15 October 1904

John   Wilson ,
211  and  213,  STAMFORD-STREET,



All the Most Styleish Patterns,




Is Obesity Hereditary?

There seems to be a prevalent idea that in many cases the tendency to obesity is hereditary; and, indeed, an eminent English medical scientist suggests that it may be handed down from parent to offspring. There is no doubt that this unfortunate belief deters many stout persons from following whole-heartedly any course of curative treatment, with the result that excessive corpulence is more general than it should be.

Readers of that admirable book, Corpulency and the cure, by the well-known specialist, Mr F. Cecil Russell, may take heart from the author's experience in the treatment of many thousands of cases. We will quote his figures. He says: Out of this large number (13,599 cases) I find that in 9,153 cases neither parent was stout; in 2,034 the mother was stout, in 1,229 the father was stout, and in only 1,192 cases both parents were stout.

This very conclusively proves that the bogey of hereditary tendency or constitutional predisposition is not so fearsome as many unfortunately believe. And even if it were, the famous Russell treatment for the permanent cure for corpulency is sufficiently potent to effectually destroy the tendency to put on flesh, as it has done in every case where it has been where it has been carefully followed.

The Russell treatment is in direct conflict with old-time processes of fat reduction, which too frequently ruined the constitution by semi-starvation, drugging, and other treatments. Mr Russell conceived the idea that the reducing process should be at the same time a strengthening one, so that at the finish the subject should be not only reduced to normal weight and graceful proportion, but should be greatly improved in health and strength.

That is the whole secret of the colossal success of the Russell treatment which improves the appetite, tones up the digestive organs, and makes it an essential condition of the regime that the subject shall eat plentifully of five most wholesome foods foods to nourish the blood and form muscle, nerve, and brain tissue.

There are no irksome restrictions. The treatment is by every respect simple, pleasant, and easy, causing no stomarchic or intestinal disturbance, nor any discomfort of any sort. The practical agent employed is a pleasant liquid of purely herbal constituents, the recipe of which is given in Corpulency and the Cure.

Decrease of weight sets in from the very first, so from four and twenty hours of beginning the treatment the weighing-machine will prove a primary reduction of 1lb. To 2lb. This is followed by a speedy daily decrease until the permanent attainment of symmetrical proportions and correct weight for height, together with completely restored health and vigour.

Our advice to our stout readers is, dismiss from the mind all fear of a chronic tendency, hereditary or otherwise. Obesity in its severest aspects can be cured by the Russell treatment when all other methods of fat reduction have proved either useless or merely temporary. Our next advice is, read that wonderful book, Corpulency and the Cure. In its 256 closely-printed pages it embraces everything that a stout person desirous of permanent relief may wish to know.

Anyone may obtain a copy of Corpulency and the Cure by sending three penny stamps (for private postage) to the author, Mr F. Cecil Russell, Welburn House, Store-street, Bedford-square, London, W.C. There is no work on the subject which deserves more attentive reading.


A Boy Killed Driver and Passengers Seriously Injured Cottage House Wrecked
Shortly after twelve o'clock to-day (Tuesday) a terrible accident occurred at Millbrook in connection with the local tramway scheme, one life already being sacrificed and others despaired of.

At the hour stated a single-decked car driven by Ernest KNELL was proceeding along Huddersfield-road from Stalybridge in the direction of Millbrook, and when descending Ditchcroft the car jumped the metals and dashed at a terrific pace down the incline, finally plunging into the gable end of a cottage house at the corner of Hartley-street, and wrecking the building.

The stonework of the cottage fell outwardly, and a little boy Thomas McCABE, aged 3 years and 11 months, who resides in Millbrook with his parents was buried in the debris.

The car presented a totally wrecked condition, and the screams of the few passengers were heartrending to the people about. Assistance was quickly at hand, villagers coming to the scene with commendable promptitude, and doing all in their power to assist the unfortunate sufferers.

A diligent search for young McCABE was at length successful, but life was found to be extinct, his injuries being of a terrible nature. The driver was shockingly injured, but the conductor, Thomas WINDLE, practically escaped, though all the passengers sustained shock.

Injured Passengers
The passengers injured were:
           Mr William UNDERWOOD, contractor, Dukinfield
           Mrs WHITEHEAD, 35, Stamford-street, Glossop (very seriously injured.)
           Mrs THORNHILL and James NEAL, 17, Primrose-terrace, Glossop
           Miss LEE, Top o' Green, Micklehurst
           Jack SMALLEY, a boy, of Cambridge-terrace, Millbrook, and
           Jane KAY, 377, Huddersfield-road, Millbrook

Opening of the Inquest
Sympathy with the Bereaved Parents

Mr F. NEWTON (district coroner) opened the inquest on the body of Thomas McCABE on Thursday noon, at the Royal Oak Inn, Millbrook. Representing the Joint Tramway Board were Mr J.W. SIMISTER, solicitor, and Mr Frank SCHOFIELD, commercial manager, while the tenant of the wrecked cottage (Mr Edward BUCKLEY) was represented by Mr H. GARSIDE IVES.

Captain BATES (Chief Constable) was also in attendance. The jurymen were Messrs James CROSSDALE, J.W. HIBBERT, J.B. WRIGLEY, James WILSON, James BRAMHALL, John KIRKPATRICK, Samuel HILL, Aaron HEAP, Wright HYDE, Sam TAYLOR, Joseph OLDHAM, and Alfred MERCER.

Mr HIBBERT was foreman of the jury who, having been sworn, proceeded to view the body which lay in the home of the parents in Grafton-street. Upon returning to the inquiry room, the mother of the unfortunate lad was called into the room. She was very much depressed, and was well wrapped in shawls in consequence of her poorly condition, but she gave her evidence extremely well. In reply to the Coroner, Mrs McCABE said she was not legally represented.

Mother's Testimony
Sophia Polly McCABE, wife of Thomas McCABE, of 35, Grafton-street, Millbrook, said: Thomas McCABE, the deceased, was my son, and would have been four years of age had he lived to the end of this month (31st October). At about five minutes to twelve o'clock on Tuesday morning he came into the house and I gave him a jam and bread. I said, Now, Tom, play about here, and he replied, Yes, mammie, I will. He then went out and his dead body was brought home by Constable STUBBS in about three quarter of an hour afterwards.

The Coroner: Any questions to ask Mrs McCABE? No questions were put and the Coroner having read the evidence over, the witness signed the deposition

The Coroner: Gentlemen, I think I may take the liberty of expressing your sympathy, along with my own, with Mrs McCABE in the sad loss she has sustained by the death of her little boy. (Hear, hear.) Mrs McCABE: Thank you, sir. The case was adjourned.

Charge of Selling During Prohibited Hours

At the Ashton Borough Court, on Monday, the licensee of the Portland-place Tavern was charged under the Licensing Act with selling intoxicating liquors during prohibited hours on the 1st of October. He pleaded not guilty. Joseph ALLCOCK, Thomas STAFFORD, and Mary Ellen STAFFORD were charged with aiding and abetting in the offence, and also denied the offence.

From the evidence tendered it appeared that Inspector McFEELEY and Constable WOLFENDEN in consequence of a communication, visited the house at five minutes to one on the morning of October 1st. The vault was lit up and the two officers heard voices. Almost immediately on their arrival the front door was opened and they entered.

There they found the defendants seated in the vault. Inspector McFEELEY asked what the meaning of that was, and received the reply that it was all right. The Inspector asked, What do you mean? Thomas STAFFORD is my son and the woman is his wife, and ALLCOCK has served for the last ten years, Mrs STAFFORD answered. The licensee later said the place was not open.

In the vault there was a jug, a pint pot and a glass, evidently recently used for it contained about half an inch of beer and an inch of froth Defendant: Who was that peeping round the window? Inspector McFEELEY: I don't know. Defendant: My mama didn't tell you that ALLCOCK had been with us for 10 years, because I have only kept the house for six. Constable WOLFENDEN corroborated, and said Mrs STAFFORD said ALLCOCK had helped them for 10 years.

STAFFORD's version of the affair was that on Friday night, his wife being ill he, hadn't had time to clean the pumps, and therefore asked ALLCOCK to help him. He did so, and his daughter-in-law was also asked to stop. She agreed, and whilst they were his (defendant's) son appeared, and they all sat down together. He saw somebody peeping at the window, and immediately opened the door. Nobody had drinks, nor had there been any beer drawn.

Joseph ALLCOCK, of 92, Charles-street, was sworn, and said he worked in the mill when called for, knocked up, and sometimes helped at the Portland-place Tavern. He corroborated defendant's statement in all essential detail, and said he wanted a drink but never had any. Cross-examined by the Chief Constable: He seldom went to bed because he was out at half-past three, and generally slept in the day time. He would receive about 1s. 6d. for his work there.

Thomas STAFFORD corroborated, and said positively that there was no drink served. His wife testified to the same effect.

The Chairman said the magistrates thought there was no evidence to show that anything was consumed, and therefore the case would be dismissed, but they thought the work ought to be done before eleven o'clock.

Reduced to Common Assault A Sad Domestic History

At the Hyde County Police Court, on Monday, Ann Elizabeth WOODCOCK was again charged after remand with unlawfully wounding Edward WOODCOCK, her husband, at Dukinfield, on September 20, 1904. The magistrates present were Messrs R.W. CHAPMAN, M.P. (presiding), Ed. COCKER, and S. HORSEFIELD. The prisoner was represented by Mr G. HEATHCOTE, of Dukinfield.

Edward WOODCOCK, 11, Furness-street, Dukinfield, furnace operator, said on September 20 he arrived home about 10.30. His wife and son were in the house at the time, and he noticed she had had some drink, though she was not drunk. He said to her, t' old game again. She said, I only had one, but I will have some more.

She then went out, and came in with some more. He called his wife a black _____, and she threw the poker at him, but missed. He said nothing, and then she threw the top of a butter dish at him, but again missed. However she picked up half of a broken plate and struck him just under the eye, causing him to fall to the floor.

The wound bled freely, and his wife left the house, and he did not again see her until that morning. Afterwards he went to Dr Clarke's, and on the way he called to Constable KENNY, who attended to the wound, and then took him to the doctor.

Cross-examined, WOODCOCK said he had a decent home for a man in his position. His wife had not always behaved as she should towards him. — Do you think your wife intended to cause you these injuries? Yes. She had thrown knives and forks at me. The night before did you and your wife have a quarrel? I don't want to answer.

(And on that cliff-hanger, this story ends. My apologies, I didn't copy the rest of the article and Tameside Local History Library is now closed while it moves to its new home in Ashton.)

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.