back as the 30th of June last year, and the bankrupt had up to the present moment failed to account for all the book debts which were due. Bankrupt had written a letter dated the previous day, stating that he found it impossible to finish his accounts for the morrow, and that he had about 20 more accounts to make out.

In a few days or a week the letter stated the bankrupt would be able to place all the accounts in the Official Receiver’s hands. He (Mr DIBB) had received a large number of similar letters from the bankrupt, stating definitely that the accounts would be in by certain dates, and he had made promises to the Registrar.

What he would suggest to his Honour was that there should be an order for commitment, and that it should not be put in force for a fortnight, and that if in the meantime bankrupt did the needful and made an affidavit that he had handed to him the whole of the accounts, he would not press the matter. Mr Hall: I can, sir.

Mr DIBB said that since the notice of the application he had received from bankrupt 13 more accounts, from which he hoped to recover about £50 or £60. — His Honour: I am glad to hear that you have had 13 more accounts handed to you.

Mr DIBB: In justice to him the accounts have been beautifully prepared, and while he estimated that only £100 would be recovered from the debts, I have already recovered £450, so it has been worth waiting for from the creditors’ point of view. At the same time, I am losing debts through the statute of limitations. — His Honour: Mind you attend to the matter, otherwise you will be taken away. The application was granted.

Interpleader Claim at Ashton

At the Ashton County Court on Thursday, his Honour Judge Reginald BROWN, K.C., had before him an interpleader claim remitted from the High Court of Justice. This was a claim to the ownership of certain pigs. The execution creditor was Mrs Mary CRABTREE (widow), who was represented by Mr Joseph HURST (solicitor), and the claimant of the pigs, Moses BERRY, was represented by Mr W T HARRIS.

It appears that Mrs CRABTREE had obtained a judgment in the High Court for over £30 against Mr H NUTT and Mrs Hannah WOOD, and that an execution had been levied upon Mrs Hannah WOOD’s premises in Dukinfield. Amongst the effects seized by the Sheriff’s officer were several pigs, three of which had been claimed by a Mrs PRATT, sister-in-law of Mrs WOOD, and a sow and four young pigs were claimed by Moses BERRY.

The claim of Mrs PRATT had been disposed of in the High Court, but that of Moses BERRY came on for trial. Evidence was given by BERRY in support of his having purchased two lots of pigs from Mrs WOOD on the 19th June, and of his having left one sow in the possession of Mrs WOOD who was to keep it for him until it farrowed.

He and his witnesses were closely examined by Mr HURST as to the peculiar circumstances connected with the purchase and the removal of the pigs and also the mode in which the permits for the removal of the pigs to an address at Droylsden had been obtained, and also with regard to the efforts to have the second sow removed after the seizure by the Sheriff’s officer.

In the end his Honour thought that BERRY had proved his claim to the sow and four young pigs, and gave him a verdict with costs.

Ezekiel BROWN, aged 68 years, has just died at the home of his daughter, Mrs George BRONSON, of bronchitis and diabetes. The deceased moved to Beacon Falls with his family 30 years ago. After a few years he purchased a house of Joseph T BOND and remodelled it, with additions, and lived in the house known as High Rock House for 22 years.

Mrs BROWN purchased the house of Jerome MUNSON three years ago, and presented the house and land to her daughter, Mrs George BRONSON, who has rented it to Mrs BOCART.

During the 22 years as proprietor of the High Rock House, Mr BROWN’s health began gradually to fail until he was unable to attend to his business, consequently on the 16th of last December Victor LINGENHELD rented the place, and Mr and Mrs BROWN rented a house of C B CLARK.

The funeral services were held at the home of his daughter, Mrs George BRONSON. Court Unity, F of A, sent a delegation, including Chief Ranger Alfred ASHMORE and other officers, to represent the Court at the funeral of their deceased brother. Rev Mr MORRIS, of Bethany, conducted services at the house and at the grave. The fraternal services were conducted by the Chief Ranger of Court Unity, F of A.

A pillow of flowers with the word “Brother” was given by Court Unity, and there were other handsome floral tributes. A large number of friends attended the service. The deceased leaves a wife and one daughter, Mrs George BRONSON, to mourn his loss. The interment was in Pinesbridge Cemetery. Much sympathy is extended to the family.

Sequel to an Ashton Engine Sale

Before his Honour Judge Reginald BROWN, K.C., at the Ashton County Court, on Thursday, the case of George BRADSHAW, firewood dealer at Stalybridge, against J T COOPER, cooper, Mill-lane, Ashton, for damages for alleged misrepresentation on the sale of an engine and boiler, was heard. Mr HEWITT, solicitor, appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr RYCROFT, barrister, Manchester, represented the defendant.

When the case was called at Stalybridge in December, his Honour then thought a settlement might be arrived at before the hearing of the defendant’s case came up, but Mr RYCROFT now informed the court that no settlement had been arrived at. He outlined the case for the defendant, and said the boiler and engine were sold to the plaintiff for £14, but the plaintiff now argued that he was told it was fit to work for two years.

After it had been working for six or seven weeks the boiler commenced to leak, and became totally useless. The plaintiff asked for a return of £4 as it had turned out bad, and said nothing about a warranty. He contended there was no warranty, and produced evidence to this effect.

The defendant said he had a gas engine for sale in May of last year, but the plaintiff wanted the steam engine he himself was using. He decided to let them have it, and use the gas engine himself, but said nothing about it lasting two years.

His Honour thought no warranty had been given that the engine would do the work of the plaintiff, neither did he think there was any implied warranty or express warranty given. He found judgment for the defendant on the claim, the counter claim having been withdrawn.

It is with deep regret that we announce the death of Mr Isaac WALKER, of Penn-street, Frankford, Philadelphia, USA. Deceased was formerly employed as a self-acting minder at the North End Mills, Stalybridge, but left there to go to Canada during the cotton panic, about 41 years ago. He was well known as a member of the Congregational Church, Melbourne-street, Stalybridge, and took an active interest in the Young Men’s Mutual Improvement Society, being a teacher of arithmetic.

Referring to his death, an American contemporary says:— Isaac WALKER, the well-known manufacturer, died at 6.30 yesterday afternoon at his home, Penn and Overington-streets, aged 63 years. He had been ill for nearly a year with heart failure, but had only been confined to the house the last six weeks.

Mr WALKER was born in England, and came to America about 42 years ago. He settled in Canada for a short time, and then went into the grocery business at the Falls of Schuylkill, where he was married. He came to Frankford about 30 years ago to superintend the spinning department Garard's Mills. Some years later he went into the spinning business on his own account, and located in Crankshaw's Mills. The business was a success.

He afterwards formed a partnership with Gideon RICHMOND, under the firm name of Walker and Richmond, removing the plant to the Frogmoor Mills. The business was conducted for upwards of ten years, until 1896, when the mill was destroyed by fire and the partnership dissolved. Mr WALKER rebuilt the mill and continued the business until about two years ago, when he retired from the manufacturing business.

He leaves a wife and two daughters, Mrs George LOCKHART and Mrs Lillie HOLMES, and a son, J Stanley WALKER, of the Survey Department. The funeral will take place on Monday afternoon at two o'clock.

At the Police Court on Monday, Mary Ann OGDEN was charged with being disorderly in Bridge-street, and William Henry OGDEN, her husband, was summoned for being drunk and disorderly at the same time.

PC BARROW said that at about 10.20 on the 12th inst he saw the male defendant in Bridge-street. He had occasion to speak to him about his conduct, and while doing so Mary Ann came up and commenced shouting and cursing. He said he would have to report them, and asked them for their names and addresses, but they both gave wrong ones.

Mary Ann during the constable’s evidence grew rather excited, and constantly interrupted him, swearing that he was telling lies. — William Henry pleaded not guilty. — Constable BARRON deposed to seeing him create a disturbance, shouting and cursing; he gave a wrong address. — Defendant said he gave the name of “Mr Nothing,” because he was not guilty. — The magistrates took a lenient view of the case, and fined them half a crown each.

A friendly gathering of railway servants was held at the Rose and Crown Inn, Stalybridge, on Saturday evening, when a presentation of a walking stick and smoker’s outfit was made to Mr Alfred DAWSON, which had been subscribed for by the staff at Stalybridge Joint Station, to show the respect in which he was held by the staff generally, he having left the service and gone to Summers’ works after being on the railway for about 15 years.

The chair was occupied by Signalman S C HOMER, who, after a few suitable remarks, called upon Colonel George PEARSON to make the presentation, which he did in his usual able manner, giving some good advice to all. The genial stationmaster, Mr BRAMBY, was present, and testified to the esteem in which Alfred DAWSON was held by his late comrades, and all wished him success in his new sphere of life.

After the presentation the chair was occupied by Mr David HILTON, and the rest of the evening was spent in songs and recitations. Songs were given by G H KENWORTHY, H GOSLING, H COLLINS, Tom DAWSON, Herbert BEELEY, Arthur CORKNELL, Abraham THORP, Jack MORTON, and Ernest COLLINS. Mr William GRUNDY gave two excellent recitations. Harry LEE presided at the piano.

Annual Show

The annual show of potatoes, fruit, flowers, and vegetables in connection with the Gardeners’ Arms, Taunton-road, is always looked forward two with considerable interest by growers and other in the district. This was especially the case when the annual event took place on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, there being large crowds of visitors.

The show had the distinction this year of having on exhibition the largest potato grown in the Ashton district for many years weighing 28 ounces, shown by Jonathan FIELDING. The largest potato last year was 21 ounces.

The show was, as usual, held in the large corrugated iron building behind the Gardeners’ Arms, which was turned into a little fairy garden by choice decorations of prettily disposed plants, ferns, flowers, and festoons of flags and creepers suspended from the ceiling, the work of Mr and Mrs Harry KALENY, the host and hostess, who received great praise from the many visitors for their artistic skill.

The first advertisement which was known to have appeared in 1648 for two horses which had been stolen; but since then the general tone of advertisements has risen, and is rising and improving. Here is a tit bit from a paper in the last century, the like of which we don’t see now:—

”I, Elizabeth WILKINSON, of Clerkenwell, having had some words with Hannah HYFIELD, and requiring satisfaction, I do invite her to meet me on the stage and fight for three guineas, I and she to hold half-a-crown in each hand, and the one who lets the money fall first to lose the day.”

The next week comes the answer to this as follows:— “I, Hannah HYFIELD, will not fail, God willing, to give Elizabeth WILKINSON more blows than words. She may expect from me a good dressing, and no favour, the Lord be my helper.”

In a Yankee paper appeared the following:— A splendid horse fell in the Broadway of New York, and it was dangerous to get him on his legs until some operation was performed upon him. White he lay there it was thought he should do some good, so a bill-sticker posted a large poster on his side, which, of course, thousands read. Here is a copy of it: “James Brown, 17 Chestnut-street, bug destroyer to President Johnson, Queen Victoria, and the Emperor of the French.”

Here is another:— “Solution of the great American difficulty.” This appeared during the American war, and is as follows:— “All Negroes notice. You can become white. Levare’s recent discovery will remove the pigmentary deposits from the skin, changing the darkest complexion to a bright olive in the course of from three to ten weeks. This compound is free from all poisonous and irritating qualities and although its effects are rapid, yet it is perfectly harmless to the skin.”

Another:— “The Necessities of Life — A fire in winter, a meal in hunger, a drink in thirst, a bed at night, a lucifer in the dark, and — what? — Kaye’s Wordsell’ Pills at all times.”

A fellow in Lincoln advertised a small box for sale containing an infallible cure for rats and mice in corn stacks. It was a piece of paper in a pill box with the words on it, “Catch them and kill them.”

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.