28 May 1904

Prosecution by the Co-operative Society
A Remand for Eight Days Granted

At the Hyde Borough Police Court, on Wednesday morning, before Mr John COOKE, a woman named Lucy ROYLE, of 122 Newton-street, Hyde, was brought up on a charge of having feloniously forged a certain order, or requested payment of the sum of £46, then standing, with other monies, to the credit of Jane Ann SMALLEY on the books of the Hyde Equitable Co-operative Society, Ltd., with intent thereby to defraud, on January 11th, 1904. Mr Joe COOKE, solicitor, appeared to prosecute on behalf of the Co-operative Society, and Mr WILSON represented the defendant.

Mr COOKE said the Co-operative Society were prosecuting this woman on several charges of fraud. The principal charge, he thought, would be of feloniously forging several documents with intent to defraud the society of the sum of £46. He only intended that morning to give formal evidence of arrest, and to ask for a remand for a week on Thursday.

Inspector DIXON stated that he arrested the prisoner and charged her, and she replied, “I know nothing about it. I have not got it. — Mr COOKE: I think that will be sufficient for a remand. — Mr WILSON: I have no objections.

Mr COOKE spoke of the condition of the woman, and said if the bench thought fit to grant substantial bail he did not think he could object under the circumstances. — Mr WILSON took exception to “substantial bail,” and asked for reasonable bail, which Mr COOKE assented to. — A remand for eight days was granted, and bail was allowed, the prisoner being bound over in £20, and two sureties of £10 each.

An inquest was held on Thursday forenoon, at the Infirmary, by Mr J F PRICE, County Coroner.

Annie KENNY, wife of John KENNY, an agent, of 5, Suffolk-street, Ashton, said deceased was her son by her first marriage, and was last employed in Messrs Howe’s cotton waste warehouse. He was 22 last birthday, and had not been living with her for some time, and had been doing no work in particular. He had been lodging at the Model Lodging House.

She last saw him alive on Monday evening, when she spoke to him, and gave him some bread and butter and tea and sugar, and 3d to pay his lodgings. The next she heard was about Tuesday morning when her husband, who had heard of her son’s condition, told her, and she immediately came to the Infirmary. When she arrived, he was unconscious. She again went about three o’clock, and remained with him until death about four o’clock.

Albert GODFREY, night watchman at Lumb Mill, of 5, Clive-street, Taunton, said he knew the deceased personally. Returning home from work by the field paths, he saw deceased lying on the road leading from Taunton to Littlemoss. A man named Thomas BENNETT was stooping over him. When he saw witness approach he walked away about 20 yards, and then returned hesitatingly.

He (GODFREY) asked him what was the matter. He answered that he was dead drunk. Witness suggested they should raise him, but BENNETT said, “Let him lie there, and ------ him,” and walked away in the direction of Littlemoss. Witness tried to rouse the unconscious man, but without success, and he acquainted Constable POLLARD of the occurrence. He saw the bottle produced in his inside breast pocket. When assisting him to the Newmarket Inn deceased smelt very badly of drink, although he could not say that BENNETT was intoxicated.

In answer to a juryman, witness said BENNETT appeared afraid of being discovered, and tried to steal away. There were no signs of any struggle round about.

Constable Ernest POLLARD deposed to receiving information of the occurrence and proceeding to the spot said every effort was made on arrival at the Newmarket Inn to restore consciousness, but without success. He found in deceased’s pocket a table knife, an orange, and two lemons. The bottle was lying on the ground near the man.

It was reported to the police about one o’clock that the Crow Hill Bowling Club, near which the body was lying, had been broken into, and nearly a pint of whiskey, a gill of brandy, two bottles of stout, and two bottles of soda water were missing. Two lemons, a table knife, and an orange had been missing also, and corresponded to those found on CREWE. Inquiries had been made in Ashton and Waterloo, but BENNETT could not be found, and they had heard he had not slept at home that night.

Nurse Martha CURBISHLEY, ward assistant at the infirmary, deposed to receiving deceased on Tuesday in a comatose condition. The stomach pump was used, and he was placed under treatment immediately. There was a smell of whisky about him, and he appeared to be suffering from alcoholic poisoning. He rallied slightly, but never regained consciousness and died about 4 o’clock in the afternoon. Dr JUDSON had said he died from heart failure due to excessive drinking, and accelerated by exposure. A verdict to that effect was returned.

A Wife’s Sad End — Treated as a Lodger

About 6.45 on Monday morning a man named Jos. DYSON was walking round the upper lake, Stamford Park, when he noticed the body of a woman floating in the water. He drew it to the bank and life was then extinct. The body was conveyed on the police ambulance to the mortuary, Ashton Town Hall, and there identified as Emma MARSHALL, aged 44, wife of Joseph MARSHALL, joiner, Cross Hope-street, Ashton. She lived apart from her husband for some time, and is stated to have been very despondent.

The inquest was held in the borough court room, Ashton Town Hall, on Wednesday forenoon, by Mr J F PRICE, district coroner.

Joseph MARSHALL, joiner, 10, Cross Hope-street, Hurst, said the deceased was his wife. They had been separated seven years through his wife’s temper. She had been living at her sister’s in Queen-street, Hurst, and had maintained herself. A fortnight ago last Wednesday she returned to him on account of a trouble having arisen where she lodged in consequence of illness.

During the last fortnight she had been ill, and had been under a doctor at the Infirmary, and also Dr WALLACE. Her nerves had been affected, and she had been strange in her manner, and imagining someone was upstairs. Last Monday morning she went out, and said some policeman had locked her up, and that she would have seven days. All last week she had been threatening to destroy herself.

They retired to bed at 9.30 on Sunday night. She was restless, and she could not go to sleep. Witness missed her out of bed between 12 and 1 midnight. She returned in about five minutes, and got into bed again. She said two “bobbies” had locked her up, and she had got seven days. Witness went to sleep, and awoke at 3,30 a.m., and his wife was not then in bed. He shouted to his sister, who lived with him, and told her his wife had gone. He went out into the street and along the Infirmary-road to look for her, but could not find her.

He heard nothing more until she was taken on the ambulance to the mortuary, and he identified her there. She had been a temperate woman up to last week, when she began to drink heavily, and pulled her wedding ring off, and pawned it. Witness did not give his wife any money when she came back, and treated her as a lodger.

The Coroner: Is it true you have driven her to this? No. Were you drinking last week? No, I was working. — Were you the worse for drink when you came down to the mortuary? No, I was a bit upset. — What made her drink last week? I cannot say. — If anyone calls you a drunken, worthless fellow, is it an untruth? Yes.

The Foreman (Mr Luke PLATT): It seems strange that you accepted your wife as a lodger? She came of her own accord. — You never allowed her the purse, not any facilities for spending money. Your sister seems to have had command? She came only for a week. My sister had been laying all the money out. I saw how her mind was, and did not give her money to go on the spree when I saw her getting drunk. — You said she did not usually go on the spree? For a week, I said. — You say the woman has been temperate? She had been up to last week.

A Juryman: Who maintained her last week? I did, but I turned no money up when I saw her going strange. — The Foreman: It seems a strange thing, and it wants inquiring into. You have been parted and took her back again, and one would expect her to come back as a wife and not a lodger.

The Coroner: What time did you come to see the body in the mortuary? About 10.30 on Monday morning. — You are quite sure you were sober? Yes. — How long had they to keep you here. While they took my statement. — About two hours? (No answer.) — If the police say that neither you nor your sister were sober are they talking an untruth? Yes. — How long did it take them to get out of you what they wanted? About half-an-hour.

Louisa COOK, wife of Mark COOK, said she had been separated from her husband 26 years. The previous witness was her brother, and had lived with her ever since parting from his wife. He liked a drink of beer, but had not stopped off his work through it. Deceased came to the house a fortnight ago, and seemed very strange. Her nervous system got very low, and she threatened to destroy herself. She was drinking all last week, but witness could not say why.

She took a basin of gruel to her in her bedroom on Sunday night, and heard her about the house between 12 and 1 o’clock on Monday morning. Her brother awoke her about six o’clock in the morning, saying his wife had gone again. Witness got up at once, and they both went out on to the Infirmary-road to look for her, but could not find her. The husband had had no drink that morning, and was quite sober, though he was upset. Witness could not say why they parted. Since parting deceased had come occasionally and stayed the week-end.

The Coroner: If anyone says he is a drunken, worthless fellow, is it an untruth? Yes. — By the foreman: It was through her (the witness) that they began to live together again. — The Foreman: What made her take to drink last week? I could not say. She was drinking spirits. — Did she bring them into the house? She went outside. Someone brought her home drunk at 1 o’clock on Saturday morning. — Where did she get the money? She pawned her ring for 12s. 6d. and drank it all.

She told me at dinner time that we should have more trouble with her before she had done. — A juryman: What caused her to say you would have more trouble; had you had some words? No. — Didn’t you ask her the reason for saying that? No. I thought it was only the drink.

Mary Jane FLETCHER, widow, 121, Queen-street, Hurst, said the deceased was her sister, and had lived with her between six and seven years. Deceased had maintained herself by working at the Stamford Manufacturing Company, and was a steady, hardworking, and clean woman. She left witness on her own accord six weeks ago, and went to live with an aunt at Openshaw.

Witness did not know the nature of her illness, only that she kept complaining of her pain in her side, and said she was sure it would drive her out of her mind. Witness had never seen her drunk in her life. She left her husband because she said she could not live with him. He never did what was right to her, and would not work. He drank all he could get hold of, and tried to put the blame on her, but the boot was on the other leg.

His wife had left him several times before. — By the Foreman: She did not believe deceased had pawned the ring as she could find no ticket. She told witness would never take her ring off as long as she lived. — The Foreman: The policeman said the husband came home drunk. — The Coroner: What impression did he give you on Monday morning; did you think he was sober or not? — I do not think he was. — A juryman: Was your sister insured? Yes. — The Coroner: Who has got her insurance? She had always kept herself insured, and would have run out of benefits a fortnight ago had not her brother paid the money. — Have you ever had any children? No, and it has been a blessing.

Joseph DYSON, gardener at Stamford Park, deposed to finding the body about 6.30 on Monday morning. He was on duty at the fishing lake, and saw the body in the water floating face downwards about 11 yards from the side. He went and informed the park-keeper, and they got the grappling hooks and drew the body out. Life was extinct. Deceased must have waded some distance in the water, as this depth increased gradually, and was only 5 feet 6 inches where she was found. Witness discovered a shawl, and a set of false teeth on a stone flag near the ice house.

The Coroner said there was very little doubt that she had committed suicide. Had she fallen in, she would not be likely to have left her shawl and teeth. The road was very wide at that point. — The Foreman: She must have been of unsound mind. — The Coroner: She has evidently been under a delusion. — The Foreman: He had not been very consistent in his evidence. — The Coroner: I have not been satisfied with his evidence at all.

A Juryman: He says he was awakened at 3.30, and his sister says at 6.30. — The Coroner: He says he was sober when he came down here, and the police tell us he was not. — A Juryman: There seems to be more truth in the sister’s evidence than the other. — The Coroner: Whatever he has been, there is no justification for committing suicide. He may or may not have helped to drive her to it.

The jury returned a verdict of suicide whilst of unsound mind.

Two of the Ashton cricketers, Messrs. Percy S. KERSHAW and Reg. KERSHAW, were unfortunate in sustaining injuries in the match with Manchester, at Raynor-lane, on Saturday afternoon..

Percy S. KERSHAW was endeavouring to take a difficult catch at long-on, the ball having been forced a tremendous height by THORNEYCROFT from a delivery by BAILEY. KERSHAW seemed to judge the catch pretty well, but failed to secure the ball, which caught him on the thumb, almost stripping the nail from the flesh, and dislocating the thumb, which caused his retirement early on in the game. The injury was immediately attended to and dressed.

Reg. KERSHAW shortly afterwards tried to make a difficult catch sideways whilst running, but failed. The ball escaped his grasp, and badly strained the little finger of the left hand. Although hardly in a fit condition to bat, he pluckily went in at the end of the innings, but after battling a few minutes had the misfortune to be hit on the same finger by a fast rising ball from SLADEN, which burst the finger.

Both players are very popular, and each is looked upon as a safe catch.

Trying to Frighten His Wife

On Wednesday, at the Stalybridge Police Court, John SINGLETON was in the dock on a charge of having attempted to commit suicide by hanging.

Constable JEPSON said that at 2.15 on Monday afternoon he received information that SINGLETON was trying to take his own life. The officer went to the defendant’s house, and upon going to the bedroom he found the man with a rope tied to the banister and secured around his neck. At the same time his wife was trying to release him, and the officer joined in the effort, whereupon SINGLETON tried to bite him.

Other assistance was procured, and the rope was finally got away, and SINGLETON was locked up at the Town Hall. The constable further informed the Bench that defendant’s riotous conduct was a regular occurrence, and when in drink he was like a madman. When charged, defendant replied that “he only did it to frighten his wife.” — Defendant: I hope you will excuse me this time, sir.

At this stage the Magistrates’ Clerk (Mr John WHITEHEAD) read a letter which had been received from the defendant’s employer, Mr HARGREAVES, paper mill owner. This communication stated that SINGLETON had worked at the mill 18 months, and was a very steady and industrious man up to Saturday last. The writer could only account for defendant’s conduct through drink, which he should not take seeing that he had served in the Indian Army, and suffered from ague. The letter concluded, “Had his wife been at home this might have been avoided, but I hope he will take this as a lesson.”

Defendant’s wife was next called to give her version of the affair, and she expressed surprise at her husband’s conduct, “seeing that they were very comfortable.” — Constable JEPSON: I do not live thirty yards from them, and this kind of thing occurs every week. The neighbours often fetch me at midnight.

Inspector BAMFORTH: I do not think the blame is altogether on his part. I think she is to blame as well. She came to the office yesterday, and I told her not to come again, as she was in drink. — Mrs SINGLETON: No, sir; I have not had a drink since. — Inspector BAMFORTH: Sergeant STITT and I saw her, and we decided not to allow her in any more, as it would only make her husband worse.

The Chairman (Mr KNOTT): Didn’t you say you had only done it to frighten your wife? — Defendant: I did not intend to do it, but I might have made a slip! — (Loud laughter.) — The Clerk: Yes, it might have been a slip too. — (More laughter.) — Defendant: I will see it does not occur again. — Inspector BAMFORTH: I have no desire to press the case, your worships.

The Chairman: Is it a fact you are in the habit of taking drink occasionally? — Defendant: Yes, sir; I cannot hold myself if I get too much, but I promise it will not occur again. — The Chairman: Perhaps it would be better, don’t you think, if you did not take any drink at all? Your wife might also take notice, and then you could both live happily together. Your employer speaks well of you, and you seem to be the worst enemy to yourself.

The Clerk: You had better take the pledge. — The Chairman: Supposing we let you off this time, will you try and keep off the liquor? — Defendant: Yes, sir. — The Chairman: Don’t try to take a little at a time, but leave it off altogether. Now, will you do that? — Defendant: Yes, sir. — The Chairman: Very well; you will be discharged.

On Wednesday at Denton Police Station and inquest was held on the body of William BARDSLEY, of Moss-street, Denton, by Mr J. F. PRICE, the district coroner. Mr William THORNLEY was foreman of the jury.

The first witness was Sarah BARDSLEY, wife of George BARDSLEY, hatter, Oddfellows’ Arms, Ashton-road, Denton. Deceased was her brother-in-law. He was a hatter, and was 37 years of age. He had been lodging with Mrs EASTWOOD, 28, Moss-street, Denton. He was married, but had parted from his wife.

He came to Moss-street about 10 o’clock on Sunday morning. He was very quiet, and was not looking very well. He complained of his head all the week before. He had been in America ten years and returned about nine months ago, and he had complained of his head ever since he came back. He left their house about three o’clock in the afternoon to go to his lodgings, and then to bed. He was under Dr GRIFFIN about six months ago. He was working up to Saturday noon, and was a fairly steady man. He had never threatened to take his life or anything.

Mary Ann EASTWOOD, 28, Monk-street, Denton, said deceased had lodged with her about 10 or 11 weeks. He had not had such good health, and complained of pains in his head. Deceased went out about 9.30 o’clock on Sunday morning. He returned about 3.15 p.m., and said he would lay down, as he did not feel well. He went straight upstairs to rest.

Her nephew went to bed about 3.30, and got in the same bed with deceased. Witness heard him snoring heavily about 5.30 and called him down to tea. Her nephew came down about 6.30 p.m., and said, “I am sure Bill’s dead.” Witness went upstairs and found deceased laying on his face in bed. Witness stirred him, but he fell back again. He had never had any fits, but was always complaining about being starved. Witness sent for the police, and then Dr McGILL.

William POGMORE, of 28, Moss-street, Denton, stated he had known deceased about four months, during which time he had lodged with him at his aunt’s, and occupied the same bed. Deceased had complained of his head hurting him. Witness went to bed about 3.30 on Sunday afternoon. Deceased was then in bed with his clothes on. He was asleep, and witness got in bed with deceased and went to sleep.

Mrs EASTWOOD woke witness about 5.30 p.m., at which time deceased was snoring heavier than usual. Witness did not get up until 6.30, and deceased was then laid with his face downwards on the pillow. Witness tried to wake him, but could not do so.

The Coroner, in summing, said he thought Mrs BARDSLEY had correctly termed it when she said deceased was “wrecked up.” — A verdict of “Death from natural causes” was returned.

During the consideration on Tuesday night by the Irish Football Association of complaints by Belfast clubs against Glossop for approaching and signing on players without the said clubs’ permission, it was alleged that Glossop, having learned that action was about to be taken, wired the captured players to alter the date of the form to a date subsequent to the termination of their agreement with the Belfast clubs. The Irish Association have decided to bring the whole affair under the notice of the International Board.

Creative Commons License Rhodes Family History by Ian Rhodes (1999-2018 v.3.0) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting me.